Jump to content

No breakthrough in U.S. shutdown talks, Pelosi plans new legislation


rooster59

Recommended Posts

No breakthrough in U.S. shutdown talks, Pelosi plans new legislation

 

800x800 (12).jpg

Senior White House Advisor Jared Kushner, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Senior White House Advisor Stephen Miller walk to the West Wing before a meeting with Congressional staffers about ending the partial government shutdown at the White House in Washington, U.S., January 5, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Democrats would pass new legislation to try to reopen parts of the government next week after talks between the Trump administration and Democratic negotiators on Saturday failed to end a two-week partial government shutdown.

 

President Donald Trump is demanding $5.6 billion to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico but Democrats in control of the House of Representatives this week passed a bill to reopen the government without providing additional funding for the wall.

 

Trump says he will not sign the bill until he gets the money for the wall.

 

After a meeting aimed at breaking the deadlock failed on Saturday, Pelosi said House Democrats would seek to reopen government agencies next week through piecemeal appropriation bills, starting with the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service.

"This action is necessary so that the American people can receive their tax refunds on schedule," she said.

 

Vice President Mike Pence led the administration's team in the meeting with Democratic negotiators on Saturday. He said it was "productive" but an aide said there was no in-depth discussion of a possible compromise level of funding for border security.

 

The two sides agreed to meet again on Sunday.

 

A Democratic aide familiar with the meeting said Democratic staffers urged the administration to reopen the government, arguing that progress on the contentious issue of border security would be difficult while the government was closed.

 

The aide said the administration instead "doubled down on their partisan proposal that led to the Trump shutdown in the first place."

 

With the two sides sticking to their positions, a quarter of the federal government has been closed for two weeks, leaving 800,000 public workers unpaid.

 

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and a senior adviser, also attended the meeting at the White House, along with Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

 

They were negotiating with senior staff for the top Democrats in Congress, Representative Nancy Pelosi and Senator Chuck Schumer.

 

Pelosi, who took over as House speaker this week following Democratic victories at mid-term elections in November, has said Trump's proposed wall is "immoral" and a "waste of money."

 

A Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll showed that 50 percent of the public blame Trump for the shutdown and 7 percent blame Republican lawmakers, against 32 percent who blame Democrats.

 

Still, Trump reiterated his demand for a border wall in a series of tweets on Saturday.

 

"The Democrats could solve the Shutdown problem in a very short period of time," Trump said. "All they have to do is approve REAL Border Security (including a Wall), something which everyone, other than drug dealers, human traffickers and criminals, want very badly!"

 

Trump threatened on Friday to take the step of using emergency powers to build the wall without Congress' approval. Such a move would almost certainly be met with legal challenges.

 

The funding bill passed by Democrats on Jan. 3 included $1.3 billion for border fencing and $300 million for other border security items including technology and cameras.

 

Trump has in recent days backed away from his earlier insistence that it be a concrete wall on the border, saying a steel fence would work just as well, but he has stuck to his demand of $5.6 billion.

 

 
reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-06
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself. While the shutdown may be playing well with his base, the other 62% of the country does not see it that way. And even his base who are out of work, as a result of this shutdown, may have a re-think about this policy. The wall is never going to happen. A compromise needs to happen, and Trump has backed himself up against a wall, but then again he has never been much of a negotiator. 

 

Illegal immigration has been dropping for the past 20 years, consistently, so this whole game is just made up, and has no substance. It was a good campaign slogan, but the last thing that the US needs right now, is a $40 (real costs are $40-70) billion wall.

 

The other fact that the GOP does not like to talk about, is that homicide rates amongst American citizens are three times higher than illlegal immigrants, and nine times higher than with legal immigrants. And Trump says illegals cause murder and rape. Americans cause far more murder and rape than immigrants. Many of them white men. It is a very inconvenient discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The House already sent to the Senate the exact same bill that the senate passed unanimously in Dec 2018. It would reopen the government using a compromise that Trump had agreed to (before talk radio belittled him.) That bill could - by normal procedures - be signed into law, vetoed, or left to sit for 10 days as to become law anyway. Trump promises to veto it, but an already unanimous Senate and a Pelosi led House would then have the option to override the veto.

Why isn't this happening? Mitch McConnell is ceding his responsibility to act in favor of running defense for Trump.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump is digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself. While the shutdown may be playing well with his base, the other 62% of the country does not see it that way. And even his base who are out of work, as a result of this shutdown, may have a re-think about this policy.

and those due a tax rebate...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

The only thing that the Dems in Thailand and in America have in common is that they are better for their country (less corrupt) than the alternative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

His election promise was that Mexico would pay for it, believe me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

After a meeting aimed at breaking the deadlock failed on Saturday

Guess who wasn't at this meeting?

Majority Senate Leader Mitch McConnell. As MSL he decides what bills come before the floor for a vote.

After Trump back stabbed him about three weeks ago saying he would support a Senate passed budget bill that included $5 billion for border security, then when it passed almost unanimously Trump refused to sign it because it had immigration concessions.

Trump has now so thoroughly cowed Mitch that he doesn't even bother having Mitch at any budget negotiations. Trump has essentially taken over leadership of the Senate.

Blame this shutdown on the Republican Party that has abrogated its responsibility as a check & balance to POTUS behavior.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Guess who wasn't at this meeting?

Majority Senate Leader Mitch McConnell. As MSL he decides what bills come before the floor for a vote.

After Trump back stabbed him about three weeks ago saying he would support a Senate passed budget bill that included $5 billion for border security, then when it passed almost unanimously Trump refused to sign it because it had immigration concessions.

Trump has now so thoroughly cowed Mitch that he doesn't even bother having Mitch at any budget negotiations. Trump has essentially taken over leadership of the Senate.

Blame this shutdown on the Republican Party that has abrogated its responsibility as a check & balance to POTUS behavior.

Nope, the senate bill did not include funding. It is though what Trump agreed to - before he listened to Rush calling him weak.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/ryan-says-trump-will-not-sign-senate-passed-bill-to-avoid-government-shutdown.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

The orange clown, together with his thief gang of straw men, has invested heavily in stocks and options in us steel factories. Otherwise one can not explain this dementia stubbornness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

trump is heading to camp david on monday. maybe he will declare the open border issues a national emergency if the dems don't budge. 

maggie haberman of nyt (podesta wikileaks email fame) tweeting.

 

 

 

whats with the dems and open border illegal immigration, sanctuary cities? human trafficking, drug running, arms dealing, voter dilution?  why are they digging in their heals on this?  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

trump is heading to camp david on monday. maybe he will declare the open border issues a national emergency if the dems don't budge. 

maggie haberman of nyt (podesta wikileaks email fame) tweeting.

 

 

 

whats with the dems and open border illegal immigration, sanctuary cities? human trafficking, drug running, arms dealing, voter dilution?  why are they digging in their heals on this?  

 

 

What's with the wild unsubstantiated charges? Once again, the propagator of falsehoods makes an appearance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

You are absolutely right. There are a lot of similarities between Prayuth and Trump. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

What's with the wild unsubstantiated charges? Once again, the propagator of falsehoods makes an appearance. 

there is all of that and more at the southern border. 

why dig in your heals on this issue? whats the gain I dont get it.

can't just be virtue signaling by  "immoral" pelosi 

 

as for falsehoods all over one misworded meme😂 get over it. I said imade a mistake .go bark elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

Donnie Boy said that Mexico would pay for the wall. That was his election promise. 

 

Why is he making congress go further in debt to pay for something he said they wouldn’t be paying for? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Srinivas said:

there is all of that and more at the southern border. 

why dig in your heals on this issue? whats the gain I dont get it.

can't just be virtue signaling by  "immoral" pelosi 

 

as for falsehoods all over one misworded meme😂 get over it. I said imade a mistake .go bark elsewhere.

 

 

 

 

"whats with the dems and open border illegal immigration, sanctuary cities? human trafficking, drug running, arms dealing, voter dilution?  why are they digging in their heals on this?"

 

Let's start with your linking Democrats to open borders. Apparently, to your simplistic way of thinking opposing a 2000 mile wall is the same as supporting open borders. One of the most bizarre cases of doublethink of illiberals is that on the one hand that there are millions of millions of people who want to illegally immigrate to the united states and on the other hand that without the wall the US has open borders. If that were the case, why haven't those millions and millions traipsed across the border already?

 

In fact you equate opposition to the wall with support or tolerance of drug running, human trafficking, arms dealing. Which is nonsense.

 

As for sanctuary cities, as local law enforcement officers know, if illegal immigrants are afraid to encounter the police, that actually encourages a rise in crime. 

 

And what in the world is voter dilution? I'd ask you for a link but I suspect it would lead to another instance of Macedonian sources lunacy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, samran said:

Donnie Boy said that Mexico would pay for the wall. That was his election promise. 

 

Why is he making congress go further in debt to pay for something he said they wouldn’t be paying for? 

They are paying more with his newly re negotiated NAFTA deal. Mexico in fact is paying. So I can’t see why he can’t get the funds so he can keep his election promise?

 

Millions voted for him partly on that promise so he is trying to keep his word? A wall hinders illegal and also criminal activity and it will also stimulate the ecconomy so a double win.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/30/nafta-replacement-us-mexico-canada-agreement-signed

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

"whats with the dems and open border illegal immigration, sanctuary cities? human trafficking, drug running, arms dealing, voter dilution?  why are they digging in their heals on this?"

 

Let's start with your linking Democrats to open borders. Apparently, to your simplistic way of thinking opposing a 2000 mile wall is the same as supporting open borders. One of the most bizarre cases of doublethink of illiberals is that on the one hand that there are millions of millions of people who want to illegally immigrate to the united states and on the other hand that without the wall the US has open borders. If that were the case, why haven't those millions and millions traipsed across the border already?

 

In fact you equate opposition to the wall with support or tolerance of drug running, human trafficking, arms dealing. Which is nonsense.

 

As for sanctuary cities, as local law enforcement officers know, if illegal immigrants are afraid to encounter the police, that actually encourages a rise in crime. 

 

And what in the world is voter dilution? I'd ask you for a link but I suspect it would lead to another instance of Macedonian sources lunacy.

 

I would suggest that left wing politics is more open to open borders than the right?

 

It is common for left wing political themes to sit with many new arrivals so the electerol balance is often changed in their favour. Same in the UK where London is now mostly controlled by labour who allowed over 5 million new people into the country, and three million into London and encourage immigration as generally helps their voting figures.

 

Here from the left wing not so independent independent newspaper.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ethnic-minority-vote-general-election-labour-jeremy-corbyn-racial-faultlines-anti-immigration-a7791101.html

 

Same theme the left loves uncontrolled immigration and many on the left do suport open borders whereas very few on the right do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

They are paying more with his newly re negotiated NAFTA deal. Mexico in fact is paying. So I can’t see why he can’t get the funds so he can keep his election promise?

 

Millions voted for him partly on that promise so he is trying to keep his word? A wall hinders illegal and also criminal activity and it will also stimulate the ecconomy so a double win.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/30/nafta-replacement-us-mexico-canada-agreement-signed

Um, it still hasn’t been ratified yet. So nothing has changed.

 

And do do tell me, how does a re-badged NAFTA (cause that is what is is) set aside pots of money for the wall?  

 

The expicit promise was ‘Mexico will pay for the wall’. Where in the yet-to-be-ratified text does it say ‘Mexico will pay for it’.

 

Please show me the evidence..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I  see this as Trump  being true to his word and election promises.

 He said he would build and a wall and is doing every thing he can to do that.

  All the Dems are doing is trying to build a voter base built on illegal immigrants to hell with Americans just get power any way you can. Destroy America but be the leading party.

  There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

The liberal Bilionare funded elite do not have to live with the consequences of mass immigration, and generally encourage it.

 

They live in their perfect little bubbles. Struggling public services, areas becoming unrecognisable with ‘ new arrivals’ who do not always share the same customs, language ethics or loyalty to their new country. In fact often fighting against the very country they have moved to.

 

Here is a very good item from a very well respected news source.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html

 

I know many people who feel like this lady but the left will no doubt call her a big got for daring to voice her fears!

 

It’s not just about the physical structure but it will deter, walls can be breached, but it sends a strong message out that unauthorised immigration is not going to be tolerated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

They are paying more with his newly re negotiated NAFTA deal. Mexico in fact is paying. So I can’t see why he can’t get the funds so he can keep his election promise?

 

Millions voted for him partly on that promise so he is trying to keep his word? A wall hinders illegal and also criminal activity and it will also stimulate the ecconomy so a double win.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/30/nafta-replacement-us-mexico-canada-agreement-signed

It is in fact very dubious that they are paying more. Even the most generous estimates put it at most at a 2% increase. And there's a good case to be made that it will actually result in a decrease. 

And if you invoke the fact that millions voted for him partly on that promise, well, millions more voted against him partly because of that promise. So what's your point?

And as for stimulating the economy. As a make-work program, yes. But us an investment that will lead to further economic growth or stemming decline like infrastructure repair and improvement. not really.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patriot1066 said:

I would suggest that left wing politics is more open to open borders than the right?

 

It is common for left wing political themes to sit with many new arrivals so the electerol balance is often changed in their favour. Same in the UK where London is now mostly controlled by labour who allowed over 5 million new people into the country, and three million into London and encourage immigration as generally helps their voting figures.

 

Here from the left wing not so independent independent newspaper.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ethnic-minority-vote-general-election-labour-jeremy-corbyn-racial-faultlines-anti-immigration-a7791101.html

 

Same theme the left loves uncontrolled immigration and many on the left do suport open borders whereas very few on the right do?

Really? "the left loves uncontrolled immigration"? You think that piece supports your contention?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

The liberal Bilionare funded elite do not have to live with the consequences of mass immigration, and generally encourage it.

 

They live in their perfect little bubbles. Struggling public services, areas becoming unrecognisable with ‘ new arrivals’ who do not always share the same customs, language ethics or loyalty to their new country. In fact often fighting against the very country they have moved to.

 

Here is a very good item from a very well respected news source.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9831912/I-feel-like-a-stranger-where-I-live.html

 

I know many people who feel like this lady but the left will no doubt call her a big got for daring to voice her fears!

 

It’s not just about the physical structure but it will deter, walls can be breached, but it sends a strong message out that unauthorised immigration is not going to be tolerated. 

That's why illegal immigrants from Guatemala pay coyotes $10000 to get them across the border. Because right now the message is "Welcome!"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

They are paying more with his newly re negotiated NAFTA deal. Mexico in fact is paying. So I can’t see why he can’t get the funds so he can keep his election promise?

 

Millions voted for him partly on that promise so he is trying to keep his word? A wall hinders illegal and also criminal activity and it will also stimulate the ecconomy so a double win.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/30/nafta-replacement-us-mexico-canada-agreement-signed

Of course you are aware that a signed agreement isn’t worth the paper it is written on until it is approved by the House, right?

 

Your first sentence should read, “They may be paying more with his newly re negotiated NAFTA deal, but know one will know for sure until it is enacted into law and we have at least 6 months of data to evaluate its outcomes.”

 

Then, if there are any gains at all he will have to figure out how to extract those gains from the PRIVATE hands they fall into and use them for a govt project.

 

Winning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

I would suggest that left wing politics is more open to open borders than the right?

And I would suggest that the right wing politicians are more open to open borders than the left.

 

The right apparently believes an anachronistic, proven ineffectual wall is the apogee of border security whereas the left prefers modern surveillance, strong legislation, and enforcement according to the rule of law.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

There is a lot in common between Dems in Thailand and Dems in America. More than we want to admit

The Dems in Thailand are REPUBLICANS in America. Have you not figured that out yet? What the Dems have done here is what the republicans dream of doing in the US. That gleam in their eye might make it sooner than you think.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...