Tourism ministry says "sorry about your lost arm" - gives flowers to Chinese blogger

webfact

Perhaps it's just me, but handing someone anything other than a massive check when they've lost an arm through no fault of their own is simply uncaring and rude.

I cannot imagine how devastated I would be to lose a limb. Psychologically, I would probably never get over it.

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Perhaps they wanted to make it clear that, in Thailand, a life, an arm (whichever), is worth about as much as a bunch of (really nice ????) flowers...

Well, the norm is what, 40,000bt per life wiped out permanently on the roadways....so whats a measly little arm worth, 500bt? Basically, the flowers might be overkill in this situation, they probably could have gotten away with much less, unless they picked those flowers themselves....hmmm

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Police stated that the company and its driver and the family of the victim would all be getting together to discuss compensation. 

They hoped that some good would come of the investigation in terms of improving road safety and communications.

And Chinese visitors will increase in the month of January !!!!!

Small conspiracy between insurance companies, business owners and the government here, basically the rich.

Insurance companies make money as they pay out only for vehicle damage cheaply instead of expensive personal injury claims in the millions like in the West.

Business owners keep overheads down to make more profit as their insurance premiums are cheap and compensation claims are minimized.

The Government makes money from the businesses and avoids spending any money to improve treatment of victims or fund the police to enforce the law and prevent some accidents.

We just drove from Krabi to Satun and back. The number of mini vans passing us at unbelievable speeds was mind boggling. Around blind corners, into oncoming traffic, they just didn’t care.

And as I posted in another thread, lots of check points and not one was actually stopping anyone.

19 hours ago, Lupatria said:

"could you please hold the flowers up for the photo? Eh no, the other hand please."

4pm_TRA.jpg

Thank you for the photo, now please show us your passport and visa. Overstay is 500b per day.

Police stated that the company and its driver and the family of the victim would all be getting together to discuss compensation. 

...discuss compensation.   I expect the company will say they can offer only whatever their insurance policy provides (if they even have insurance) and they'll have to wait to see what their insurance company says.   And the driver will say "Mai Mee Stang."

These people are crazy.  
The level of incompetency is underrated.  

Tourists should know that coming to Thailand is very risky.  

Anyone riding in a silver van of death (SVD) should make the driver slow down and if he does not, then make him stop and if he does not, then do what you have to do.
Sitting passively by while Somchai Andretti maimes you is not the thing to do.  

sad story. patience for the chinese tourist.

but it is compensation for chinese, 500 000 to a million thb hospital bills for westerners! 

have you ever heard a westerner in similar situation to receive compensation? i havent.

i really dont understand these double standards. they protect chinese but never give a s..it to farang.

i guess they dont want westerners in this country anymore.

Seems to me her ability to grasp the flowers to smell them would be somewhat reduced. Or am I being weird?

Good job she didn't lose her nose as well I suppose.

Still, look on the bright side - the stellar intellects at TAT might have brought her 2 bunches of flowers.

On 1/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, Cereal said:

Perhaps it's just me, but handing someone anything other than a massive check when they've lost an arm through no fault of their own is simply uncaring and rude.

I cannot imagine how devastated I would be to lose a limb. Psychologically, I would probably never get over it.

Is it even a thing in any other country that ministers from the tourism department turn up at the bedside of an injured tourist for a photo op? Tourism board shouldn't be paying out but the tour company should be. 

On 1/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, webfact said:

Tourism ministry says "sorry about your lost arm" - gives flowers to Chinese blogger

4pm_TRA.jpg

This bizarre practice is known along wireless road as "The Hokey-Cokey" ('In-out-in-out-photo-all-about') and is spoonfed to the media before TAT etc even leave hospital as a domestic face-saving measure with no thought whatsoever towards privacy or consent.

Upon reaching an international audience it spectacularly backfires.

Archived