What Percentage of Western/Thai Marriages Work? I'll Bet It Is Very Low!

TonyClifton

Do you think Thai/Western marriages can ever work?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I have been married for 26 years to a Thai woman. Still going strong.

Very nice.  For perhaps 20 of the last 40 years, I'd have to remind my wife about our wedding anniversary - about a week later.  555.  She'd say "Oh?"  That's my girl. 

Nowadays, we are of like mind.  We bitch and complain about the same things and same people. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Can any of you point to hard numbers showing that a marriage between a westerner and a Thai succeeds?  I'm betting the number of marriages that work is a very small percentage of the total marriages.  

19 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I'm not looking for the exception that proves the rule.  I'm looking for hard numbers.  I suspect that only a small percentage succeeds. Can anyone prove me to be wrong?

Yawn.....

The divorce rates in Thailand are not well known as the Thai courts do not distinguish if it is Thai-Thai or a Thai-Foreigner divorce. We do however know that in rural Thailand in the Isaan region the divorce rates tend to be very high. It was in 2007 that The Nation a large and well respected newspaper wrote an article about the divorce rates in Thailand.

https://gam-legalalliance.com/services/family-law/divorce-statistics-in-thailand/

In the newspaper we can't quote it says divorce rate is 39%.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, TonyClifton said:

A very good point.  I hooked up with someone here for about 6 months.  Her native language was English.  It was a much more satisfying relationship because not only could we communicate better, we had more in common.  The mindless chit-chat gets boring quickly.  It's not always the language.  Some of these pretty women just have nothing going on upstairs.

No problem for a lot of falang men, who are only interested in what's downstairs.

Been with my Thai wife for 11 years.  Never had any problems, never separated, never talked about separating.  We love each other, have two kids together and nothing lacking at all in the bedroom.  She makes me forget about other women all together and sex is usually instigated by her.  Since we are close in age (within 2 years), both professionals with careers and the same life goals it's a pretty normal relationship.   
Pretty much all of my friends have successful marriages as well.  I think your misconception is that folks with normal relationships don't go online and talk about it much where people with disastrous relationships do.   I only know a few tossers who tried marrying a girl 1/2 their age and still wanted to take bar girls home twice a week ending in... well, we all know.  

2 minutes ago, action said:

Been with my Thai wife for 11 years.  Never had any problems, never separated, never talked about separating.  We love each other, have two kids together and nothing lacking at all in the bedroom.  She makes me forget about other women all together and sex is usually instigated by her.  Since we are close in age (within 2 years), both professionals with careers and the same life goals it's a pretty normal relationship.   
Pretty much all of my friends have successful marriages as well.  I think your misconception is that folks with normal relationships don't go online and talk about it much where people with disastrous relationships do.   I only know a few tossers who tried marrying a girl 1/2 their age and still wanted to take bar girls home twice a week ending in... well, we all know.  

Good point.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

I would say that, ideally, stay in Thailand with them. They never really settle in a foreign country.

wrong, at least in my own experience. My wife is well and alive in Paris since 2009, hope it can continue a little bit longer... she's a real "parisienne" now : she knows by heart the dates of the sales for the next ten years.

cheers 

fred

A very good point.  I hooked up with someone here for about 6 months.  Her native language was English.  It was a much more satisfying relationship because not only could we communicate better, we had more in common.  The mindless chit-chat gets boring quickly.  It's not always the language.  Some of these pretty women just have nothing going on upstairs.

Maybe just maybe you should use your upstairs to learn how to speak and write thai????

This is silly. It’s completely up to the individuals and the reason for getting married in the first place. If it was for sex, well that novelty eventually wears off and one or the other starts looking around for something more interesting. If you get married because you truly love and care for and appreciate each other, the union has a great chance of lasting a life time. JMHO

11 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

This is silly. It’s completely up to the individuals and the reason for getting married in the first place. If it was for sex, well that novelty eventually wears off and one or the other starts looking around for something more interesting. If you get married because you truly love and care for and appreciate each other, the union has a great chance of lasting a life time. JMHO

I got married to produce a child.

You left that off your list.

1 hour ago, action said:

I only know a few tossers who tried marrying a girl 1/2 their age and still wanted to take bar girls home twice a week ending in... well, we all know.  

You think we should marry 60 year old women?

(I'm guessing from your post, you aren't 60)

Interesting that the survey results show that at least we think so.

I am in my 18th year  of marriage after 2 years before that being "together" & I refute the 

ATM thing as my wife works harder than  I do & is a good squirrel,

Love her to bits still, & the sex thing is almost non existent

23 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Maybe just maybe you should use your upstairs to learn how to speak and write thai????

I don't remember saying I could or could not speak Thai.  You assumed.  Many here are making assumptions.  As to using my "upstairs," I speak fluently several languages. I hooked up with an East African who while younger had quite a bit "upstairs."  The "downstairs" was quite good too.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:49 PM, madmen said:

The biggest problem is intelligent witty banter which due to the language barrier makes it all a bit mundane

You mean that you want to listen to your wife, you must be very young. One of the big advantages of not learning Thai is that I do have to listen to the intelligent witty banter of a women. If I need that I can go to the pub.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, TonyClifton said:

I'm not looking for the exception that proves the rule.  I'm looking for hard numbers.  I suspect that only a small percentage succeeds. Can anyone prove me to be wrong?

Can anyone prove you are right?

The horror stories get the publicity because that's the nature of the beast. The stable and successful ones stay under the radar.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

No problem for a lot of falang men, who are only interested in what's downstairs.

reality is the brain is connected to the p u ss y so if the brain doesnt work neither does the pussycat

On 1/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, madmen said:

When they stop working is when the sex stops. most married couples I know morphed into a friendship or a marriage of convenience rather quickly.. Not much hanky panky

The biggest problem is intelligent witty banter which due to the language barrier makes it all a bit mundane.

"what you want eat hon"
" I go shop what you want hon"
" I think rain come hon"

That sort of thing

Its the same with every nationality. 

Find a Thai with decent language skills, decent sense of fun and humour, a decent amount of intelligence. 

Some of these pretty women just have nothing going on upstairs.

I'd say not in Asia, I found out that here the prettiest are often the smartest. To the extent that they hide their potential to play you better.

In the west, of course the big-titted blonde is an idiot most of the time.

2 hours ago, action said:

Why on earth come to Thailand if you can't play with bar girls?  Do you fellows really like temples, weather, som tom and monogamy?   I know guys who even bought a women of their age a home in Thailand.  I mean come on.  You gotta know that's just asking for trouble.  Was it that rough in the West? 

There is a thread running now about the terrible pain a bird goes through being put in a cage.  What about a man being forced to only have one woman?  Even those poor Thai guys down South can have at least 4. 

Thai/Farang marriages have better chance of success simply because Farang husband loves to be cucked. Realistically what other option does he have when he gives everything to a Thai family?

Also, statistically....when Farang jumps over the balcony or teraak brother slices him with a machete the marriage is a success because he was truly married till death did him apart.

So, yes...I voted undecided.

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Thai/Farang marriages have better chance of success simply because Farang husband loves to be cucked. Realistically what other option does he have when he gives everything to a Thai family?

Also, statistically....when Farang jumps over the balcony or teraak brother slices him with a machete the marriage is a success because he was truly married till death did him apart.

Cucked is not an English word and since only English words are allowed on this forum you should edit to say cuckolded. 

The only ones that don't work seem to be old ugly men married to young Thai women and there are thousands of them in Thailand you see them everywhere. A well educated expat married to a well-educated Thai woman as most of my friends are, the marriages seem to be more successful than in Western countries. I have been married four times. My first three marriages were to western women. None of which lasted more than a year. I've been married to my Thai wife for 46 years. 

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I must say i didnt give everything to a Thai family, i gave them sod all.

Dont have to worry about our balcony, i cant get up there.:cheesy:

No worries about her brother with a machete, wife aint got any brothers.:cheesy:

So according to your reckoning i am safe.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, TonyClifton said:

If you want to prove something statistically go and find the figures then compare them with other countries otherwise it means nothing.

Seeking anecdotal responses achieves nothing.

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

I've been married to my Thai wife for 46 years. 

When did you last have sex with her?

If it was in the last week, I'll consider it a success.

If you reply, 'I'm not prepared to discuss such personal things in a public forum', I'll consider it a failure.

Archived