When is a person 50 years old ... in Thailand?

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, like the floors in a building, G often equates to 1. Not just Thailand, I had a Taiwanese gf who also recounted her age this way. Earlier replies are correct 50 = actual age 50.

Yea ain't they good ,no ground floor only level one + etc. I always get the wrong floor in a lift.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, Crossy said:

Dunno about immigration (although I have heard this before), certainly the MRT want to to be a "western" 60 before they'll give you an "elder" card.

Farrang can get BTS and MRT elder card ?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

you said the buzz word  'Farang children' ............. in rural Thailand as in a few other Asian countries they count the year the kid is in their mothers belly, some places have the first birthday 100 days after birth  -  my lady from Vietnam was born in 1977, her passport says 1976, her birth certificate says 1976, but the hospital and church records show her physically born in 1977.    In 1972 I got married to a Thai from Nakon Si Thamarat, her birth certificate was two years out of date, I got in hot water with the Army for applying to marry a 16 year old  (she was 18, I was 22) but her official birth certificate was interpreted wrong nearly sunk me in the Army...........just saying.

"you said the buzz word  'Farang children'"

No, I didn't, you did.

"...my lady from Vietnam was born in 1977, her passport says 1976, her birth certificate says 1976, but the hospital and church records show her physically born in 1977"

What's that got to do with how Thais refer to a person's age?

"In 1972 I got married to a Thai from Nakon Si Thamarat, her birth certificate was two years out of date, I got in hot water with the Army for applying to marry a 16 year old  (she was 18, I was 22) but her official birth certificate was interpreted wrong nearly sunk me in the Army...........just saying".

Who cares?  What's that got to do with anything in this thread?

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, digger70 said:

You can say what you like,My Gf counts the Thai way, when you born that's you're 1st Birthday when you 1 yr old that's you're second birthday, They done the same on my driving licence I told them but they said That's the way we do it. I know it ain't right but hey that's the Thai way.

"You can say what you like..."

I know I can, and the way I explained it is the generally accepted Thai way.

"They done the same on my driving licence…"

Current Thai driving licences have your date of birth on them, not your age.  Maybe they "done" [sic] yours specially.

"...but hey that's the Thai way".

No...it's not.

• Haha 1