Some online fora are already banning any mention of visa services

This would seem to indicate the direction that many of us need to take. Since TI decided to make the rules more specific at the

same time that many of the embassies abandoned us, it's clear that lower-priced visa services that route some tea-money to the RTP

is what is needed. Give the Thais what they want and then we get what we want. Very simple recipe for success.

15 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This would seem to indicate the direction that many of us need to take. Since TI decided to make the rules more specific

And what direction do you feel you need to take?

How do you make rules "more specific". A rule is a rule. Rules by definition are specific.

If you could not previously obey the rules it is not the Thai authorities, or those of us who have always been legal, but your problem that the clarifications do not suite your probably illegal requirements. 

The clarifications suite the Thai requirements.

Enjoy the rest of your time in LOS.

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

And how do you make rules "more specific". A rule is a rule. Rules by definition are specific.

If you could not previously obey the rules it is not our problem that the clarifications do not suite your requirements. 

The clarifications suite the Thai requirements.

Enjoy the rest of your time in LOS.

An amazingly obtuse understanding of what is going on. They are making it MORE difficult, not LESS difficult to get an extension. That is all you need to know. If any proof of income will be acceptable until 2020, then that makes things a bit more palatable, otherwise, not enough leeway has been granted commensurate with what we LOST when the embassies threw us under the bus.  The rejoinder about "if you could not previously obey the rules", was totally uncalled for. I have been getting extensions for three years. Another member of the "Ha ha, You're leaving and I've got money" gang.  A pathetic bunch, to be sure.

Edited by KhunFred
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This would seem to indicate the direction that many of us need to take.

What direction are you talking about?

24 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

An amazingly obtuse understanding of what is going on

What is obtuse is your first post.  It implied to me that you cannot continue with the clarification.  Is that The case?

25 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

I have been getting extensions for three years

By what method did you "obtain" your previous extensions and how does the clarification make things different for you now? 

Just now, scottiejohn said:

What direction are you talking about?

What is obtuse is your first post.  It implied to me that you cannot continue with the clarification.  Is that The case?

By what method did you "obtain" your previous extensions and how does the clarification make things different for you now? 

Embassy letter. Embassy letter is no longer available. I have much more income than is legally required, but I cannot redo the bank deposits until next year. If I have a full year to show my deposits into a Thai bank, then there is no problem. My income has been split all year between the United States and Bangkok Bank. I use my US bank account to pay credit cards. Recently I returned my Social Security payment to the USA to help meet those requirements. I have intentions of moving the payment BACK to Bangkok Bank sometime in May. This would mean that I cannot show a full year of deposits into a Thai bank, regardless of having about 80 thousand baht in total income. This is as clear as day.

2 minutes ago, balo said:

It's easy to use an agent , that's all you need to know really.

Is that to just make life easy while meeting all the legal requirements or do you mean using an agent to circumvent the law which is what I suspect the OP and yourself are alluding to?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, balo said:

It's not about breaking any law , but its about letting the agent borrowing you 800k , a normal practice that has been going on for at least 20 years, 

Even the lawyers here will tell you it's within the law. 

It is the same as the false declarations made by liars to the Embassies on their "Stat Decs".  It IS breaking the law if you are making a false declaration either at your Embassy or via an agent.

False declarations are what the Thai Authorities are quite rightly trying to stamp out.

Edited by scottiejohn
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

. I have intentions of moving the payment BACK to Bangkok Bank sometime in May.

The information has just been released.

if you choose to delay 4 or 5 months on making transfers into Thailand that, of course is your decision.

If your extension finishes after June  then you will be able to show that you made payments into Thailand every month after your extension finished. You will be safe.

But if your extension finishes in February and you don't bother to make payments until May do not be surprised if you don't qualify for the extension.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

It is the same as the false declarations made by liars to the Embassies on their "Stat Decs".  It IS breaking the law if you are making a false declaration either at your Embassy or via an agent.

False declarations are what the Thai Authorities are quite rightly trying to stamp out.

I'm not sure they are the same. After all, if you borrowed 800K for three months from a friend to meet the extension requirement, would that be illegal?

On the other hand, there have been a lot of people doing the income route who have been lying through their teeth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

BTW: They are not actually lending you anything, they are providing false documentation to say that you have the "Borrowed" money and that it has been seasoned in an account for the LEGALLY required time! An Illegal practice.

You are completely wrong. The money goes into the bank account.  Both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn have been working with the agents.  

So the money IS borrowed and it IS going into your bank account. The only difference is it not there for 3 months. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Is that to just make life easy while meeting all the legal requirements or do you mean using an agent to circumvent the law which is what I suspect the OP and yourself are alluding to?

You are not CIRCUMVENTING the law when the law DIRECTS YOU to use visa services, even in an indirect manner. This the way Thailand immigration has always been structured. Everyone dances around the term "bribery" but it is just the way that business is done here. Even Immigration tries to deny it. Visa services are not only LEGAL, they have become a NECESSITY.

Edited by KhunFred
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The information has just been released.

if you choose to delay 4 or 5 months on making transfers into Thailand that, of course is your decision.

If your extension finishes after June  then you will be able to show that you made payments into Thailand every month after your extension finished. You will be safe.

But if your extension finishes in February and you don't bother to make payments until May do not be surprised if you don't qualify for the extension.

My extension finishes in October. I will have to use an agent, apparently. I pay my bills first. Everything else is secondary.

Well, Balo is correct, the money is actually lodged into your account, but only for a couple of days....the bank is also involved in this naturally....as for borrowing from a friend, that will not possible as it appears they will be seeking for foreign funds deposited only, a small code in the left hand corner of the transaction FTT I think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

You are not CIRCUMVENTING the law when the law DIRECTS YOU to use visa services, even in an indirect manner. This the way Thailand immigration has always been structured. Everyone dances around the term "bribery" but it is just the way that business is done here. Even Immigration tries to deny it. Visa services are not only LEGAL, they have become a NECESSITY.

Seven retirement extensions and not an agent in sight. They are only a NECESSITY for people who do not have enough money to satisfy the Thai Immigration requirements. It's their country and they make the regulations. Just as you would not be allowed to take your Thai wife to live in UK if you were not earning over a certain amount (£16,000 ish I think)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, namatjira said:

Well, Balo is correct, the money is actually lodged into your account, but only for a couple of days....the bank is also involved in this naturally....as for borrowing from a friend, that will not possible as it appears they will be seeking for foreign funds deposited only, a small code in the left hand corner of the transaction FTT I think.

Are you sure the 800k needs to be from a foreign source? I know guys who have had that sum in a bank for years, untouched, gaining a bit of interest, and there if needed for health or other emergencies. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

My extension finishes in October. I will have to use an agent, apparently. I pay my bills first. Everything else is secondary.

I have no proof, though there have certainly been strong indications that if you start making payments this month (maybe even February) that immigration will accept the incomplete year of payments. As I mentioned a delay until May probably means either agent or refusal for insufficient funds. 

So if the extension is secondary it suggests that staying in Thailand is not a priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I never understand why so much animosity from the hollier than thou on this subject. There could be many reasons people use an agent, maybe a sudden illness has cleared their account, low XE, family commitments the list is endless. How can people say "shouldnt be here go home" if you havnt the funds. Its a nasty streak to have and am sure Karma will eventually play its part

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1