What Percentage of Western/Thai Marriages Work? I'll Bet It Is Very Low!

TonyClifton

Do you think Thai/Western marriages can ever work?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

If you want to prove something statistically go and find the figures then compare them with other countries otherwise it means nothing.

Seeking anecdotal responses achieves nothing.

The paper we can't quote says Thailand is 39%. 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce.  https://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/

In any event you are looking at worse odds than the come out roll of a new shooter in Vegas. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When did you last have sex with her?

If it was in the last week, I'll consider it a success.

If you reply, 'I'm not prepared to discuss such personal things in a public forum', I'll consider it a failure.

Is that the right question?  How many times a week is he having sex would be a better question who cares with whom.

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

THREE marriages that didn’t last a year ?!!! You know there are devices on the market to make it bigger right ? 

Western men (especially Brits for some reason?) like to make fun of Thai males and their size.

I have heard from reliable sources that 99% of Thai women like to have sex with their Thai partners. Reason for this while Thai male members are smaller they are nowhere near as limp as with Western (British?) males.

9 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Reason for this while Thai male members are smaller they are nowhere near as limp as with Western (British?) males.

My gf said, the bigger it is, the floppier it is.

I bow to her MUCH greater experience with mens private parts.

Me and my girlfriend after 7 years still have the same rule at the first place

in our relationship :

'If you watch a movie online on a tablet then you have to hold Fred in your mouth'

Double benefits because she can not speak at this time !

Married to my Thai wife for 22 years, one daughter of 20. I believe that the secret to our longevity is tolerance of our cultural differences, a calm approach to apparent conflicts and lots of alcohol (for me)  

24 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Western men (especially Brits for some reason?) like to make fun of Thai males and their size.

I have heard from reliable sources that 99% of Thai women like to have sex with their Thai partners. Reason for this while Thai male members are smaller they are nowhere near as limp as with Western (British?) males.

speak for yourself mate 

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My gf said, the bigger it is, the floppier it is.

I bow to her MUCH greater experience with mens private parts.

My gf said all she cared about was my tongue and all her girlfriends agreed. You boys are a bit silly seeing all the tomboys with Thai girls not to know what the genre really likes.  Practice licking your eyebrows and get all the really hot Thai girls. 

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't get married! Stay with her in Thailand and it might work long term. And if it does not work and you are not legally married then that's it. Legally you can walk away even after many years of living together.

Are you SURE about that?

Ha! Nice footnote on your post. Your vote did not count as the vast majority either voted for someone else or stayed home. Same with me, my voteopposing Individual #1 did not count. In both our cases the Electoral College did not look at our votes.....

As to relationships, I know of several acquaintances happy in their relationships but not all of us registered a marriage at the Amphoe office.

14 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Ha! Nice footnote on your post. Your vote did not count as the vast majority either voted for someone else or stayed home. Same with me, my voteopposing Individual #1 did not count. In both our cases the Electoral College did not look at our votes.....

As to relationships, I know of several acquaintances happy in their relationships but not all of us registered a marriage at the Amphoe office.

Marriage and going to church.  I've never figured out why anyone does either.  Money for nothing and the chic's aren't free. 

Up where i live all the marriages that were here when I came are still in place. I do not know one person in out area other than myself who has married a Thai and got divorced. Many have been married for quite a few years,one german man has been married of over 40 years.

I really don’t understand the fixation on statistical averages and need to quantify everything.  The success of my marriage has absolutely no bearing on whether someone else will be happy in their marriage.  I look at some marriages and think to myself, I could never live like that, but it could very well be the best relationship either person has been in, so they are content with their lot in life.

In my opinion, too many guys refuse to take responsibility for their own stupidity and want to blame it on the girl.  You chose her, you married her, you put yourself in financial peril.  If things fail, that is all on you, in my opinion.

I am not about to live my life based on averages or what other people do.  I lived in Thailand for twenty years before I decided to settle down.  I was 43 and she was 23 when we met.  No one I knew believed it would work.  We have been together more than 21 years.  We eloped and told our families after the fact.  We chose not to have children and this is our one and only marriage.  I speak her language and she speaks mine.  We share many similar interests but above all that, there is a synergy in our relationship.  We are better together than we are apart.

Screw the averages, we are happy.  Your happiness is up to you, not anyone else.????

On 1/6/2019 at 1:33 AM, mauGR1 said:

I'd say it's very difficult you'll get hard numbers.

How many old foreigners married with a much younger Thai lady would be willing to admit that their marriage has failed ?

They'd be lucky enough if they don't get kicked out of the house they bought.

Sorry if my comment sounds a bit cynical to some, it's just my impression, not supported by any real knowledge of hard facts.

Less than 50% of marriages succeed in the US. Of those, there's another percentage who while speaking the same language don't speak the same language or don't speak to each other. Forget sex. Even than men are on ED meds. Good luck. It's on the man.

In some states in the US in a divorce a wife will get the house or the house will be sold 50\50. Then there's alimony, the life styles require equalization, try half your pension and compensation for Healthcare. Suck it up, a man owns his share of a failed marriage or he wasn't man enough in keeping the marriage.

And in the US unless you have deep pockets, you are not marrying a woman half your age nor dating one. With the age gap even for safe sex with a working girl would an expensive release and even then that might not be of much quality. 

What a bar load of limp dick expats

On 1/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, kokesaat said:

Not any more than anyone can point at hard numbers showing the marriages don't work.

When I rack and stack all the Thai/American marriages I know of against all the American/American marriages I know of, the T/A come out on top.  I know more than a few handfuls of T/A who are closing in on 50 years together.  And many many handfuls of 10-20+ years of marriage.  Some fail, of course.......maybe more depending on who you associate with.   Likewise, my friends from military days who married Japanese and Koreans largely are together after more than 30 years.

I should add:  Of the marriages that I know of in the 40+ year range, that takes you back to the Vietnam War days.  At least a handful of the marriages in the 40+ year range are to women older than the man.  And the rest are near equal in age to their husband.  If there's any age gap, it's only a few years older/younger.  

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

If anybody knows of more than one marriage that succeeded....then the answer to the question is "Yes"....end of story?

My first marriage crashed and burned horribly... but she was Lao. Does that make a difference?

In the meantime, including my second rodeo, I know of 6 successful Thai-farang marriages.

Oops! Sorry. My virtue signaller just went off again.

I am not married and never have been, never will be. But I answered yes they can work.

At least as well as marriages work in the west and probably significantly better.

Why? Both sides have usually already been through the wringer. The western guy

is often on his second marriage and is more mature. The Thai girl has had the experience

of a relationship and abandonment by a Thai guy. The western guy appreciates the youth

beauty, and Asian submissiveness found in Asian culture. The Thai girl will appreciate the

western attitude to the responsibility to children, and the "nest/home" security and lifestyle.

Of course, these are generalizations. There are plenty of Thai lady scammers and western men

who are louts, ready to trade in their Thai wives for a younger model.

Archived