Stereo system

daocat555

33 minutes ago, jvs said:

JBL ti 5000 speakers,Adcom gfa 555,a little modified,Adcom pre=am pfp 565,Sony cdp cx 200.I play cd's from the cd player and mp3 and flac from my hard drive.I also listen(watch)a lot of music video on Youtube and Dailymotion and such.I have a lot of dowloaded music mostly flac just to keep the original recording intact.I tried to hear the difference between the different kinds of replay but i must be getting old.Sometimes i think flac sounds a little fuller but maybe just wishful thinking.

And your system?

Oh I like the look of those JBL speakers. Get them new in Bangkok?  A relative on my wife's side has offered me a gift of her old Adcom power amps...never heard any before so looking forward to seeing what they can do.

My current system is Wilson Watt 5.1 (bought used from a dealer in BKK), Wadia 321 Dac (ebay), Jeff Rowland Concentra (ebay) and Meridian G08 CD player (bought used from ex pat in BKK).  I sold the Meridian DSP5200 speakers in the pic already locally.  Mostly listen to files from the Squeezebox and internet radio.  Fitted the car out with JL Audio amps/sub/speakers.

Previous systems in UK (which I sold cos they were too heavy for my suitcase!) included Wilson Sophias, Pass Labs monos, Modwright valve pre amp, Wadia 321 DAC.

Prior to that, my lovely Usher speakers with retro Krell amps and Wadia CD/DAC.  I'd have that back in a heartbeat, but the Wilsons thrashed the Ushers in most ways.

Pass labs.png

krell.jpg

Rowland.jpg

1 hour ago, CarlBkk said:

Harder to tell the difference between CD and Flac though, but on my previous system I think Flacs just edged it.

A FLAC file made from a CD should be audibly identical to the CD. Only if the FLAC file has been made from some better quality master recording, or in "HD", is it at all likely to be audibly better than a CD of the same music.

Of course it does all depend on the quality of the original recording that the CD was made from, and how good the mixing/mastering was. When they (re-)release older recordings they often remaster them and sometimes this can make a huge difference, and not always for the best.

I dont know where Deezer and Tidal get the original recordings that they use for their lossless service. Ripped from commercial CDs? Supplied by the recording company? Probably a mixture of all possible ways.

1 hour ago, CarlBkk said:

Oh I like the look of those JBL speakers. Get them new in Bangkok?  A relative on my wife's side has offered me a gift of her old Adcom power amps...never heard any before so looking forward to seeing what they can do.

My current system is Wilson Watt 5.1 (bought used from a dealer in BKK), Wadia 321 Dac (ebay), Jeff Rowland Concentra (ebay) and Meridian G08 CD player (bought used from ex pat in BKK).  I sold the Meridian DSP5200 speakers in the pic already locally.  Mostly listen to files from the Squeezebox and internet radio.  Fitted the car out with JL Audio amps/sub/speakers.

Previous systems in UK (which I sold cos they were too heavy for my suitcase!) included Wilson Sophias, Pass Labs monos, Modwright valve pre amp, Wadia 321 DAC.

Prior to that, my lovely Usher speakers with retro Krell amps and Wadia CD/DAC.  I'd have that back in a heartbeat, but the Wilsons thrashed the Ushers in most ways.

Pass labs.png

krell.jpg

Rowland.jpg

Everything was brought over from Europe,so easy to find older hifi over there.Maybe a good thing i do not live there anymore,the house would be full.If you do not like the Adcom power amps please let me have them.I could double them up.

I found the settings screen on Spotify and when I switch the audio from regular to high quality I can't tell the difference.  I joined the Deezer HiFi paid subscription and when I change from HiFi to regular on Deezer I can't tell the difference.  So I downgraded my Deezer to a regular paid Deezer subscription which is cheaper each month.

I respect those who have the ears and the components to tell the difference in Deezer and Spotify, but sadly, not me.

So do I regret my buys at this time?  Absolutely.  I am disappointed in general in the Q Acoustic Concept 40'2 and I wish I had bought a better A/V receiver with binding posts for the speaker connections.  February is add a sub woofer month.  March is upgrade one of my computer displays.  And April, I hope, is buy a Sharp Aquos R2 Compact mobile.  Maybe like in 6 months I'll upgrade my A/V receiver.

I'm not crying in my Khaw phad.  I never knew about either Spotify or Deezer until this Topic and I like them both.  If I find them redundant in the future I'll just continue with the one I like best.

I have a very good set up now and I think it will only get better.  I tend to pass my time playing a computer game on one computer (bridge on BBO, poker on Pokerstars, or a stand alone D and D game) and listening to music or watching TV/Movies on the other computer.  The newer computer is hooked up to the Denon/Q Acoustics sound and the other computer is hooked up to a Samsung 450 W 3 Ch Flat Soundbar HW-MS651,

Right now I have a NBA League Pass subscription, and it the mornings I may watch some basketball games.  I have a Netflix subscription and I am working my way through the 3 seasons of the original Star Trek.  And I am going to get a subscription to the WWE network.  That way I can watch the WWE pay-per-views as well as Monday Night Raw and Smackdown.

And I have already bought Season 3 of the SyFy Channel TV show "The Magicians" on Amazon Prime Video.

Hey JVS, when are you gonna upgrade that Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite?  If I buy the Sharp my Meizu 16th may go up for sale.

1 hour ago, daocat555 said:

Hey JVS, when are you gonna upgrade that Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite?  If I buy the Sharp my Meizu 16th may go up for sale

I am very happy with my phone,does all the things i want and great battery life.Did you already experiment with the placement of your speakers?

If you think an amp with better wiring posts is going to give you better sound you may be wrong.

Your system and mine are not safisticated(expensive)enough to tell the difference between mp3 and flac.Both too old as well.

On the other hand there have been a lot of experiments with people who claim they can hear the difference but in a blind test they could not do so.

Try DFX and all of the other stuff you have before you spend more money.

Do you have enough movies to watch?

Do you like series?

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

A FLAC file made from a CD should be audibly identical to the CD. Only if the FLAC file has been made from some better quality master recording, or in "HD", is it at all likely to be audibly better than a CD of the same music.

Of course it does all depend on the quality of the original recording that the CD was made from, and how good the mixing/mastering was. When they (re-)release older recordings they often remaster them and sometimes this can make a huge difference, and not always for the best.

I dont know where Deezer and Tidal get the original recordings that they use for their lossless service. Ripped from commercial CDs? Supplied by the recording company? Probably a mixture of all possible ways.

Some say that if the recordings are equal (i.e flac from CD vs CD) the CD mechanism/jitter can often render the music audibly inferior if the system is very transparent.

Do I like which series?  I am having fun watching the original Star Trek again.  I'm surprised that I forget so much about that series.  The Magicians has too much violence and sadism for my liking.  But it has magic and 20 somethings with character mucking around in a fantasy world so it barely qualifies for me to spend money and time on it.  It is not a series that I recommend.  Basketball is the only sport I watch much and I like my NBA League Pass.  I used to watch Monday Night Raw and some other WWE shows when I lived in the US, but again I don't recommend them.  My favorite Star Trek is Voyager and I just finished every show, every season, and I do recommend that series as what I consider to be quality science fiction.

No I haven't moved the speakers which are heavy and on needle spikes so I would have to tip the maintenance men to move them around for me.  I'll probable do that the next time I need them for something else, but I don't expect an improvement as I put them in a reasonable place to begin with.

Right now I do not want to try DFX.  The following review quote doesn't really tempt me:

"There's no other way to say it - DFX Audio Enhancer looks tacky. It has the kind of "control center" looks that were popular in the early 2000s and which just look terrible today.

Once you get past DFX Audio Enhancer's looks, you'll be disappointed to also find that the sliders don't work in this free version. You can simply enable or disable the various options, like Fidelity and Hyperbass

Not a miracle solution

In reality however, DFX Audio Enhancer seems to add nothing more than a bit more body to your music."

I'm not the kind of guy into equalizers/enhancers, and I think I would poke around other such solutions before installing DFX.  I think if my speakers lack sufficient bass that buying a sub woofer is reasonable instead of boosting the bass level via an equalizer.

I do agree that replacing the Receiver with one that has binding posts won't, by itself, improve the sound.  It's at the back of my to do list, but a better receiver, in general, might improve the sound.  Yea, I am doing a bit of wallowing in buyer remorse......but I have a plan.  Plan A, ya know.

I've got the sub woofer of my dreams picked out.  I kind of always wanted to have a sub woofer.  So I'm looking forward to my February check.

30 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
Do I like which series?  I am having fun watching the original Star Trek again.  I'm surprised that I forget so much about that series.  The Magicians has too much violence and sadism for my liking.  But it has magic and 20 somethings with character mucking around in a fantasy world so it barely qualifies for me to spend money and time on it.  It is not a series that I recommend.  Basketball is the only sport I watch much and I like my NBA League Pass.  I used to watch Monday Night Raw and some other WWE shows when I lived in the US, but again I don't recommend them.  My favorite Star Trek is Voyager and I just finished every show, every season, and I do recommend that series as what I consider to be quality science fiction.

No I haven't moved the speakers which are heavy and on needle spikes so I would have to tip the maintenance men to move them around for me.  I'll probable do that the next time I need them for something else, but I don't expect an improvement as I put them in a reasonable place to begin with.

Right now I do not want to try DFX.  The following review quote doesn't really tempt me:

"There's no other way to say it - DFX Audio Enhancer looks tacky. It has the kind of "control center" looks that were popular in the early 2000s and which just look terrible today.

Once you get past DFX Audio Enhancer's looks, you'll be disappointed to also find that the sliders don't work in this free version. You can simply enable or disable the various options, like Fidelity and Hyperbass

Not a miracle solution

In reality however, DFX Audio Enhancer seems to add nothing more than a bit more body to your music."

I'm not the kind of guy into equalizers/enhancers, and I think I would poke around other such solutions before installing DFX.  I think if my speakers lack sufficient bass that buying a sub woofer is reasonable instead of boosting the bass level via an equalizer.

I do agree that replacing the Receiver with one that has binding posts won't, by itself, improve the sound.  It's at the back of my to do list, but a better receiver, in general, might improve the sound.  Yea, I am doing a bit of wallowing in buyer remorse......but I have a plan.  Plan A, ya know.

I've got the sub woofer of my dreams picked out.  I kind of always wanted to have a sub woofer.  So I'm looking forward to my February check.

Well i think you should download the full version of DFX and do not believe someone who tried the free version.All it ads is a bit of body to the sound,exactly what you need!!!!

So what if it looks old?As long as it works i would say.

Did you watch the series Homeland?and Breaking bad?

You can download Popcorn Time ,lots to see and free.

4 hours ago, CarlBkk said:

Some say that if the recordings are equal (i.e flac from CD vs CD) the CD mechanism/jitter can often render the music audibly inferior if the system is very transparent.

I suppose some people might be able to hear that, but I dont think that my ears could.

7 hours ago, daocat555 said:

I respect those who have the ears and the components to tell the difference in Deezer and Spotify, but sadly, not me.

I'm over 60 but I still have the hearing of an average 50 year old. But I do struggle to hear much difference between Spotify and CD over speakers though I can hear the difference on headphones. And I can also hear the difference between CD and SACD (or HD FLAC), though that's for somewhat different reasons.

Try this: https://www.phonak.com/uk/en/online-hearing-test.html

4 hours ago, daocat555 said:

Right now I do not want to try DFX. 

I have tried quite a few things like this, including DFX which I didnt like. Mainly I was trying to compensate for the terrible sound mixing on modern films which often leaves the actors sounding like they have a sock in their mouth.

In the end the only one I really liked was this one: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

It comes in two parts and is a little complex to install, but it works well for me and can quite easily be adjusted for different sources.

I don't know where they get the accurate copies.  It shows on the bottom of the screen 1,411kb/s.

They have 100 or so albums with Bo Diddley.  Play something downloaded on the net and then listen to "Hey Bo Diddley" on Deezer.  I use earphones or my wife goes nuts.

I hear stuff I don't remember hearing in person.  Jabra Elite Active 65t so I can go the bathroom and still listen.  Controls Deezer from the headset.  Avantree Leaf does the bluetooth 20m range.  15 hrs battery with the case.  My next phone will have bluetooth 5 as do the Jabra so I'll be able to walk the dog without taking my phone I think.  You can also set it to hear the surrounding sound so not to get run over by a bus.  Some people don't like the thing sticking that far in the ear.  I can't wear them too long.  I'm working on a fix with foam tips. 

The only problem with this whole thing is Deezer on the phone does not support FLAC only on the PC.  Maybe there will be an answer to that one later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:20 PM, CarlBkk said:

Pass labs.png

krell.jpg

Rowland.jpg

Now that's a real stereo!

On 1/27/2019 at 3:13 PM, suzannegoh said:

Now that's a real stereo!

The hobby becomes an addiction to box-swap to get more and more accurate sound.  The last system is my current one, the other two were sold before I moved here.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, CarlBkk said:

Well worth spending out a bit and getting some decent sounds in the house.  Q Acoustics are getting a very good name for themselves offering quality and fairly low prices.  However, I'm not an advocate of buying new equipment because if I'm going to spend my maximum budget, I'd rather get equipment which originally cost 3 times that.  Biggest bang for the buck.  In addition, if you're not a real A/V high tech aficiondo, equipment from 10-20 years ago can be just as good and occasionally outperform modern-day builds.

I found all my equipment in these places:  bahtsold, facebook marketplace, Fortune town second hand shop, Thai shops operating on facebook selling second hand high end audio.

Always consider room acoustics which probably offers the largest upgrade over any component, and with the common Thai tiled floors in condos, lack of soft furnishings/curtains and lots of windows, sounds can be harsh.  

Finally, download the BBC radio app where you can stream some really good music shows through your system.  I use a Logitech Squeezebox to do this.

I would add to do a room correction after acoustical treatment to the ceiling and walls if using computer and Jriver software or something similar.  I used mini-dsp and REW and made the line as flat as possible.  I think a good dac goes a long way to improving the sound-stage and Burson Supreme sound discrete op amps offer exceptional transparency and I have tried most of them.  I have the V5.  Anyone tried the classic or vivid V6?  I have been considering purchasing the V6 classic since the V5 is similar to the Vivid.

I run a pioneer receiver low THD. with Bose acoustimass and cubes. Nothing overwhelming but brightens up movie watching and voices and effects come through clearer and more seperated. I'm in a condo so can't go too loud or basey.

But one bit I learned when getting a better system is that the higher bitrate audio sounds noticeably sharper.

320kbps audio should be chased down. 128 is common. Audio presence and clarity is lost at that rate

I run a pioneer receiver low THD. with Bose acoustimass and cubes. Nothing overwhelming but brightens up movie watching and voices and effects come through clearer and more seperated. I'm in a condo so can't go too loud or basey.
But one bit I learned when getting a better system is that the higher bitrate audio sounds noticeably sharper.
320kbps audio should be chased down. 128 is common. Audio presence and clarity is lost at that rate

if you're taking about 320kbps files then you're talking about mp3's. Ditch that, flac files are the way to go.

Any good sites or APK for FLAC. 
Hey man don't give me no flack! Actually yeah give me FLAC. Hehe
There are many websites from which you can download FLAC files but most aren't legal. If legality matters, then check out HDTracks and Qobuz and pay whatever they ask for. Otherwise, check the torrent sites.

I don't mean to be flippant about it, but if you get a good DAC, some valve amps, and and some FLAC files of well mastered material, then you're going to be a babe magnet.

41 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:
1 hour ago, stud858 said:

There are many websites from which you can download FLAC files but most aren't legal. If legality matters, then check out HDTracks and Qobuz and pay whatever they ask for. Otherwise, check the torrent sites.

What if I wanted to be completely legal, what would you suggest I stay away from?

Apart from torrenting.

• 4 weeks later...
I completed my system today and it is 5.1 now.  Here are the components listed from top to bottom in order of how pleased I am with them.

1) Subwoofer: Wharfedale Subwoofer model WH-D10 White (9,890 baht, Lazada).  It is a sealed box with clean bass.  The Lazada price is fantastic.  It goes for $549 from Amazon, USA (17,368 baht).  Also, and the reason I am making this post now, it will be on sale at Lazada tomorrow for 9,??? baht for their one day Birthday sale.

2) Front Speakers: Q Acoustics Concept 40 (34,000 baht, Stereo - House).  I have mixed feelings about these speakers which got rave reviews from many audiophile sites and also have a clean sound, but they are expensive.

3) Rear Speakers: Q Acoustics Speaker รุ่น 3020 Walnut (9,900 baht, Lazada).  I think these sound okay, but they are typically Q Acoustics' pricey and don't have a big sound.  Per the review sites the newer 3020i's are better but they are not available in Thailand.

4) Center Channel:  Q Acoustics 3090Ci ($189.99 from Amazon USA sent to Shipito USA then to me in Thailand ($150 shipping and 2,000 baht import duty).  I didn't find a Center Channel speaker I wanted from a Thai online seller but at a final price of over 12,000 baht I didn't do well here.  It sounds nice.

5) Receiver:  AVR-X250BT 5.1 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver (9,400 baht, Stereo - House).  The speaker connectors on the back are clips.  While I think I erred on some of the components by paying too much I think I erred here by paying too little.  This is the component I regret the most.

I wanted a clean sounding system for music, and I think I got it.  It's not a system  catering to 5.1 movies as it doesn't have thundering bass or even a really big sound.  It does have a very clean sound.  I listen to YouTube and Spotify.  For Netflix movies I usually use my "B" computer set-up which uses a Samsung 450 W 3 Ch Flat Soundbar HW-MS651, which works for me.

Components which I considered but didn't get, but which might be nice:

1)  Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Tower Speakers (26,190 baht, Stereo - House).  These front speakers have excellent review on the web.

2) Yamaha Model NS-777 (20,700 baht, Shop at 24).  These 3 - way with dual bass speakers reportedly have a very big, lively sound and Shop at 24 sells them for a nice price.

3) Infinity Primus 363 (13,900 baht, HiFiCenter Thailand).  With a sensitivity of 93 dB and dual 6 1/2" bass cones I think these speakers would produce a lot of sound for not too much money.

I guess I might have gotten the Wharfedale front speakers saving me about 8,000 baht.  Then gotten a more reasonable Center Speaker and a better Receiver with banana plug connectors.  But, hey, over all I had fun putting this system together over the past 3 months. and I am kind of happy with it.

Archived