Tuna sells for record $3 million in auction at Tokyo's new fish market

rooster59

Tuna sells for record $3 million in auction at Tokyo's new fish market

By Angie Teo

800x800 (7).jpg

Kiyomura Co's President Kiyoshi Kimura (C), who runs a chain of sushi restaurants Sushi Zanmai, poses with a 278kg bluefin tuna, priced with a 333,600,000 yen bid at the Toyosu fish market's first tuna auction this year at his sushi restaurant in Tokyo, Japan, January 5, 2019. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

TOKYO (Reuters) - The owner of a Japanese sushi restaurant chain on Saturday set a record by paying more than $3 million for a bluefin tuna in the year's first auction at Tokyo's new fish market, exceeding his own record price of 2013.

Kiyoshi Kimura, who owns the Sushizanmai chain, paid 333.6 million yen ($3.1 million) for the 278-kg (613-lb) fish caught off the coast of northern Japan's Aomori prefecture, or double what he had paid six years ago.

"The tuna looks so tasty and very fresh, but I think I did too much," Kimura told reporters outside the market later.

"I expected it would be between 30 million and 50 million yen, or 60 million yen at the highest, but it ended up five times more."

Saturday's event was the first New Year auction of the Toyosu market, after the famed Tsukiji fish market shut last year to provide temporary parking for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics.

Kimura had held the record for top price paid for a single fish at the new year's auction for six straight years until 2017. But last year, the owner of a different fish restaurant chain paid the highest price.

After the auction, the fish was taken to one of Sushizanmai's branches located in the old market of Tsukiji.

Tuna is prized around the world for its use in sushi, but experts warn growing demand has made it an endangered species.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-05

26 minutes ago, Tug said:

That’s just obscene 

yes, the fish weighing 278 kilos it means 10,791 $ for one-kilo, head tail fins included.

The seller is supposed to make a profit, how much he sells his Sushi then.

sec-brinks-001-h.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

At these prices it won't be long till they kill every tuna (and whale). Oh well  in 10 yrs maybe your grandchildren can see them stuffed in a museum some place.

Nope. Just the first of the season.

The first Durian of the season has sold in Thailand for 150,000 Baht. Same, same but, different.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/first-volcano-durian-year-thailand-fetches-6000-auction

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

5 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Nope. Just the first of the season.

Actually, during a normal auction day at Tokyo fish market, you'll see a huge number of tuna auctioned off at $5,000, a large number at $15,000 and a bunch off them in the $20,000-$30,000 range. The highest priced fish each day is typically around the $40,000 mark.

So from the home of CC has a more than valid point; fishing is big business and the ocean is being hoovered.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The first Durian of the season has sold in Thailand for 150,000 Baht. Same, same but, different.

Hmm, 150k Baht vs 3mil USD. Nope, no comparison, sorry.

It's a sad reflection how much this world has lost touch with reality. Up their own wasabi pipes I say...

2 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Hmm, 150k Baht vs 3mil USD. Nope, no comparison, sorry.

It's a sad reflection how much this world has lost touch with reality. Up their own wasabi pipes I say...

Yes, but, try working it out per kilo. A lot less Durian than a 600 kilo fish.

The point I was making (as you well knew) was that the first of the season has a huge price premium.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

58 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

At these prices it won't be long till they kill every tuna (and whale). Oh well  in 10 yrs maybe your grandchildren can see them stuffed in a museum some place.

Yes - the Tuna is doomed.  They are apex predators, so it's like eating Tiger sushi.  I bet a Tiger would sell for a similar price in China, and that's why they are almost extinct too.

I release most of my SBT (Souther Bluefin Tuna) and Albacore Tuna because I don't eat them, I prefer other fish.

We're not allowed to sell them being recreational fisherman. I occasionally save one for a friend. It'd be nice to sell one just to cover the cost of my fuel trolling around all day, but I love the sport of the fight, then let them go without too much stress or any damage to the fish. Great fun.

Albacor 1 of 6.jpg

2012-04-25_12.29.48.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danny Crane said:

then let them go without too much stress or any damage to the fish

Huh?

If that was you with a hook hanging out of your mouth I think you'd be screaming bloody murder.  Your lucky fish can't scream.  

The Silence of the Fish.  Where is Dr. Lector to explain it all?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Huh?

If that was you with a hook hanging out of your mouth I think you'd be screaming bloody murder.  Your lucky fish can't scream.  

The Silence of the Fish.  Where is Dr. Lector to explain it all?

I said "without too much stress or damage". I didn't say none. Catching any fish with a hook and line always causes some stress to a fish, but I try to keep it to a minimum. I'm guessing you're a greenie tree hugging vegan or vegetarian. Good luck to you. I enjoy meat including fish.

58 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Hooking a fish, landing it, and returning it carefully and lovingly, is no more stressful than you or me being held underwater by a foot; for a while.

I personally would not fish for my koi carp. They would get scared and lose respect for me.

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Hooking a fish, landing it, and returning it carefully and lovingly, is no more stressful than you or me being held underwater by a foot; for a while.

I personally would not fish for my koi carp. They would get scared and lose respect for me.

More like having a hook through your cheek whilst being held underwater.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

More like having a hook through your cheek whilst being held underwater.

I think you have a point there bristol boy. But the ocean is a dog eat dog world. For many species it is eat and get eaten. The tuna caught by Danny Crane were lovingly released back to the sea. Those tuna in the picture must have thought they had won the lottery when Danny put them back.

Most readers here just don't get it. This is the promotional, good luck first tuna of the New Year sale. The "Tuna King" overbids to save face /promote his restaurants. He does not make money on this tuna. He makes money all year on his restaurants. He gives this one away to his restaurant patrons. :whistling:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

yes, the fish weighing 278 kilos it means 10,791 $ for one-kilo, head tail fins included.

The seller is supposed to make a profit, how much he sells his Sushi then.

sec-brinks-001-h.jpeg

You can see the tail has been cut off. However this isn't about the fish itself it is actually a great advertisement for his restaurant. That is why he does it time and time again it makes news and gives his restaurant nice coverage.

This guy didn't become this wealthy being stupid. He has sold so much fish in his life he can do this and not lose any sleep. Every time he does it he gets richer and richer.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Most readers here just don't get it. This is the promotional, good luck first tuna of the New Year sale. The "Tuna King" overbids to save face /promote his restaurants. He does not make money on this tuna. He makes money all year on his restaurants. He gives this one away to his restaurant patrons. :whistling:

i was beaten to it by a few posts such as this. You are absolutely correct. Although i bet he can actually charge somewhat of a premium for this fish it is advertising. There may also be tax write offs for a loss.

It is amazing that a majority of posters don't understand what this deal is. Would we even be reading about this or know of this man's restaurant if he simply bought a affordably priced fish?

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

i was beaten to it by a few posts such as this. You are humourcorrect. Although i bet he can actually charge somewhat of a premium for this fish it is advertising. There may also be tax write offs for a loss.

It is amazing that a majority of posters don't understand what this deal is. Would we even be reading about this or know of this man's restaurant if he simply bought a affordably priced fish?

I launched myself, neither in the understanding of the psychology of the Japanese, nor in their specific marketing probably just as complicated, but  your sentence "It is amazing that a majority of posters don't understand what this deal is" if your sentence is right, yes he also advertised for free with this price. And sorry, but you're a little pedantic anyhow, for any rich or poor human on the planet, at first sight at least, would find such a transaction crazy! "3.000.000$ for a fish, three million dollars for one fish. "Would we even be reading about this or know of this man's restaurant if he simply bought a affordably priced fish?" What 99,9999% of us do care about this man and this restaurant in a country where 99,9999% of us will never set foot? At least with my picture of Tunas delivered with a Brinks armoured vehicle I tried to be humorous, and after someone came to give me the most serious lessons in the world about my "amazing misunderstanding" of an ignoramus. But I recognize that you are in perfect agreement with all the donors of lessons of this site that are numerous. So keep putting the watches back on time for everyone and I keep my sense of humour, you gave your opinion I gave mine. We can both forget about this tuna's story and in the meantime have a nice day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I launched myself, neither in the understanding of the psychology of the Japanese, nor in their specific marketing probably just as complicated, but  your sentence "It is amazing that a majority of posters don't understand what this deal is" if your sentence is right, yes he also advertised for free with this price. And sorry, but you're a little pedantic anyhow, for any rich or poor human on the planet, at first sight at least, would find such a transaction crazy! "3.000.000$ for a fish, three million dollars for one fish. "Would we even be reading about this or know of this man's restaurant if he simply bought a affordably priced fish?" What 99,9999% of us do care about this man and this restaurant in a country where 99,9999% of us will never set foot? At least with my picture of Tunas delivered with a Brinks armoured vehicle I tried to be humorous, and after someone came to give me the most serious lessons in the world about my "amazing misunderstanding" of an ignoramus. But I recognize that you are in perfect agreement with all the donors of lessons of this site that are numerous. So keep putting the watches back on time for everyone and I keep my sense of humour, you gave your opinion I gave mine. We can both forget about this tuna's story and in the meantime have a nice day.

You shouldn't care. He is obviously aiming for Japanese people in Japan. Just like I don't care about Chevy paying $600 million to have their name put on a football shirt.