Back to back METV Refused

I tried to apply for the METV but got rejected, the embassy says now it’s stricter and one has to wait 3 months after leaving Thailand before applying again ☹️

Anyone in that situation? (France)
I’ve been doing back to back tourist visas for almost 4 years with regular breaks in France.
Basically if more than 6 months spent in Thailand the past year then need to take a break for 3 months...

Edited by jitowix

Im about to get metv in oz.

Ill call beforehand to check for recent changes on rules.

If i find about rules like this for aussies it will affect my life a bit.

Im guessing after election There will be a mix up again of rules.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I wonder why France is strict!

History?  No idea - just a guess.

54 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Maybe, but the changes which are reducing Western expat numbers (and the jobs we create) did not begin with this govt, and are unlikely to end when the next one comes in.  I doubt they'll even reign-in Bangkok Airport immigration staff making up non-existent rules, and hiding their denials-of-entry behind lying rejection-stamps.

This is, for now, a French issue relating to tourist visas and not an issue relating specifically to METV's. This policy has been the case for Thai visas issued in France for many years.

There are no reports, yet, of any such policy in other Western Thai embassies/consulates.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Most of those are being filled by Cambodians and Burmese aren't they?

Far too many, since those building condos and such can save a baht or two per sq-meter hiring cheap foreigners who live in tin-shacks instead of decently-paid Thais with "homes" to return to at night.  

But, public-facing jobs (restaurant servers, front-desk clerks, etc) are "Thai Only" jobs, so there is still a lot of benefit generated by visitors - especially those who frequent businesses with a low employee/customer ratio, as visitors from higher-wage countries generally do with greater frequency (and tip well to boot).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

are METV's designed for year round living in Thailand

They are designed to allow 60-day stays from each entry, with an optional (at immigration's discretion) 30-day extension of each stay, until the visa expires ("enter before" date).  As with any "tourist" type entry, working a Thai job is prohibited.  Those are the rules written by those who created the visa.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But, public-facing jobs (restaurant servers,

Well to be honest I see a LOT of restaurant workers who are non-Thai too. Perhaps because I go to a lot of places not central. Even my pool service guys are non-Thai.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

They are designed to allow 60-day stays from each entry, with an optional (at immigration's discretion) 30-day extension of each stay, until the visa expires ("enter before" date).  As with any "tourist" type entry, working a Thai job is prohibited.  Those are the rules written by those who created the visa.

isn't one of the requirements to have a job in home country, from the Thai embassy london '' 

A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)
        If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

so not designed for year round living in the land of smiles

In Melbourne I got an older 3ETV and then 3 METV, all back to back with a one month break in between.. No employment, retired and had no issues.. I then thought IO wouldn't accept anymore because I w 9 as basically living in Thailand. With each METV affectively giving me 6+2=8 months and an 30 day extension, I was getting 9 months from this visa..

I have now gone with a Non-Imm O-A extension to retirement as I'm well into 50+. My first year is almost finished so I'll do a exit and return before expiry to gain my additional 1 year.. Still don't need to have 800k in a Thai bank or show average 65k monthly deposited..

I'll have until 2020 before these would be consideration to sort out..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

Are arbitrary age requirements for retirement based on any valid logic or financial statistics?  Are the rules standard for every Embassy and Consulate internationally as they should be?  Do you have and more invalid questions?  Will you stop interjecting pointless comments into threads that don't involve your particular situation?  Shall I go on? Have you had enough? Now, do you know how it feels? Mind your own business big mouth.

• Thanks 1

France has an awful reputation and the staff are very unfriendly and unwelcoming. Not only for METV s but for SETV s as well. I have a flight ticket valid 3 months and 19 days. They will not give me an SETV ! Even with flights out to Myanmar, hotels booked, flights paid for , documents and money all in hand.I come in visa exempt because of this and do a visa elsewhere. I never had problems before when Monaco or Marseille consul was open.Theyve closed both. 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's something that some embassies made up, for example in Germany this requirement does not exist.

And a retiree using METVs does not have an employer to write such a letter so it can't be required in all cases.

35 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Are arbitrary age requirements for retirement based on any valid logic or financial statistics?  Are the rules standard for every Embassy and Consulate internationally as they should be?  Do you have and more invalid questions?  Will you stop interjecting pointless comments into threads that don't involve your particular situation?  Shall I go on? Have you had enough? Now, do you know how it feels? Mind your own business big mouth.

the thread is about metv's, its a public thread and i was on topic, how many pointless comments have i made, the op is complaining he can not get another metv without a break and i ask the question are they designed for all year round living in Thailand, and my answer to this question is no, get the correct visa for  your circumstances, if under 50 get an elite visa, if over then a non imm, its because people sail close to the wind with their visa use, that immigration change the rules and make it tough for people with the correct visa applications, look at ed visa's and visa exempt, so my polite nice man, this thread is about metv's and not big mouths and who has the biggest. Age requirements are standard throughout the world for Thailand, if they wanted under 50's to live here full time that would come up with a suitable visa, oh sorry they have an elite visa, in my mind metv's are designed for tourists that what to explore south east asia and pop in and out of Thailand whilst doing that.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

France has for years been more strict about issuing tourist visas than Thai consulates in most other Western countries. Your experience does not shock me. Unlucky.

They know what the French are up to. ????

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, stud858 said:

Im about to get metv in oz.

Ill call beforehand to check for recent changes on rules.

If i find about rules like this for aussies it will affect my life a bit.

I had 9 days between my previous ones

On 1/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, owenm said:

In Melbourne I got an older 3ETV and then 3 METV, all back to back with a one month break in between.. No employment, retired and had no issues.. I then thought IO wouldn't accept anymore because I w 9 as basically living in Thailand. With each METV affectively giving me 6+2=8 months and an 30 day extension, I was getting 9 months from this visa..

I have now gone with a Non-Imm O-A extension to retirement as I'm well into 50+. My first year is almost finished so I'll do a exit and return before expiry to gain my additional 1 year.. Still don't need to have 800k in a Thai bank or show average 65k monthly deposited..

I'll have until 2020 before these would be consideration to sort out..

From my oen and friend's information the Oz consulate only cares that you have supporting documentation regarding funds. 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, steve187 said:

Yes, it seems so. If you've got a condo you used to be able to get non O 1 yr., now consulates say, just get metv.

Also, no such time between metv rule for Melbourne consulate. 

Edited by stud858