Natiowide Visa Debit Card - Paying Bills In Thb

Hi

Every so often I pay a bill to a Thai company, based in Thailand on a Thai website, in THB and can use a credit card.

Topfield has mentioned that the Nationwide Visa Debit card gives the favorable onshore rate when used in ATM's

Questions is : if i was to use this card to pay the bill do you know if i would get onshore (better) or offshore (worse) rate ?

Cheers

Edited by Khun Bob

Looking at my last few transactions, the rates were:

26 Jan 70.332

27 Jan 69.974

29 Jan 69.974

I'm pretty sure that these are the on-shore rates.

Oswulf - thanks for the reply

Yes to do look like on-shore - as far as i am aware onshore has stayed in the range 69-70 ond off-shore has been 65-66 for the past month.

But, I'm not sure when this change began and your transactions are nearly 1 month ago...

Still it is encouraging...

I'm tempted to just pay 250bt and see what happens with Nationiwde credit, then pay 250bt with nationwide visa debit...

Oswulf - were your transactions for normal customer present(ie in a shop) purchases or on-line purchases ?

Does anyone have any more recent rates on online purchases for the nationwide visa debit card or credit card ?

Edited by Khun Bob

26 Jan 70.332

27 Jan 69.974

29 Jan 69.974

Yes to do look like on-shore - as far as i am aware onshore has stayed in the range 69-70 ond off-shore has been 65-66 for the past month.

But, I'm not sure when this change began and your transactions are nearly 1 month ago...

I'm tempted to just pay 250bt and see what happens with Nationiwde credit, then pay 250bt with nationwide visa debit...

Oswulf - were your transactions for normal customer present(ie in a shop) purchases or on-line purchases ?

Does anyone have any more recent rates on online purchases for the nationwide visa debit card or credit card ?

hi Khun Bob

I have the info you want or at least how to get it.

N/W (Mr Lock and his dpt ) have a list of the N/W rates going back yonks. They call it their 'Treasury rate"

Am sure you can get these rates if you request them.

By the way have now tested the 7am card daily limit changeover time. One minute to seven no cash , one minute past and the cash spewed out !

hi Khun Bob

N/W (Mr Lock and his dpt ) have a list of the N/W rates going back yonks. They call it their 'Treasury rate"

By the way have now tested the 7am card daily limit changeover time. One minute to seven no cash , one minute past and the cash spewed out !

Extremely useful information there for those on an all night bender and short of cash at 6.59am.

:o

hi Khun Bob

Extremely useful information there for those on an all night bender and short of cash at 6.59am.

:o

Humourous remark , but clearly what is a very important point for all cardholders at ATM'S in Thailand was not grasped . ....

Namely that once a card holder has reached his daily limit ,should he be in need of further cash , for hotel bills or whatever, he will have to wait until not midnight as one might expect, but until 7 am the following day before any further funds will be available to him at the ATM.

26 Jan 70.332

27 Jan 69.974

29 Jan 69.974

hi Khun Bob

Excellent research Topfield !

Why is it that some people dont value your contributions and realise what a true asset you are to this website ?

Topfield - keep going your doing very well and have helped me significantly !

Dont be put off by some of the negative comments made here - many registered and anonymous users here appreciate what you are doing but just dont say it - more of them should and give you the recognition you deserve !

Oswulf were your transactions for bill payments or ATM withdrawals - and if the latter then which type of card?

Two were purchases, the third a cash withdrawal - all made using a Nationwide VISA debit card.

Thanks Oswulf - I think I will have a go with the visa debit card and the visa credit card and see what happens (if I can do that on the website of course). Seems the Visa debit card would be the best to try first....

This thread is a first for me as George has decide to include it in the emailed list of TV topics - why did George pick this one over the much better, IMHO, other threads I have started. Mmmh, maybe it wast george selecting the posts, maybe it was something else ?

I am getting the unfavourable offshore rate (65.02 being the last one on 17/2) when using ATMs. This is using my nationwide CASH CARD (ie. not a debit or credit card).

Can it really be that the other types of nationwide card are using the favourable onshore rate?

The rates seem to have changed to offshore. They changed latter than they should but now they are poor.

I am getting the unfavourable offshore rate (65.02 being the last one on 17/2) when using ATMs. This is using my nationwide CASH CARD (ie. not a debit or credit card).

Can it really be that the other types of nationwide card are using the favourable onshore rate?

The rates seem to have changed to offshore. They changed latter than they should but now they are poor.

nationwide visa debit and credit card seems to get on-shore - nationwide cash card (cirrus - mastercard net_ get off-shore

from the visa website just now :

Currencies fluctuate every day. The rate shown is effective for

transactions submitted to Visa on February 27, 2007.

1 British Pound = 69.99 Thai Baht

The 'currency calculator' below gives you an indication of the cost of purchases you make when travelling internationally.

Effective: Feb 27, 2007

1 GBP = 69.99 THB / 100 THB = 1.43 GBP

Thai Baht to British Pounds

100 = 1.43 5000 = 71.58

500 = 7.16 7500 = 107.37

1000 = 14.32 10000 = 143.16

2000 = 28.63 15000 = 214.74

2500 = 35.79 20000 = 286.32

3000 = 42.95 25000 = 357.90

4000 = 57.26 30000 = 429.48

For Lost or Stolen Cards: call 001-800-11-535-0660

Return to Exchange Rate Page

This seems to be the onshore rate to me....

I hope to get a way of getting the mastercard/cirrus rate soon...

FYI My avatar is my arch nemesis; representative ? <deleted>

I believe that with a debit card (immediate debit to your UK account) you get the onshore rate, i.e. the rate used by the Thai bank operating the ATM or handling the seller’s account, and that with the credit card (monthly debit to your UK account for all transactions during the month) you get the offshore rate, i.e. the rate used by the credit card issuer.

With services like Cirrus, Maestro, CASH the rate depends on the type of card – debit card or credit card – the logo is printed on.

--

Maestro

If people post the following info then it will be possible to determine whether onshore or offshore rates given...

* Date of transaction

* Exchange rate (if this isnt specifically stated then it is possible to do the math given thb amount and the deduction from your account)

* Type of transaction - ie ATM withdrawl, face-to-face purchase(customer present), on-line purchase, cash advance(only applies to credit card)

* Card used - ie Nationwide Cirrus (Red) cash card, Nationwide Visa (Blue) Debit card or Nationwide Visa (Various colors) credit card

If anyone is using the Post Office Mastercard in Thailand, would appreciate the above too...

I unfortunately have an ordinary Nationwide Cash Card (red), not the visa debit card, and have been getting the offshore rate for all ATM withdrawals since the 26th of January. The good news is that as of yesterday it has reverted back to the onshore rates. I got the favourable rate of 69.51 Baht to the GB Pound yesterday. This is using the Cirrus/Mastercard network.

If people post the following info then it will be possible to determine whether onshore or offshore rates given...

* Date of transaction

* Exchange rate (if this isnt specifically stated then it is possible to do the math given thb amount and the deduction from your account)

* Type of transaction - ie ATM withdrawl, face-to-face purchase(customer present), on-line purchase, cash advance(only applies to credit card)

* Card used - ie Nationwide Cirrus (Red) cash card, Nationwide Visa (Blue) Debit card or Nationwide Visa (Various colors) credit card

If anyone is using the Post Office Mastercard in Thailand, would appreciate the above too...

Dear K.Bob,

Sorry I did not reply to your query sooner but in the last few days the BOT has been letting the onshore baht strengthen ...the dollar peg has risen from 36 to 35.40 ..and I was a little concerned that with the resignation of Tevakun the BOT governor who had expressed his main aim to be protection of the Thai export sector , thus possibly the promotor of the dollar peg, it was possible that this morning the BOT would have dropped the onshore rate. However they have not done so......yet !

I am delighted to provide the info requested if it will help you and other Thai visa readers as my aim has always been to assist others and provide truthful and accurate info . Its astonishing that some people dont appreciate that but that's life ......................as Esther Rantzen used to say years ago when I lived in the UK.

Rates achieved using N/W Debit Card

24 /25 Feb Five test withdrawals Rate 69.881 on all these over the week end.

26 February Six test withdrawals rates 69.883 and 69.881

28 February Seven tst withdrals durind day/evening rates 69.63 and 69.67. Its worth noting that Super Rich was offering 69.25 on 28 Feb for 50 pound notes.

I do hope this is of help.

Sincerely,

Topfield

Thanks - 2 excellent replies

markhuahin - if the cirrus network are offering onshore rates now that is a tremendous development - could any other nationwide cash card (red) holders confirm this - use the info I have requested in post #19 to reply

topfield - as always good info and extra info too - the silent majority appreciate what you do - but a small minority find an insane pleasure in unjustifiable criticism or mockery

As an aside - seems the offshore rate is improving too !

markhuahin - if the cirrus network are offering onshore rates now that is a tremendous development - could any other nationwide cash card (red) holders confirm this - use the info I have requested in post #19 to reply

topfield - as always good info and extra info too - the silent majority appreciate what you do - but a small minority find an insane pleasure in unjustifiable criticism or mockery

Hi Khun Bob,

Herewith report at 5pm today.

Tested both N/W cash card and debit cardS. Deduction rate same on both 69.20 !

Other rates : dollar premium down. Yesterday 35.50 ..today 35.35 ie half percent less premium.

Rate it should be by multiplying current dollar pound rate by pegged onshore rate EXACTLY 69

Super rich rate : 68.80 ...so they are making just 20 satang.

Summary : Our onshore premium going down each day . N/W rates excellent IF deduction rate same as the final definitive rate in around 24 hours when it will appear on online banking.

Hi Khun Bob,

Herewith report at 5pm today.

Tested both N/W cash card and debit cardS. Deduction rate same on both 69.20 !

Other rates : dollar premium down. Yesterday 35.50 ..today 35.35 ie half percent less premium.

Rate it should be by multiplying current dollar pound rate by pegged onshore rate EXACTLY 69

Super rich rate : 68.80 ...so they are making just 20 satang.

Summary : Our onshore premium going down each day . N/W rates excellent IF deduction rate same as the final definitive rate in around 24 hours when it will appear on online banking.

Final rate has now appeared for both cards 69.20 .

ps Did you notice how the pound dropped heavily on Friday ! Terrible news.