Thailand resumes flights, ferry services as tropical storm slows

rooster59

Thailand resumes flights, ferry services as tropical storm slows

800x800 (6).jpg

Fallen electricity poles are seen along a road as tropical storm Pabuk approaches the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand, January 4, 2019. REUTERS/Krittapas Chaipimon

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand resumed flights on Saturday to its southern provinces, as the first tropical storm in 30 years slowed and headed into the Andaman Sea, leaving behind a trail of homes damaged by fallen trees or blown-off roofs, and disrupted power networks.

Before tropical storm Pabuk hit land in Nakhon Si Thammarat on Friday, arriving from the Gulf of Thailand, airports had shut in the province and nearby Surat Thani and the holiday island of Koh Samui, with all flights canceled.

But on Saturday, the storm lost speed and was downgraded to a depression as it moved off land, weather officials said, although they maintained warnings of torrential rain and possible flash floods in nine provinces.

"The strong winds are forecast with waves up to 3 to 5 meters high in both the Gulf and in the Andaman Sea," the Thai Meteorological Department said in a statement, urging ships to keep to shore and highlighting the risk of sudden water surges.

Bangkok Airways, which has a monopoly at the Koh Samui airport, resumed normal operations early on Saturday and added extra flights to assist stranded passengers.

The airports at Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani will resume operations at noon.

Most ferry services to Thailand's southern holiday islands have resumed following suspension for the storm.

Over the past few days, more than 28,000 people have been evacuated into shelters across seven provinces, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said in a daily tally on Saturday.

Authorities have recorded just one death, after a fishing boat capsized in strong winds near the coast of Pattani province, leaving another of the crew missing, though four more were safe.

PTT Exploration and Production Pcl, a unit of state-owned PTT, said it expected to resume operations of oil rigs at Bongkot and Erawan, two of Thailand's biggest gas fields in the Gulf of Thailand, on Sunday.

It had suspended operations there since Monday and brought staff inland.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-05

When will people understand not to travel to south of Thailand during month of December until at least midst of February: as this is the peak of the rain season. I always hear this ridiculous argument that when it's winter home, its summer there - WRONG!

4 hours ago, racket said:

When will people understand not to travel to south of Thailand during month of December until at least midst of February: as this is the peak of the rain season. I always hear this ridiculous argument that when it's winter home, its summer there - WRONG!

As has already been stated this comment is incorrect. December-January is high season because it is the best time to visit. Even this once in 30 year storm appears to have been not much of a problem. Bad weather before high season was more of a problem which was still being sorted out. One year the main power cable was damaged so only enough power was available for half the island at a time. So in Lamai different areas had power for an hour or two before swapping to the other areas. The good old days when Samui was fun.

6 hours ago, racket said:

I think you need to get yourself acquainted with Google I have lived in this area for 20 years and never seen rain like this at this time of the year

18 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're completely WRONG! 

The dry season is the 4 months from Dec to March. It is not known as summer, but the Dry or High season. The wet occurs mid year.

These facts are very easy to confirm for anyone above idiot status.

This storm was a once in about 40 years occurrence and definitely not normal.

Dude, get some education and knowledge before writing a stupid comment. I have lived in the South for years and I can tell you that the raining season kicks in Mid Oct and continues until at least mid Feb. It peaks during December with the heaviest rainfalls, after rain comes summer which explains why we have the hot season in Mid Feb/April until at least end of June. There's no dry season month here, barely noticed. The monsoon season is the month of Nov-Jan. 

If people are interested in avoiding the southerly raining season in December then the best bet would be to go up north to e.g. Chiang Mai with guaranteed blue skies and temperatures ranging between 25-29 degrees. That stops however in February when cold/winter season kicks in, so in that period that could be a good way to head south again. 

In December, 2016 we had the highest recorded monsoon rainfalls in the south, since we didn't experience anything like this for at least 15 years. I'm not referring to this storm, this is just facts that are true about the raining season. 

Edited by racket

3 minutes ago, racket said:

Dude, get some education and knowledge before writing a stupid comment. There are certainly people who have lived in Thailand for over 40 years and still doesn't know a damn shit. I have lived in the South for years and I can tell you that the raining season kicks in Mid Oct and continues until at least mid Feb. It peaks during December with the heaviest rainfalls, after rain comes summer which explains why we have the hot season in Mid Feb/April until at least end of June. There's no dry season month here, barely noticed. The monsoon season is the month of Nov-Jan. 

If people are interested in avoiding the southerly raining season in December then the best bet would be to go up north to e.g. Chiang Mai with guaranteed blue skies and temperatures ranging between 25-29 degrees. That stops however in February when cold/winter season kicks in, so in that period that could be a good way to head south again. 

In December, 2016 we had the highest recorded monsoon rainfalls in the south, since we didn't experience anything like this for at least 15 years. I'm not referring to this storm, this is just facts that are true about the raining season. 

Interesting, another "dude" who likes to write his own facts and believe them! 

Of course rain does fall in the dryer months, this is the tropics, not the desert.  However, seasons are defined by averages, not singular events however much a bombastic individual wants to create their own narrative. 

All I have to support my statement is the experience of living in the south, backup from the Thai Meteorological Department and every publication ever written about rainfall in Thailand!

I venture my knowledge, education and IQ is way above anything you have to offer.

Narcissism and an inflated view of their own theories doesn't make anyone right.  

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Interesting, another "dude" who likes to write his own facts and believe them! 

Of course rain does fall in the dryer months, this is the tropics, not the desert.  However, seasons are defined by averages, not singular events however much a bombastic individual wants to create their own narrative. 

All I have to support my statement is the experience of living in the south, backup from the Thai Meteorological Department and every publication ever written about rainfall in Thailand!

I venture my knowledge, education and IQ is way above anything you have to offer.

Narcissism and an inflated view of their own theories doesn't make anyone right.  

No, it's not just averages based on assumptions. There are actual data with daily inputs/outputs that are available to the public. What exactly are you trying to prove me wrong, anyways? That supposedly you have knowledge, have an education or a pus headed IQ? Let's provide some sources to prove raining season during the months of Q4/Q1, and since you referenced TMD, here's what they got to say about the south east coast:

..."in the Southern Thailand East Coast where abundant rain remains until the end of the year"

"Winter or northeast monsoon season (mid-October to mid-February). This is the mild period of the year with quite cold in December and January in upper Thailand but there is a great amount of rainfall in Southern Thailand East Coast, especially during October to November."

...and continues "On the contrary, much rainfall in the Southern Thailand East Coast which its peak is in November remains until January of the following year which is the beginning of the northeast monsoon.

Perhaps you wan't to take an updated IQ test and reading lecture to ensure you getting ready for 2019, so we don't see further immoral comments of someone who deserves to be smashed repeatedly with a piece of heavy mining equipment. 

I rest my case.