Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

webfact

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

It’s well documented that in general leavers are in the lower level of educational achievement. Can a fact be condescending? The Brexit campaign was a con job, targeting old people and the working classes over immigration ... something none of those campaigning for leave could give a fig about. They are all about low tax, low regulation, small government and privatisation ... something seldom mentioned on the campaign trail. Posh boys conning a vote out of dunderheads. And not for the first time.

Bitter, assumptive and wrong.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

It may be a fact but its yours and other peoples attitude that is condescending. Just because someone has a few letters after their name dosnt make them more intelligent. That attitude went out the window in the 70s and its offensive for you and the media to think you are better people because of it

But it does make them better educated ????

5 minutes ago, stevo2 said:
1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

It’s a fact that those who voted Brexit were generally lower on educational attainment. 

Not like Richard Branson and Bono then ?

Let's not forget David Beckham and Posh Spice

13 hours ago, JoePai said:

The EU is desperate to keep the UK as the EU needs the UK's money - hence the problems those nasty vindictive little maggots like Junkers keep throwing up  :bah:

No they are not, hence the shitty (for the UK) deal on the table. Not sure where you get this from, the UK is a small island in the grand scheme of things, the EU will be absolutely fine without the UK, the other way around is your problem, good bye and good luck. 

Thanks for the laugh though !

42 minutes ago, nontabury said:

The 2016 people’s referendum.

The one with a margin so tiny one still has to ask the question how democratic it really was. Such a profound decision IMHO should have a much greater margin than the one held two years ago. 

Why are you afraid of another referendum ? 

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

No they are not, hence the shitty (for the UK) deal on the table. Not sure where you get this from, the UK is a small island in the grand scheme of things, the EU will be absolutely fine without the UK, the other way around is your problem, good bye and good luck. 

This "shitty" deal, so rapidly approved by the EU. keeps the money coming in! So the main and immediate reason for desperation just disappears. 

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

This "shitty" deal, so rapidly approved by the EU. keeps the money coming in! So the main and immediate reason for desperation just disappears. 

So you honestly believe the EU will be hurting when the UK leaves ? Sorry you can't be serious. I mean numbers are at work here, the UK wasn't even the biggest EU contributor as measured by any of the four methods of measuring this. 

9 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

The one with a margin so tiny one still has to ask the question how democratic it really was. Such a profound decision IMHO should have a much greater margin than the one held two years ago. 

Why are you afraid of another referendum ? 

Its strange then that most remainers on here want another referendum using the same rules as the one held in 2016 I yet to see any remainers stated they want another referendum where either side has to get 75% of the vote for the referendum to be valid

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

That's ridiculous. The benefit that the UK derives from its EU membership in the form of gdp percentage points is many times higher than the eu payment contribution of 1.2% from the uk gdp.

6 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

So you honestly believe the EU will be hurting when the UK leaves ? Sorry you can't be serious. I mean numbers are at work here, the UK wasn't even the biggest EU contributor as measured by any of the four methods of measuring this. 

Yes, I honestly believe that the EU will be hurting when the UK leaves. And yes, I am serious.

No, the UK isn't even the biggest EU net contributor, it is the second biggest EU net contributor.

I also honestly believe that the EU is hurting anyway, UK out or not. And yes, I am serious.

6 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Frankly, I won’t care whether they hurt or not. It is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Sjaak, calm down a minute for Christ's sake. I really do understand your frustration, but the other half of the UK wishes to remain.

The place is going through a bad spell at the moment, thanks to ultra rich barons who feel that they aren't rich enough, convincing workers that 'you bloody foreigners' are the problem. Worse still, they are doing a good job.

As said, I understand your irritation, but there are millions of Brits who are as disgusted as you are. Please, don't abandon us.

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That's ridiculous. The benefit that the UK derives from its EU membership in the form of gdp percentage points is many times higher than the eu payment contribution of 1.2% from the uk gdp.

That's ridiculous. I'm not talking about any benefit that the UK derives from its EU membership. I'm talking about the UK contribution to the EU fudged budgets.

10 hours ago, keemapoot said:

So, the choice is only 1. May's flawed brexit deal or, 2. Hard brexit resulting in WTO tariffs and seeing British goods hammered on the world market, and going through the near impossible task of negotiating 60 or more trade agreements from a position of weakness.

Remaining is not conjecture. It has been implemented in practice over years and its effects quantified. 

How do you know, that a no deal exit would be terrible for the U.K.

The truth Is you Don’t know, unless your prepared to follow the wisdom of Cameron, George Osbourne, Nick Clegg, Mark Charney, Christine Lagarde, who all predicted that catastrophe would immediately follow if we were to foolishly Democratically vote to leave this so called union.

Much better to actually leave, and then if there are enough people unhappy, after say 20yrs, they could form their own party, with the intention of re-shackling our nation to the whims of the Bureaucrats in Brussels.

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

That's ridiculous. I'm not talking about any benefit that the UK derives from its EU membership. I'm talking about the UK contribution to the EU fudged budgets.

The fact that brexit is economically a lose-lose situation for the whole of europe was already clear on the first day after the referendum. Even Boris - the victor - immediately cut in his tail and threw the towel as a possible brexit pm leader.

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

How do you know, that a no deal exit would be terrible for the U.K.

The truth Is you Don’t know, unless your prepared to follow the wisdom of Cameron, George Osbourne, Nick Clegg, Mark Charney, Christine Lagarde, who all predicted that catastrophe would immediately follow if we were to foolishly Democratically vote to leave this so called union.

Much better to actually leave, and then if there are enough people unhappy, after say 20yrs, they could form their own party, with the intention of re-shackling our nation to the whims of the Bureaucrats in Brussels.

Yeah, the Article 50 period has only proven bloody awful so far. Brought to the UK by the same fractured political party who will lead us to a golden dawn. They can't even agree to the way we exit the EU, but you trust them on how the country is rebuilt post-Brexit (probably minus Scotland)?

No, I can't state for sure that a no deal exit will be terrible for the UK, but the balance of probability is way against it. I for one do not want to take that gamble.

50 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its strange then that most remainers on here want another referendum using the same rules as the one held in 2016 I yet to see any remainers stated they want another referendum where either side has to get 75% of the vote for the referendum to be valid

Well, I would think a 60-40 split to be much more realistic. I would support such a referendum, and it would've erased my criticism on the first. 

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

This whole dubious process is designed to force another vote, to keep us in.

Let’s assume for a moment that happens, another vote is really taking place and we meet again here a day after. What would be so bad about it? I don’t get it. What is your concern? 

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

The BS was incoming from all directions. 

Amazing how people openly admit the referendum was heavily manipulated but then expect others to somehow “respect” it and even call auch manipulated referendum “democratic”. If people really cared about democracy (and not only their own little victory) they would fight for a vote that is fair, not for one that cannot be trusted at all. 

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Yes our jobs. The ones taken in the UK, plus those 'exported' to Europe with EU grants!

You don’t own any jobs, and no one has taken any jobs from you or exported them. 

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

it's not easy in some areas and professions. 

That’s life. Not the EU. 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Yes, I honestly believe that the EU will be hurting when the UK leaves. And yes, I am serious.

No, the UK isn't even the biggest EU net contributor, it is the second biggest EU net contributor.

I also honestly believe that the EU is hurting anyway, UK out or not. And yes, I am serious.

Yeah the second net contributor just slightly ahead of my own country, the Netherlands, which has a much smaller population. Me think you are vastly overestimating yourself. But time will tell. Hard Brexit will probably mean UK products will  become much less popular inside the European internal market, and that will of course hurt your exports. Again numbers talk, volume talks. A hard Brexit will cost you more money than the agreement which is now on the table.  

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Sjaak, calm down a minute for Christ's sake. I really do understand your frustration, but the other half of the UK wishes to remain.

The place is going through a bad spell at the moment, thanks to ultra rich barons who feel that they aren't rich enough, convincing workers that 'you bloody foreigners' are the problem. Worse still, they are doing a good job.

As said, I understand your irritation, but there are millions of Brits who are as disgusted as you are. Please, don't abandon us.

I am not going to abandon you, but let's be honest here, they way things are going, you are going to exit without no deal at all. Even a suggestion of a second referendum isn't really very realistic considering the time issue, as I believe you guys need to leave at the end of March. 

16 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Let’s assume for a moment that happens, another vote is really taking place and we meet again here a day after. What would be so bad about it? I don’t get it. What is your concern? 

Amazing how people openly admit the referendum was heavily manipulated but then expect others to somehow “respect” it and even call auch manipulated referendum “democratic”. If people really cared about democracy (and not only their own little victory) they would fight for a vote that is fair, not for one that cannot be trusted at all. 

You don’t own any jobs, and no one has taken any jobs from you or exported them. 

That’s life. Not the EU. 

What is so bad about it is that it shows disregard for the democratic vote already taken.

I reckon that the BS was actually more from the remain side but I just count it as 50/50. I didn't really take much notice of it either way and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either. It's only the remainers that bang on about it and I'm sure that's only because they lost. 

Et bon nuit.

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I am not going to abandon you, but let's be honest here, they way things are going, you are going to exit without no deal at all. Even a suggestion of a second referendum isn't really very realistic considering the time issue, as I believe you guys need to leave at the end of March. 

You guys. ????

Archived