Animal cruelty: "Soldier" orders staff to tie up and throw out annoying dogs

webfact

To the wackos using this sad event to further their ignorant opinions, get it through your diseased heads that what occurred was a premeditated act of savage cruelty intended to inflict pain. There was no attempt at a solution or in addressing the immediate issue. It was a childish outburst from a man demonstrating that he is unfit to command young men.

4 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

As a Clinical Psychologist, I would really appreciate you citing the extensive research by which you came to reach this conclusion and to support your premise.  Just curious.

'nuf sed

You are criticizing someone who stated a known link. I don't know where you received your doctorate let alone practiced, but you should consider some remedial courses, as your field has changed significantly over the past 15 years or so. I am not a qualified psychologist, but I recall the compulsory forensic psychology seminar I was obliged to attend and this is what we were taught. The fellow who gave it was the director of forensic psychiatry at our university and was always known to be ahead of his time with his research.. A quick literature search will substantiate the intent of the statement that the person made, that you criticize. For example;

Journal of the Academy of Psychiatry Law. 2002;30(2):257-65.

Animal cruelty and psychiatric disorders.  Gleyzer R1, Felthous AR, Holzer CE 3rd.

Abstract: Animal cruelty in childhood, although generally viewed as abnormal or deviant, for years was not considered symptomatic of any particular psychiatric disorder. Although animal cruelty is currently used as a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorder, research establishing the diagnostic significance of this behavior is essentially nonexistent. In the current study, investigators tested the hypothesis that a history of substantial animal cruelty is associated with a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (APD) and looked for associations with other disorders commonly diagnosed in a population of criminal defendants. Forty-eight subjects, criminal defendants who had histories of substantial animal cruelty, were matched with defendants without this history. Data were systematically obtained from the files by using four specifically designed data retrieval outlines. A history of animal cruelty during childhood was significantly associated with APD, antisocial personality traits, and polysubstance abuse. Mental retardation, psychotic disorders, and alcohol abuse showed no such association.

I am not going to get into an academic discussion here, but I understood what the person meant. Knowledge bases change  as we learn more and it is incumbent upon us to stay current. That is why I am obliged to  undertake 32 hours of continuing education every year to maintain my accreditations & licenses. 

2 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Wish he would visit Phuket to deal with the local dog menace.

Why don't you do something? Soi dog welcomes volunteers  and donations to its spay and neuter program, which is the only effective  feral dog control in Thailand.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Lots of people weighing in to condemn the general. Not one solution has been offered, except maybe the chili pepper idea.

We often see stories about vicious dogs attacking children and others. Then the comments are all about condemning the irresponsible owners. In this case, these are strays with no owners.

I'm a cyclist and a golfer. I carry an extra water bottle on my bikes with an inch or two of vinegar and chili pepper. Get a pursuing dog once in the eyes and you'll never see him again. Does no permanent harm. Stings like hell for half an hour or so, enough time for the critter to learn his lesson.

I play at the two military golf courses here in Chiang Mai. One of them has stray dogs running roughshod, tearing up the bunkers, threatening us golfers, shitting where they shouldn't, even stealing balls off the fairway. I'm dismayed at the spinelessness of the military officers who run the place. So sad, someone might criticize them.

This country is overrun with filthy, diseased dogs. They don't belong in some places. It's appropriate for a general to decide if his camp is one of those places.

I applaud this officer for his decisive action to rid his camp of these dangerous disease-ridden vermin. I criticize his method. Surely a general can order up a backhoe. One short trench, a few bullets, problem solved.

You are clueless as to the event. The man did not "rid" his camp of the dogs. Rather, it was a petty vindictive  outburst one sees in petulant 5 year olds who don't get their way. He intentionally tortured the animals. Your position supports the planned, intentional act of depraved cruelty. The  man is also alleged to have physically threatened to shoot anyone who objected to the illegal act. Where is your moral compass, or are you only concerned about your own fun?Thailand is also over run with dangerous disease ridden vermin farangs. They are selfish and think only of themselves. Why else would a morally responsible individual play golf at an army owned golf course? Has it dawned on you, that you are part of Thailand's problems when you patronize those golf courses? Aside from these golf courses being one of the worst abusers of water supplies, ask yourself why young men are conscripted into military service and end up working as forced labour at these recreational facilities that  the conscripts will never  access, nor will regular Thai people for that matter. 

You suggest a short trench, a few bullets and problem solved. Well, be careful what you wish for as it wasn't too long ago there were armed groups in Chiang Mai who wanted to do that to the  foreigners frolicking at the  exclusive military playgrounds. They claimed that they were seeking to rid the country of people like you. Keep behaving as you do, and they may come back.

2 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Dogs here are not dogs as we know them from a Western Perspective.

Replace the word "Dog" with "Rabied Vermin" and then read this news and thread and see if it makes more sense.

Rubbish. What part of  the  event did you not understand that the man tied up the dogs, torturing them? Explain to those of us who are  mentally stable humans where it is normal behaviour to torture animals for hours?  No one would have complained had this been a quick euthanasia event, or a spay and neuter undertaking. Instead, this was a violent manifestation of mental illness by a person who is entrusted with the well being of young male conscripts as well as other personnel. Worse yet, was that he physically threatened to shoot anyone who intervened. His actions were criminal if he indeed threatened to shoot people. And yet here you are to approve. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Considering the event, I expect that there is a much larger story behind this. One has to have some serious mental health issues to  torture animals on end for hours.

Maybe the the dogs have bitten several people. ?

Maybe children ?

If they have done the above.

Who cares what happens to the dogs !!!!!!!!!!!

58 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe children ?

Urgent action is long overdue re the feral menace but the touchy-feely brigade flatly refuse any suggestion no matter how sensible it may be. A Wing/Tail/Paw bounty would sort the problem of feral or invasive species out on no time if they'd stop and think about it instead of waiting for people to die of the likes of rabies.

What happened to the bounty on the tail of the pesky grey squirrel?

The government used to reward the killing of squirrels

7:02AM BST 22 Jul 2010

SIR – In the 1950s, the Ministry of Agriculture paid sixpence per grey squirrel killed – on production of the tail as proof. They even lent out sets of light aluminium poles to poke the squirrels out of their nests.

The general view then was that they were pests and that the public should help cull them. How times have changed.

Keith MacInnes
London SW19

34 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe children ?

It’s a good thing you do not speculate much ???? and if dogs have not bitten then what?????

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

All this Bs about soi dogs.

Exterminate them now. and stop feeding them you idiots. :bah:

daleks-exterminate.jpg

I took in 2 soi dogs about 9 years ago

They are 2 of the most loyal and protective mutts Ive ever had, why must idiots like you want them dead

7 hours ago, bannork said:

This was in the news yesterday. The dogs were saved by animal rescue volunteers.

The soldier's torture of the dogs is unforgivable but dogs can be aggressive towards cyclists. Some form of self defence would be better, a revolver firing chilli powder for example.

I believe Chilli Dogs are a delicacy in USA.

59 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe children ?

I agree there might be a case for humane disposal of the excessive amount of strays but there is no excuse for cruelty ever. I care what happens and how they are tested. 

One of my neighbours have a couple stocking-sized pooches, that lunge at everyone "they do not know" trying to bite ankles etc, all from an open yard next to a small mom&pop shop there - the elder couple running the shop don't understand why people won't come to their shop anymore. I suppose the pooches are their successors wife's darlings... I once "lifted" the other pooch with a swift movement off of my leg to the fenced ricefield opposite the shop and got cussed at - haven't used that shop since, tho walk my own dog along the soi there every day, and if the gnawlers are around I just happen to drop my leash (for my ankles' protection) and let the "kids" play who runs faster a mile and submits...

If all  happened as  was in this reported item then definately the actions of those involved are due criticism for the cruelty aspect.

My wife and I take  basic humane care of (currently ) 7 stray dogs.

I would prefer not feeling the need to do so.

We once adopted an emaciated and ( dog  bite)injured stray pup that unfortunately succumbed to rabies.

Thailand needs  to reject the bs  apathy about the stray dog population.

If the Government can pass legislation  about cruelty to animals ( It is  not exclusive to dogs)  but not pass legislation requiring official responsible ownership and  care of  dogs in particular whilst  allowing feral dogs to breed at will then  events like this  are inevitable and although unreported very common.

Rabies kills people. It kills  dogs. It is  known that a  very significant percentage of feral dogs are  carrying  rabies.

Remove the obvious source! It would be more practical and  humane  to  do a nation  wide  removal of  feral dogs with accompanied  legislation enforcing responsibility for true domestic  dogs than to aimlessly and expensively provide  vaccines  for dog bite  victims and hospital care  for those ( often children) who get savaged  on too many occasions. Add to that number those people who  get attacked or threatened on motorcycles  and have accidents as a result.

For those  who would  defend the "rights" of the  soi dog to exist as is  should  consider if a part of that  right  is to die under the wheels of  cars etc . And if they do not die then survive with  permanent injury limiting  a happy existence.

Humane is a word and action that  involves more than blind sympathy.

7 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If all  happened as  was in this reported item then definately the actions of those involved are due criticism for the cruelty aspect.

My wife and I take  basic humane care of (currently ) 7 stray dogs.

I would prefer not feeling the need to do so.

We once adopted an emaciated and ( dog  bite)injured stray pup that unfortunately succumbed to rabies.

Thailand needs  to reject the bs  apathy about the stray dog population.

If the Government can pass legislation  about cruelty to animals ( It is  not exclusive to dogs)  but not pass legislation requiring official responsible ownership and  care of  dogs in particular whilst  allowing feral dogs to breed at will then  events like this  are inevitable and although unreported very common.

Rabies kills people. It kills  dogs. It is  known that a  very significant percentage of feral dogs are  carrying  rabies.

Remove the obvious source! It would be more practical and  humane  to  do a nation  wide  removal of  feral dogs with accompanied  legislation enforcing responsibility for true domestic  dogs than to aimlessly and expensively provide  vaccines  for dog bite  victims and hospital care  for those ( often children) who get savaged  on too many occasions. Add to that number those people who  get attacked or threatened on motorcycles  and have accidents as a result.

For those  who would  defend the "rights" of the  soi dog to exist as is  should  consider if a part of that  right  is to die under the wheels of  cars etc . And if they do not die then survive with  permanent injury limiting  a happy existence.

Humane is a word and action that  involves more than blind sympathy.

If you knock one over it becomes a Cruft$ champion yet when someone gets bitten owners are nowhere to be seen...

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

To the wackos using this sad event to further their ignorant opinions, get it through your diseased heads that what occurred was a premeditated act of savage cruelty intended to inflict pain. There was no attempt at a solution or in addressing the immediate issue. It was a childish outburst from a man demonstrating that he is unfit to command young men.

You are criticizing someone who stated a known link. I don't know where you received your doctorate let alone practiced, but you should consider some remedial courses, as your field has changed significantly over the past 15 years or so. I am not a qualified psychologist, but I recall the compulsory forensic psychology seminar I was obliged to attend and this is what we were taught. The fellow who gave it was the director of forensic psychiatry at our university and was always known to be ahead of his time with his research.. A quick literature search will substantiate the intent of the statement that the person made, that you criticize. For example;

Journal of the Academy of Psychiatry Law. 2002;30(2):257-65.

Animal cruelty and psychiatric disorders.  Gleyzer R1, Felthous AR, Holzer CE 3rd.

Abstract: Animal cruelty in childhood, although generally viewed as abnormal or deviant, for years was not considered symptomatic of any particular psychiatric disorder. Although animal cruelty is currently used as a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorder, research establishing the diagnostic significance of this behavior is essentially nonexistent. In the current study, investigators tested the hypothesis that a history of substantial animal cruelty is associated with a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (APD) and looked for associations with other disorders commonly diagnosed in a population of criminal defendants. Forty-eight subjects, criminal defendants who had histories of substantial animal cruelty, were matched with defendants without this history. Data were systematically obtained from the files by using four specifically designed data retrieval outlines. A history of animal cruelty during childhood was significantly associated with APD, antisocial personality traits, and polysubstance abuse. Mental retardation, psychotic disorders, and alcohol abuse showed no such association.

I am not going to get into an academic discussion here, but I understood what the person meant. Knowledge bases change  as we learn more and it is incumbent upon us to stay current. That is why I am obliged to  undertake 32 hours of continuing education every year to maintain my accreditations & licenses. 

Why don't you do something? Soi dog welcomes volunteers  and donations to its spay and neuter program, which is the only effective  feral dog control in Thailand.

You are clueless as to the event. The man did not "rid" his camp of the dogs. Rather, it was a petty vindictive  outburst one sees in petulant 5 year olds who don't get their way. He intentionally tortured the animals. Your position supports the planned, intentional act of depraved cruelty. The  man is also alleged to have physically threatened to shoot anyone who objected to the illegal act. Where is your moral compass, or are you only concerned about your own fun?Thailand is also over run with dangerous disease ridden vermin farangs. They are selfish and think only of themselves. Why else would a morally responsible individual play golf at an army owned golf course? Has it dawned on you, that you are part of Thailand's problems when you patronize those golf courses? Aside from these golf courses being one of the worst abusers of water supplies, ask yourself why young men are conscripted into military service and end up working as forced labour at these recreational facilities that  the conscripts will never  access, nor will regular Thai people for that matter. 

You suggest a short trench, a few bullets and problem solved. Well, be careful what you wish for as it wasn't too long ago there were armed groups in Chiang Mai who wanted to do that to the  foreigners frolicking at the  exclusive military playgrounds. They claimed that they were seeking to rid the country of people like you. Keep behaving as you do, and they may come back.

Rubbish. What part of  the  event did you not understand that the man tied up the dogs, torturing them? Explain to those of us who are  mentally stable humans where it is normal behaviour to torture animals for hours?  No one would have complained had this been a quick euthanasia event, or a spay and neuter undertaking. Instead, this was a violent manifestation of mental illness by a person who is entrusted with the well being of young male conscripts as well as other personnel. Worse yet, was that he physically threatened to shoot anyone who intervened. His actions were criminal if he indeed threatened to shoot people. And yet here you are to approve. 

I will say it again....replace the word “Dog” (or any logical reference point where Dog would fit) with “Rabied Vermin” and then read it again.

Look at the dogs in the picture and note the number of rabies deaths in Thailand this year not to mention the number of people bitten and then tell me in what way these dogs (or any stay dogs) in a Thailand cannot safely be assumed to be Rabied Vermin. 

If if you got bitten by a stray dog in Thailand would you NOT get a rabies course of injections? If the answer is that you would get the injection then the assumption is surely that every stray dog has rabies. In what way am I wrong?

Look up the various definitions of Vermin and tell me how the definition does not apply to Thailand’s stray dogs?

in what way am I wrong? You are using completely misplaced western values to assess the problem of stray dogs in Thailand.

Again, use the word Rabied Vermin instead of Dog for a better perspective. If not then explain how Rabied Vermin does not accurately (actually perfectly) explain what Thai Stray Dogs are?

Archived