Not again! Old lady's pension fund goes missing from Thai bank

webfact

6 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Then you probably had a lucky escape. Many, perhaps most Thais do not distinguish between a loan (which must be paid back) and a gift (which doesn't have to be paid back). If the money's in the bank, it's theirs. Thais aren't very good with the whole 'obligation and honour' thing. It's a major reason why the level of corruption in Thailand is what it is, and it isn't unique to Thailand; most African nations are exactly the same, which is why they have such a problem with corruption.

What a load of crock.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, puukao said:

290,000 baht???!??!?!    Why am I always paying for everything, these people have money!!!!  lol

Always sounds nice but we tend to forget that this are like lifetime savings of a few hundred baht per time, compared to us that would be like 300K USD (if saved that long). Imagine how that would feel, to suddenly be gone.

7 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Don't people call the police anymore?

Just stick it on facebook and hope for a result  . . . .  ????

Best way is contact the police AND the private (Thai-controlled) and public (Facebook, etc.) medias. The best possible initial outcome is that it goes viral.

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What a load of crock.

Please be polite. If you can't be polite and nobody gives you a posting holiday, then please don't bother responding to any more of my posts. Nothing quite betrays a poor education than a lack of good manners. Try not to let yourself down.

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They have learned that the police does nothing unless there's a loss of face involved. Facebook works well for giving the lazy arse BiB a whack.

Loss of face = cash enhancement.

6 hours ago, Rama said:

...hmmm...and I wonder why so many foreigners are hesitant to put the 800k into a bank for the annual visa??? the bank 'will look into it' - good luck with that.

The vast majority of retirees only have it in there for one minute anyway, and it aint even their money

I have a falang friend here who has a lot of money and has a bank account just in his name. He also has joint accounts and business accounts. His wife of many years is Lao and spends his money like it was lottery winnings. Hence the account only in his name, to protect at least some money.

Anyway, he was telling me recently he went to the bank several months ago to check on his own account and found it was short by about $100,000. He stormed into the bank manager's office demanding to know what was up and was told his wife came in to the bank and told them that he had given her the okay to withdraw money. So, they let her!

So, throw Laos into the mix of corrupt as heck places too.

10 hours ago, Kolantaman said:

Does this happen to farangs? If so what banks should be avoided??

Yes, it certainly does and I dont think that any Thai bank is immune. They do tend to target unused accounts though, so regularly updating your passbook (or checking your balance online) is a good idea.

The main problem here is that even if dishonest staff are caught they are hardly ever prosecuted and often go on to work in similar positions elsewhere. If all thieves in Thailand had a proper criminal record the statistics would make very interesting reading.

9 hours ago, Cereal said:

I have a falang friend here who has a lot of money and has a bank account just in his name. He also has joint accounts and business accounts. His wife of many years is Lao and spends his money like it was lottery winnings. Hence the account only in his name, to protect at least some money.

Anyway, he was telling me recently he went to the bank several months ago to check on his own account and found it was short by about $100,000. He stormed into the bank manager's office demanding to know what was up and was told his wife came in to the bank and told them that he had given her the okay to withdraw money. So, they let her!

So, throw Laos into the mix of corrupt as heck places too.

This sounds like exactly the type of thing that would happen in Thailand. Everything is informal here. Thais like to brag that they are "flexible" when the truth is that is many (maybe most) are simply undisciplined.

16 hours ago, Kolantaman said:

Does this happen to farangs? If so what banks should be avoided??

I think it can happen to anyone, though I'm not aware of any stories in the media about Farang.

You ask about banks, but my experience is that there is no consistency like this in Thailand. It is not that bank A is more risky than bank B. Thais, at any institution, are generally predisposed to breaking rules. There are even Thai proverbs about this national characteristic, and most Thai people I have encountered would agree.

No matter what Thai institution you interact with, Thais ALWAYS MUST BE micromanaged. You have to keep an eye on them and make sure that everything is as it should be. The more frequently you check, the less liklihood something bad will happen or you will at least be able to recover easier.

This is how Thais interact with each other as well.

18 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Then you probably had a lucky escape. Many, perhaps most Thais do not distinguish between a loan (which must be paid back) and a gift (which doesn't have to be paid back). If the money's in the bank, it's theirs. Thais aren't very good with the whole 'obligation and honour' thing. It's a major reason why the level of corruption in Thailand is what it is, and it isn't unique to Thailand; most African nations are exactly the same, which is why they have such a problem with corruption.

"most Thais do not distinguish between a loan (which must be paid back) and a gift (which doesn't have to be paid back). If the money's in the bank, it's theirs."

My siblings would fit in well in Thailand if that's the case. I suspect a Thai would at least say thank you even if they don't plan to pay you back. Not so with my family. Once my brother called me at work which was odd as I hadn't heard from him in over 6 months. He told me he needed to "borrow" some money. I told him I'd mail it to him after work. His response? "NO! You need to wire it to me right now". Didn't even get a thank you let alone a return of the "borrowed" money. Don't get me started on my sister.

3 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"most Thais do not distinguish between a loan (which must be paid back) and a gift (which doesn't have to be paid back). If the money's in the bank, it's theirs."

My siblings would fit in well in Thailand if that's the case. I suspect a Thai would at least say thank you even if they don't plan to pay you back. Not so with my family. Once my brother called me at work which was odd as I hadn't heard from him in over 6 months. He told me he needed to "borrow" some money. I told him I'd mail it to him after work. His response? "NO! You need to wire it to me right now". Didn't even get a thank you let alone a return of the "borrowed" money. Don't get me started on my sister.

Good family, I bet you feel lucky. Get them to come to Thailand, as you say, seems likely they'd fit right in. Don't tell them where I live and don't give them my phone number.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, HalfLight said:

Not unlike your own, friend.

Here's a hint. You're allowed to disagree without becoming obnoxious. Your choice of course and you appear to have chosen badly this time. Still, learning's a gradual process.

Your comment would have made sense if it were true but it isn't, your comment that I responded to initially was a nonsensical generalisation and a slur on Thai people generally.  Do you really think that your calling all Thais dishonest is not obnoxious?

You appear to have chosen badly this time. Still, as you said, learning's a gradual process.

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Your comment would have made sense if it were true but it isn't, your comment that I responded to initially was a nonsensical generalisation and a slur on Thai people generally.  Do you really think that your calling all Thais dishonest is not obnoxious?

You appear to have chosen badly this time. Still, as you said, learning's a gradual process.

Most Thais I've encountered are dishonest, or would be, given the opportunity. Your mileage might vary. Good luck with it continuing to vary. In the future, please try not to misquote me when replying to my posts. Or better still, don't reply at all.

3 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Most Thais I've encountered are dishonest, or would be, given the opportunity. Your mileage might vary. Good luck with it continuing to vary. In the futre, please try not to misquote me when replying to my posts. Or better still, don't reply and save us both some energy.

"Most Thais I've encountered are dishonest..."

Perhaps you're hanging out with the wrong people.

"Most Thais I've encountered are dishonest, or would be, given the opportunity".

They would be?  How would you know that if they haven't been "given the opportunity" and to date they're honest?  You're assuming that some Thais that you know who have, so far, not shown dishonesty as a trait would be dishonest in the future.  Got a crystal ball, have you?

" In the futre, please try not to misquote me..."

I'm pretty sure that I didn't misquote you but I'm happy to be corrected if you'll show me where I did.

"Or better still, don't reply and save us both some energy".

It's a forum where members can react to posts by other members; if you don't want interaction then it's you that needs to refrain from replying, not me!

On 1/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, CelticBhoy said:

Don't people call the police anymore?

Just stick it on facebook and hope for a result  . . . .  ????

Social media seems to get more attention and often forces the police into action.

42 minutes ago, KenKadz said:

And Thai Immigration mandates that I put money in a Thai Bank to qualify for a Retirement Visa next year?

Cars are still sold despite the daily accidents occuring.

Banks are still very popular despite " incidents" are happening.

10 hours ago, Sonhia said:

Similar thing happened to me after my Thai female X went off with a Thai Police man whilst I was in Europe.

It's like leaving the keys in your Benz, Beemer or any car for that matter, when going away for a holiday, and expect it to be there when you return....

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"Most Thais I've encountered are dishonest, or would be, given the opportunity".

They would be?  How would you know that if they haven't been "given the opportunity" and to date they're honest?  You're assuming that some Thais that you know who have, so far, not shown dishonesty as a trait would be dishonest in the future.  Got a crystal ball, have you?

I'm pretty sure that I didn't misquote you but I'm happy to be corrected if you'll show me where I did.

It's a forum where members can react to posts by other members; if you don't want interaction then it's you that needs to refrain from replying, not me!

Boring. Time for a cuppa.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Fair enough. Well, if you won't undertake to refrain, then please feel free to reply in the knowledge that I shall not see those replies. It isn't interaction that I wish to avoid, it's numptiness; there's already too much numptiness in the world, we need less not more. Sooo. Welcome to my ignore list.

3 hours ago, KenKadz said:

And Thai Immigration mandates that I put money in a Thai Bank to qualify for a Retirement Visa next year?

Time deposits here are pretty secure. I've never heard of money being removed from one fraudulently.

Anyone concerned about this sort of thing should subscribe to their bank's SMS warning service, which most banks here seem to offer. Usually costs 10-20B/month.

Archived