Smog Hangs Over Bangkok’s Return To Normal

webfact

Smog Hangs Over Bangkok’s Return To Normal

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

smog-696x485.jpg

Heavy smog is seen in the sky over Bangkok on Monday morning. Photo: @SuGiRii / Twitter

BANGKOK — Weather conditions and vehicle emissions are being blamed for the return of smoggy skies over the capital.

As of Monday morning, Bangkok’s air pollution had risen to unhealthy levels, according to independent measurements. The Pollution Control Department said the level of ultrafine particles in 36 areas across the metropolitan area exceeds acceptable levels.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2019/01/07/smog-hangs-over-bangkoks-return-to-normal/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-07
  • Haha 1

Motorists told to switch to public transport to help ease air pollution

Pollution.png

The Pollution Control Department has pleaded with motorists in Bangkok to switch to public transports to help reduce car emissions and improve air quality in and around Bangkok.

The appeal was made after the department’s monitors of air quality in and around Bangkok this morning showed that the air quality was at a level which “starts oto pose health hazards” with the amount of dust particles hovering in the air increasing.

Air quality readings show particulate of less than PM2.5 exceeding standard level of 50 micron but not up to 90 micron in 20 areas as follows:  roadsides of Kanchanapisek road in Bang Khun Thian district, Bang Na, Klong Chan, Bang Kapi, Din Daeng, Intharapitak road, Lat Phrao road, Din Daeng road, Phya Thai, Plaplachai and Wang Thong Lang district.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/motorists-told-to-switch-to-public-transport-to-help-ease-air-pollution/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-01-07

28 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

smog-696x485.jpg

Looks like CM on a good day. Get used to it or move.

'Looks like CM on a good day. Get used to it or move.'

That is the top and tail of it, and exactly what I did= move that is- but Bangkok is a great city.  One wonders if the poster follows his own advice regarding adversities in his life- so often it is a different case.

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

smog-696x485.jpg

Looks like CM on a good day. Get used to it or move.

I am going to move from Bangkok This is bad and the authorities are not doing anything about it They just blame cars for it How about the industry since cars are a secondary factor  They need to take steps to seriously reduce the pollution or they will lose a lot of tourism since the pollution situation is being reported by the International media 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I am going to move from Bangkok This is bad and the authorities are not doing anything about it They just blame cars for it How about the industry since cars are a secondary factor  They need to take steps to seriously reduce the pollution or they will lose a lot of tourism since the pollution situation is being reported by the International media 

I'm leaving too. It's bad enough that we can't trust anything we eat because of pesticides etc. Now we have to breathe this polluted air too.

As you said, no officials seem interested in  improving things.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

I'm also sick of it, it's very bad.

But the authorities should force the Thai to use clean vehicles, not those huge cars with dieselmotors, very old buses/trucks, fires every night against cold or for fun, bbq's on every street, longtailboats with oversized van-motors, and so on....

Also stop with all those markets everywhere, the vendors drive from market to market daily, better have more large supermarkets (foreign ones to promote competition and lower prices). More megashops will also help who get stocked by trailers instead of hundreds of pickups.

I'm afraid, the attraction to poon tang is stronger than the revulsion to pollution, at least among the tourists...

Plus, for the Chinese, Thailand's polluted air is a breath of fresh air compared to what they have every day at home....

Not defending the status quo.... Just pointing out the realities of things.

• Like 1

Air pollution back with a vengeance in greater Bangkok

By The Nation

575a4c7bf9ee7b24daa4697d376e4e01.jpeg

With the joy of the New Year holidays having just passed, the woe of air pollution has again struck people in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces this week.

The high pollution level, which resumed in the capital’s air on Sunday, reviving fears of eye irritation and other health issues, was still lingering on Monday. 

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) reported that, as of 7am, 20 roadside areas and 16 general areas (away from main roads) of greater Bangkok had unsafe levels of particulates smaller than 2.5 microns (PM2.5) in the air. 

The safe limit is 50 micrograms of PM2.5 per cubic metre of air. 

The PCD later updated on its Facebook page that as of midday, 17 roadside areas and 17 general areas of greater Bangkok had unsafe levels of PM2.5. 

The agency urged people to refrain from outdoor burning and using vehicles emitting black exhaust smoke. 

Members of the public can follow the latest on the air-pollution situation via the smartphone application Air4Thai and the PCD’shttp://air4thai.pcd.go.th website, it said.

The department said the rising amount of dust in the air stemmed from the prevailing weather conditions plus the increased volume of traffic on the streets following the holiday period. 

The PCD will therefore work with related agencies to implement measures to tackle the PM2.5 dust issue, such as having city workers spray water into the air and clean the roads.

During the New Year holiday period of December 30 through January 5, the amount of PM2.5 dust in greater Bangkok had been within the safe limit of 50 micrograms.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361764

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-7

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Holiday over... Back to "normal"!

The (lack of) air quality in BKK is really making me see RED!!!!

54171044_2019-01-0712_53_25.jpg.02b7b9c690b12b02af26e36d78f68aa4.jpg

You spot on 

The air quality is unhealthy in all part of Bkk and Chonburi and saraburi is right now 213

How can that be normal 

Can Thai government only lie to people??? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

You spot on 

The air quality is unhealthy in all part of Bkk and Chonburi and saraburi is right now 213

How can that be normal 

Can Thai government only lie to people??? 

Yes, nearly every day ????

So, what happened to the Bangkok administrator who stated that the air pollution issue was resolved last time when he got water carts to spray water upwards. That muppet should be removed from public office and told to stay in his village, like the village idiot that he is. I really do hope that the majority of the population actually shook their head in disbelief at his statements.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Air pollution back with a vengeance in greater Bangkok

By The Nation

575a4c7bf9ee7b24daa4697d376e4e01.jpeg

With the joy of the New Year holidays having just passed, the woe of air pollution has again struck people in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces this week.

The high pollution level, which resumed in the capital’s air on Sunday, reviving fears of eye irritation and other health issues, was still lingering on Monday. 

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) reported that, as of 7am, 20 roadside areas and 16 general areas (away from main roads) of greater Bangkok had unsafe levels of particulates smaller than 2.5 microns (PM2.5) in the air. 

The safe limit is 50 micrograms of PM2.5 per cubic metre of air. 

The PCD later updated on its Facebook page that as of midday, 17 roadside areas and 17 general areas of greater Bangkok had unsafe levels of PM2.5. 

The agency urged people to refrain from outdoor burning and using vehicles emitting black exhaust smoke. 

Members of the public can follow the latest on the air-pollution situation via the smartphone application Air4Thai and the PCD’shttp://air4thai.pcd.go.th website, it said.

The department said the rising amount of dust in the air stemmed from the prevailing weather conditions plus the increased volume of traffic on the streets following the holiday period. 

The PCD will therefore work with related agencies to implement measures to tackle the PM2.5 dust issue, such as having city workers spray water into the air and clean the roads.

During the New Year holiday period of December 30 through January 5, the amount of PM2.5 dust in greater Bangkok had been within the safe limit of 50 micrograms.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361764

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-1-7

Govt or ministries related to this problem is never taking any seroius measures to control this.One can find a number vehicles specifically cars,pickups, and bikes which are being used over their age and hence leave a disastrous amount of smoke but that is really negligible to thai govt.I have never seen in past years if any vehicle is being fined for pollution.these are the hazardous to environment as well as public health.

Edited by Jimmy 20

Govt or ministries related to this problem is never taking any seroius measures to control this.One can find a number vehicles specifically cars,pickups, and bikes which are being used over their age and hence leave a disastrous amount of smoke but that is really negligible to thai govt.I have never seen in past years if any vehicle is being fined for pollution.these are hazardous toenvironment as well as public health.

Looking more like China everyday. 

I was comparing Bangkok with Beijing, Shangai and Tianjin and actually during past weeks the air quality was worse in Bangkok.
If the air quality is “unhealthy” should the Government not take action like ban busses, trucks and other polluting vehicles in the city? Is wearing a mask their only sollution to the problem? I also suspect burning rice fields is contributing a lot to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

We have to get proactive - neither the BMA nor anyone else is going to help us. I started wearing this type of mask (image 1) when out many years ago. Now I wear one all the time when out except when eating. I've recently replaced the standard filter which comes with the basic mask with filter material cut from a 3M (alleged) PM2.5 N95 disposable respirator mask available at Big C central (image 2). The green-seal, one-way valve mask is available at Home Pro and Power Buy. It's your body and your choice. Total cost for the two 160 baht.

One_way_valve_mask.jpeg.df30e7b21b1de0cf7741930bff15fb04.jpeg

3M_PM2.5_Mask.jpeg.760c4048dcd53cc7482bfe9314a2a53e.jpeg

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

It’s shocking state and all we hear is BMA “beg drivers to use public transport “ no chance in the “Selfish city “ Looking and feeling more like the Polluted Chinese cities I lived in ! Ironically that country is dealing with the problems whereas Thailand its just words of sympathy !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1