Jump to content

Smog descends again on Bangkok area


webfact

Recommended Posts

Smog descends again on Bangkok area

By The Nation

 

912486c73ea22032cfc07a8da40cbe2b.jpeg

Ramalll areas // Photo from @js100radio

 

Air pollution settled on some areas of Bangkok and neighbouring provinces again on Sunday morning, reviving fears of eye irritation and other health issues.

 

The Pollution Control Department reported that 21 areas of Greater Bangkok had unsafe levels of particulates smaller than 2.5 microns (PM2.5) in the air. 

 

3a1dd978323c8868121847a38d6a8900.jpeg

 

The safe limit is 50 micrograms of PM2.5 per cubic metre, but the level was 76 on Rama II Road in Muang Samut Sakhon on Sunday morning, 80 on Rama III-Charoen Krung Road in Bangkok’s Bang Kho Laem district, 77 on Pathon Yothin Road in Chatuchak district, and 75 on Ratchadapisek-Tha Phra Road in Thon Buri.

 

The department warned that on Monday the air quality would be classified as “moderate to starting to affect health”.

 

People in poor health, small children, the elderly, pregnant women and anyone with chronic respiratory or heart issues are advised to minimise their time spent outdoors.

 

They should watch for symptoms such as coughing, breathing difficulty and eye irritation.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361691

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-07
Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

The department warned that on Monday the air quality would be classified as “moderate to starting to affect health”.

that is not what the numbers say; they say 'unsafe'

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Get those old buses/trucks/2stroke motocycles of the road.....they don't belong in Thailand 4.0 and are killing other people.

They form only a small part of the problem. Agricultural burning on industrial scale is the main cause of the smog problems in Bangkok, and the entire eastern Thailand at the moment. Provinces like Chantaburi and Rayong are suffering from the same brown cloud.

 

To stop crop and garbage burning, however, Thailand would need a functioning system of law and order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have put off traveling to BKK for a month now due to the poor quality air.  Not sure when I will go as there is something fundamentally wrong with visiting a place for a holiday when the air is unhealthy.  I would not eat food that will make me sick, and breathing the air does the same thing only maybe takes longer.  The idea of my hard earned retirement cut short because of breathing in soupy air just does not sit well.  Clean air is a basic necessity, at least in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bushwacker said:

I have put off traveling to BKK for a month now due to the poor quality air.  Not sure when I will go as there is something fundamentally wrong with visiting a place for a holiday when the air is unhealthy.  I would not eat food that will make me sick, and breathing the air does the same thing only maybe takes longer.  The idea of my hard earned retirement cut short because of breathing in soupy air just does not sit well.  Clean air is a basic necessity, at least in my opinion.

Air purifiers are cheap these days. If you live here. It will provide around 70% protection but we all have to go outside so unless wearing a mask you will be exposed to the other 30 %. That's acceptable for me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My eyes are burning so bad from this damn pollution that I cant go out on my Balcony and have a smoke! The Thais should do something before my health is affected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have pm 2.5 150 or AQI 200 right now , here in Pattaya.   Worst I have measured since I bought my AQI reader. 

Please take care out there and wear a pollution mask if you have to stay outdoor. 

 

 Capture.JPG.f33699f0dcdaef88f6ec61ca98562368.JPG

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, balo said:

I have pm 2.5 150 or AQI 200 right now , here in Pattaya.   Worst I have measured since I bought my AQI reader. 

Please take care out there and wear a pollution mask if you have to stay outdoor. 

 

 Capture.JPG.f33699f0dcdaef88f6ec61ca98562368.JPG

 

 

damn and I was gonna run to Pattaya to get out of this. Guess Ill try Hua Hin or chumphon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...