What Percentage of Western/Thai Marriages Work? I'll Bet It Is Very Low!

TonyClifton

Do you think Thai/Western marriages can ever work?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The latest research shows only 17.40 percent of marriages last longer than six years.

11.70 percent longer than 15-years

9.10 percent longer than twenty, probably because the guy dies.  lol

The woman's IQ rose by 15 points, the man's fell by 20.  Probably due to simple conversation.  

The woman did increase her net worth substantially, while the guy's mortality rate fell by 7 years.

if you are still reading this BS ...  lol    i'm not done.

If the age gap is more than 11 years, the man goes certifiably crazy.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of my friends here have only married in Thailand once, and are still married (apart from those who have died). Depends on what you mean by long term, most are between 6-12 years married.

There are a few people i know who have revolving door relationships - rarely lasting more than a couple of years. Usually the wife/girlfriend leaves. Why? Mainly because they probably always had a problem with women, even before they came to Thailand.  They just pick totally the wrong woman, or have unrealistic expectations (pick up a girl in a bar, start a business selling burgers from a motorcycle 3 wheeler, and wonder why she dumps him after a few months!). You do need to keep spending under control - most girls have dreams bigger than your bank account!

Sure, the exchange of sex for money is very much part of many Thai/farang marriages, and yes the conversations can be a bit boring, but you DO get looked after well). Compare that with my British marriage, which after 10 years was already so rocky that only the children kept me there. Here in 8 years, never screamed at and sex still good.

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Western men (especially Brits for some reason?) like to make fun of Thai males and their size.

I have heard from reliable sources that 99% of Thai women like to have sex with their Thai partners. Reason for this while Thai male members are smaller they are nowhere near as limp as with Western (British?) males.

I think that’s something to do with those western males being 40 years older than the girls...

17 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I doubt anywhere on the internet do they generalise more than on TV but this has to take the biscuit. 

Whst was was the sample size of the delightful penis comparing friends that you consulted ? There are 39,000,000 Thai females so I’m looking forward to this 

As a footnote surely a limpy is a badge of honour given there isn’t enough blood to fill the behemoth up !

I see that I upset quite a few members with this factual statement.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

The western guy appreciates the... ...and Asian submissiveness found in Asian culture.

Not sure about that bit either...

My wife is NOT submissive, she is accepting, but NOT submissive.

If I screw up, I am swiftly informed of the errors of my ways, but then we move on... that’s one of the things I love about her, no grudges.

In our local community here in the US, I can think of 12 farang/Thai couples offhand.  9 are still together.  One of the other three remarried another Thai and that one lasted.  However, several of the Thai women have played around a bit.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, TonyClifton said:

I'm not looking for the exception that proves the rule.  I'm looking for hard numbers.  I suspect that only a small percentage succeeds. Can anyone prove me to be wrong?

I suspect you may be wrong.

That is as fact based as your suspicion.

Most of the Farang/Thai marriages I know of seem to be lasting the course. I'd say the failures I know of are less than 5% of the ones that seem to be successful. 

8 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I wasn't aware we were specifically discussing your marriage.  Good to know.

I get the idea that you are specifically discussing your own marriage.

Why else would you start such a thread?

I'm sure you'll shoot me down with a smart comment about assumptions!

On 1/7/2019 at 1:50 AM, 473geo said:

Well I guess if the farang and his wife have gone through the process of building a home together for instance, the planning and the practical, discussions and agreements, then they already have more communication and interaction, than the renters. They are for a start having sex in a home they planned built and decorated.

The man provides the money, the girl provides sex.

The girl goes buys the house.

What process of building a home is that?

If the man is lucky he gets to live in the house

for awhile before she kicks him out and moves in

her Thai boyfriend!

A marriage based on material things of money, house, condo,

car, gold, motorbike does not have much chance of success.

Different religion, different values, low education, lack

of logic, one can expect a low rate of success. 

Rent don’t buy....

34 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

The man provides the money, the girl provides sex.

The girl goes buys the house.

What process of building a home is that?

If the man is lucky he gets to live in the house

for awhile before she kicks him out and moves in

her Thai boyfriend!

A marriage based on material things of money, house, condo,

car, gold, motorbike does not have much chance of success.

Different religion, different values, low education, lack

of logic, one can expect a low rate of success. 

Rent don’t buy....

Man provides the money !! Wrong.

Marriage based on material things !! Wrong.

you have a very low opinion of Thai ladies.... Sad.

I do not give my wife money.

My wife started building our house when i was in the UK for 9 months, when i found out the house was 70% complete. I paid the remaining 30%

At this point i had never been asked for 1 baht.

Material things, yes i bought the pickup, wife does not have any gold, never had any, never asked me for any.

Wife is very well educated, better than me actually.

So that blows holes in your post.

10 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Not sure about that bit either...

My wife is NOT submissive, she is accepting, but NOT submissive.

If I screw up, I am swiftly informed of the errors of my ways, but then we move on... that’s one of the things I love about her, no grudges.

...no knives, no meat cleavers either. Unlike my ex- from Laos.

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

In our local community here in the US, I can think of 12 farang/Thai couples offhand.  9 are still together.  One of the other three remarried another Thai and that one lasted.  However, several of the Thai women have played around a bit.

Good to know that things are pretty much unchanged in Peyton Place.

Another one to stick in the statistic:

Oz/Oz = 8 years, usual 3 kids etc etc, then

Oz/Oz = 6 years, no kids, then

Oz/Thai = 19 years, no kids (no sex). Hoping for another 20 years both very happy.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, Spidey said:

I can't understand why anyone would make their lives in a foreign country and not learn the language. I made every effort to learn the language when I arrived here, now I speak conversational Thai and Lao/Issan, which is the language my wife and I normally converse in. It's opened up a whole new world for me. Thai people have a great sense of humour and my wife and I spend most of our days laughing and joking. We're 2 very happy people.

You (two) are an exception.  The majority of TV members are no different than the majority in the world:

Not happy alone and not able to find happiness in relationships.  Bad attitudes, bad decisions. I cannot say I had the best start , but i like to think that I learnt to adjust and make better choices as time went on.

One choice I made long ago did pan out in the long run:  living in Thailand.   Just took me a long learning curve to be happy here.  Don't regret the process though..... our experiences are what make us what we are.

Mostly talk thai  with my GF .....and enjoy the days .  As for relationships lasting, well, its not how often you fail, its if you get it right in the end that counts.

Note: I do not subscribe to "marriage".  Don't like the terms of the contract.  But that's for each person to decide individually.

95% of my friends who have a Thai Partner or wife  are  happyly married  For myself U wass married for 32 yeeta with a Thai Lady. After she passed away I remarried another wonderfull Thai lady and are now alreadt 8 years happy married.

You usually find that anyone who posts these sort of posts (ripped off by thai lady)(buffalo died ) ( lost my house) etc are started by the the same losers here as in the west , been married over 20 years to a Thai , so have at least 7 or 8 guys i know , getting married is step you take , sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt , no matter who she is .Live with it .

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Man provides the money !! Wrong.

Marriage based on material things !! Wrong.

you have a very low opinion of Thai ladies.... Sad.

I do not give my wife money.

My wife started building our house when i was in the UK for 9 months, when i found out the house was 70% complete. I paid the remaining 30%

At this point i had never been asked for 1 baht.

Material things, yes i bought the pickup, wife does not have any gold, never had any, never asked me for any.

Wife is very well educated, better than me actually.

So that blows holes in your post.

Mr. Colin.... 

You did mention that a previous wife (gf?) did rip you off.

If you haven't remarried and found a nice lady would you still hold the same opinion. Realistically?

We are easily influenced by opinions. This is why (lately) I don't mind most of the comments when some poor sod tells me "everyone is payin' for it". I know I would probably hold the same opinion if I was "payin' for it". Maybe I would be the same?

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Mr. Colin.... 

You did mention that a previous wife (gf?) did rip you off.

If you haven't remarried and found a nice lady would you still hold the same opinion. Realistically?

We are easily influenced by opinions. This is why (lately) I don't mind most of the comments when some poor sod tells me "everyone is payin' for it". I know I would probably hold the same opinion if I was "payin' for it". Maybe I would be the same?

Good post mate, but i was pointing out that not all Thai ladies are money grabbing schemers.

Many are, but there are also many who are good caring, honest ladies.

red yesterday about wealthy usa man 48, married to 26 thai engineering  woman.

he did all in the right, however she cheated on him.

yeah, it is a weird thing, called love? 

however divorce rate others then with thai in many countries are also high.

it just doesnt matter. nowadays when only one hair is growing wrong way , it is a reason for divorce.

people everywhere changed and also marriage isnt anymore what it should be.

its temporarily nowadays, some are lucky to have a mate for life

I'm on my third marriage. First and second to Brits like myself. First one lasted nearly 20 years, but after the kids it slowly turned to friendship. Began to lead different lives, and we split after discussing whether to stay together for the kids. I think it was better that we didn't. Second marriage was a whirlwind, and no not a rebound thing, but lasted less than a year. The sex was always great but we quickly discovered not much else at all. Now I'm married to a Thai. 2 year relationship then we married 5 years ago. It ain't plain sailing by any means but haven't split yet.

5 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I've always assumed those who claim they 'aren't paying for it' are no longer having sex with their woman.

But I may be wrong.

If the question asked was 'can a sexless marriage with a Thai woman work', I would have certainly voted 'yes'.

(when I say 'sexless', I mean the husband isn't having sex with the wife)

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've always assumed those who claim they 'aren't paying for it' are no longer having sex with their woman.

But I may be wrong.

If the question asked was 'can a sexless marriage with a Thai woman work', I would have certainly voted 'yes'.

(when I say 'sexless', I mean the husband isn't having sex with the wife)

Let's say you are correct. I mean I already said the sex with the same woman gets boring and I got some hell for it on another thread. But sure... let's say it's a sexless relationship. 

However, what about in the first year of the relationship when we were bonking 4 times a day? I mean I wasn't "paying for it" back then either. Surely there exist needy and pathetic men like myself who don't want to be in relationship for sex only, but would rather have companionship. 

Sex in Thailand with women who have been bonked (or would not have issue being bonked) by hundreds of Arabs doesn't appeal to me. At all. 

Archived