Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

webfact

28 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

IF (and it's a big if) the UK leaves the EU on 29/3, then:

- about 900,000 who voted for Brexit will no longer be alive

- nobody under the age of 20 3/4 will have been given the opportunity to help determine the long-term future of their country

Call this democracy? More like necrocracy to me...

What about all the young people who are now seeing jobs that should be theirs going to foreigners? How will they vote if they're given a chance?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What if you only lose by 500,000 next time instead of a million? Wait another 3 years and do it again? Until remain win by 100,000 and then we stop voting?

What bizarre logic.

We had the vote in 2016. Leave won. Get over it. 

So you believe that dead people have more right to decide the future of the country than 20 year olds? Now that's what I call bizarre logic.

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

How about any that fell foul of the '15 year' guff by having the audacity to live abroad?

Should have been given the vote. Particularly those living in the EU (the majority), who no doubt would have voted overwhelmingly to remain.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What about all the young people who are now seeing jobs that should be theirs going to foreigners? How will they vote if they're given a chance?

I would expect them to vote the same way as the 18-20 year olds did in 2016 - i.e. over 70% remain.

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It wasn't the EU that opened the flood gates it was our own government. Nobody else did so.

EU immigrants are now leaving in droves to be replaced with Africans and South Asians

We CHOOSE not to control ourborders

We have a minimum wage but don't enforce it

Our unemployment rate is <5% is it not? Essentially full employment with massive skill shortages. If you need a job, gain a skill.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

Or lookelsewhere! Right now you can work anywhere in the EU

Cameron committed the CONs but not parliament.

Ebough?

Our being in the EU permitted them to come take our jobs so companies could get cheap labour costing us millions in lost tax revenue and welfare payments. And the destruction of many of our peoples' work ethic forever.

We should leave, that's what was voted for.

Then, in the near future if there is an appetite there should be another referendum on rejoining- that would be the most democratic thing to do. Not this current farce.

17 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

So you believe that dead people have more right to decide the future of the country than 20 year olds? Now that's what I call bizarre logic.

People died the week after voting in the last general election. Did we have another vote a week later just in case the guy who died had voted Conservative but someone who turned 18 the same day might have voted Labour? 

An election or referendum takes place on a specific day, and those that are alive and choose to Vote decide the outcome. You lost, accept it. Stop creating spurious reasons for a Losers Vote.

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

wait until we leave with no deal and match any tariffs they impose on us.

Talking about “no deal” but not understanding WTO rules. Congrats. 

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

When we start buying Japanese cars instead of German ones. Start buying Australian and South African wine instead of French. Start taking holidays in non EU countries instead of Spain and Greece.

And for all that you needed Brexit? Interesting. 

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

We should leave, that's what was voted for.

Then, in the near future if there is an appetite there should be another referendum on rejoining- that would be the most democratic thing to do. Not this current farce.

That's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face and then trying to stick it back on with superglue.

5 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

That's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face and then trying to stick it back on with superglue.

Why is it? Does anyone know for sure that the UK outside the EU wont flourish?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A vote may indeed be a vote, but if the majority of the UK public is actually against going ahead with deal or no deal Brexit now that they know much better what that really looks like, there is no legal reason to block a revote. I understand why Brexiteers don't want it. They know they will lose. Doesn't sound very democratic to me. Sounds like they are trying to force a very bad decision to stand when the public now doesn't want it to stand. 

How does anybody know what the majority of the UK public are thinking ?

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Come on, Brexiteers don’t even understand what WTO rules mean, so much that they even reply with completely irrelevant off-topic taken from dubious weblogs that look like my little nephew has created it in Microsoft Frontpage (see user evadgib).

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

Come on, Brexiteers don’t even understand what WTO rules mean, so much that they even reply with completely irrelevant off-topic taken from dubious weblogs that look like my little nephew has created it in Microsoft Frontpage (see user evadgib).

And there you have your stereotypical remain superiority attitude. It equates to the ruling class in Thailand/Bangkok saying the country folk are too stupid to vote.

5 hours ago, keemapoot said:

It may be an issue of the remainers continuing to bang on and finally convincing a majority that they voted wrong last time. Isn't that what a democracy is supposed to do, be flexible to changing conditions so voters can make a more informed decision? Otherwise, policies could never change.

I am with the remainers on this. Always have been.

So picture this.

Thailand holds a General Election and the EC states that results will be announced in 60 days.

A week later NIDA publishes a poll showing that the majority support a pro-Govt party and Prayuth for PM. Curiously a flood of other Govt sponsored polls all announce the same result over the next eight weeks. Meanwhile there’s a series of announcements from various sources that point to certain turmoil for the country should the Govt party lose and Prayuth fail to become PM.

Finally the EC announce the GE result: Future Forward and an anti-Govt coalition win by a 4% margin.

The people rejoice but…

The Junta demands an immediate follow-up referendum since it is clear that the majority of voters made a mistake and Thai people should be given a second chance. They cite the recent precedent set by Britain – that great world democracy – that allowed for another vote on Brexit after the minority (the Establishment) failed to get their way.

And that would be perfectly OK for you?

1 minute ago, Antonymous said:

So picture this.

Thailand holds a General Election and the EC states that results will be announced in 60 days.

A week later NIDA publishes a poll showing that the majority support a pro-Govt party and Prayuth for PM. Curiously a flood of other Govt sponsored polls all announce the same result over the next eight weeks. Meanwhile there’s a series of announcements from various sources that point to certain turmoil for the country should the Govt party lose and Prayuth fail to become PM.

Finally the EC announce the GE result: Future Forward and an anti-Govt coalition win by a 4% margin.

The people rejoice but…

The Junta demands an immediate follow-up referendum since it is clear that the majority of voters made a mistake and Thai people should be given a second chance. They cite the recent precedent set by Britain – that great world democracy – that allowed for another vote on Brexit after the minority (the Establishment) failed to get their way.

comparing apples and oranges doesn't make a point... apples vs apples and oranges vs oranges it may work

24 minutes ago, sungod said:

Correct, nobody knows.

Remainers tend to lack confidence in their own country to stand on it's own 2 feet despite being the 5th largest economy in the world. It's pretty sad.

I wonder how they think all the hundreds of countries who are not in the EU survive. 

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

So , in the UK , "Old white voters were always the problem ..." ??

Is this the same "Old white voters.." who lost nearly everything  in order to see a Europe free of the swastika - you know , the same ones who finished paying off a "War Debt" 2006 ?  A debt  that most Euro countries - formally vassal states of Germany - didnt have to pay ?

You would have to be 89 or older now  to have fought against the natizs in ww2 - so somewhat less than 1% of the UK population - I don't think they are the problem.

And the war debt was to the US - our allies. 

39 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I am going to take a punt that all of that is impossible to prove.

but lets make a start - which jobs ?

Manual workers of all sorts. Myself along with three pals working with for same building maintenance firm were just 4 of 'em. We later discovered that the work had not 'dried up' as we'd been told but Eastern Europeans had taken our jobs for 30 quid a day. I never worked full time again. after that.

Tell me how on earth you possibly expect me to prove it!

You go out on the lake in your punt and prove it never happened.

3 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

See above:

1. Cancel A50

2. Invoke A50 again 

None of that requires consent from the other 27 or the EU. 

yes,

you are right about that I suppose

but there is nee point in doing unless all 28 agree to make a different deal

So picture this.

The people rejoice but…

False equivalence. General election is not the same as involvement in a political and economic union.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

44 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Talking about “no deal” but not understanding WTO rules. Congrats. 

And for all that you needed Brexit? Interesting. 

I understand WTO rules perfectly. We can use them to operate with the EU in the short to medium term until we agree a new trade deal with the EU after we've left.

During those new trade negotiations we can propose minimal tariffs on trade. If they do not want minimal tariffs, we can match any tariffs they impose on us. Since we buy more from them than we sell to them, they'd be pretty stupid to insist on high tariffs as it would make their products less competitive in the UK and market forces would ensure UK consumers bought more products from Asia, the US etc. Punishing us would cost them money.

By leaving on WTO terms we'd be free to make trade deals with everyone else in the world (for example, the US is a pretty big economy if you hadn't noticed). We'd regain sovereignty. We'd control immigration (I favour an Australia style points system), control our fishing waters etc. 

Just because you are naive enough to believe the Remain narrative that the sky will fall, planes will be grounded and there will be an outbreak of VD, doesn't mean we all are.

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

You would have to be 89 or older now  to have fought against the natizs in ww2 - so somewhat less than 1% of the UK population - I don't think they are the problem.

And the war debt was to the US - our allies. 

Juncker and his chums should be forced to walk past every gravestone in Normandy, Ypres and the Somme and say a personal thank you to all the British and Commonwealth soldiers that gave their lives so Europe could be free.  

He should also be reminded that Britain had to borrow $120 billion between 1939 and 1945 to fund this effort for freedom on the continent and that it took our taxpayers 61 years to pay it back. 

Perhaps we could also suggest that the EU pick up this tab with accrued interest, 

Not all of us forget and consign those old fellows and their mates' sacrifices to the dustbin and if we could go back in time how many of those men and their officers would have mutinied if they knew what would be happening now. We should have kept out of it and allowed Europe to sort itself out. Germany defeated France in 1870 and the sky never came crashing down.

Archived