"Jomtien Supertown Walking Street" -- they built it, will you come?

Jingthing

9 minutes ago, petermik said:

As i am wired right why in heavens name would I want to eat Ethiopian food.....:whistling:

And I do  still on occasions call at the Fantasy/Two Donnas bars...the rest of the "attractions" do not deter me, quite the opposite in fact I find much hilarity at the attempts thereof to attract customers........:clap2:

I wish you every success in trying to drum up interest in a place which largely caters to a small (fortunately) minority of the human race..... :thumbsup:

I'm not drumming up anything. Just making objective observations about a district that appears to be on the verge of a possible blooming. The part about the rebranding and the large signs showing that rebranding is actually NEWS.

You can't hide your disdain for gay people and that's fine. Says lots about you and nothing about gay people. 

Just for fun … I'm wondering have you even tried Ethiopian food? I can understand not liking it if you've tried it but otherwise that would just be closed minded. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just for fun … I'm wondering have you even tried Ethiopian food? I can understand not liking it if you've tried it but otherwise that would just be closed minded. 

Just for fun also.........have you ever seen a healthy looking Ethiopian :whistling:

Might I recommend a "mucky fat butty" to you...puts hairs on mens chests and tastes as good as it sounds :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, petermik said:

Just for fun also.........have you ever seen a healthy looking Ethiopian :whistling:

Might I recommend a "mucky fat butty" to you...puts hairs on mens chests and tastes as good as it sounds :thumbsup:

Sure. Plenty. You're full of toxic stereotypes, innit.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2019 at 3:01 AM, chaihot said:

And it is possible that this and other factors might change it.  There is a club (in the complex) that performs drag shows nightly (entertainment staff of 27+).  Over 50% of the clientele are Male/Female couples.  IMO, Jomtien has an over-abundance of visiting non-gay adults looking for something "naughty" that is "close" to the area they are staying.

Look at the response to the night market and the number of families going there for food and something to do.  It will be interesting to see if the complex can find a way to attract these visitors who are spending money.

I saw awhile back that The Venue was for sale for some outrageous price. I think it was more than one million pounds. That's the only draw on that street I can see being a mixed venue. It also wasn't really all that busy on the nights I watched the shows. The shows were actually better than some I have seen but there just weren't that many customers considering how many staff they had.

Otherwise there are a handful of bars on either side that are small gay host bars with Cambodian guys. I have stayed in the area and felt a bit uncomfortable although I am gay. I can't imagine that straight people would feel more at ease than I do. 

I just can't imagine what the place offers that can't be found elsewhere? There are some small shops between the bars that sell pretty much junk. Unless you are gay I can't imagine anybody going to the complex more than once. The exception is people cutting through from condos on their way to and from the beach.

There is some sort of rock and roll bar (or was last time I went there) on the Thappraya side that has excessively loud music. It always looked empty and has done the neighborhood the favor of making hotels like The Poseidon have a lot of vacancies.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Jingthing said:

More like wired right wing. 

Let me ask you, if there was a business in there that had something you really wanted and there was no other option for that in town, would you visit?

For example if you loved Ethiopian food and there was an Ethiopian restaurant there. 

The right answer is yes. The "normal" answer is yes. The right wing/homophobic answer is no. 

Quite wrong actually.  My perfectly straight non-homophobic father visited Thailand a few years back and couldn't get through walking street quickly enough.  Some people are just uncomfortable in areas where sexual services and so openly promoted whether they be straight or gay.  Neither I nor my father would be happy entering this newly promoted zone no matter how good a particular restaurant inside was.  

Having said that, whilst my father would clearly be uncomfortable in both areas, I have no problem visiting establishments in walking street so perhaps I am homophobic.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Again. This is not only about one street but instead an entire area comprising multiple streets. Also again there is no place called Boystown in Pattaya.  

So you aren't curious about visiting perhaps the best French bakery in Thailand? Do you think the baguettes there are gay and will try to do something naughty?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Mate you seem to be very excited about this "new sign". It sounds to me like that is all that has changed.

Oh... and the bakery. What connection do you have with the bakery

• Thanks 1

Quite wrong actually.  My perfectly straight non-homophobic father visited Thailand a few years back and couldn't get through walking street quickly enough.  Some people are just uncomfortable in areas where sexual services and so openly promoted whether they be straight or gay.  Neither I nor my father would be happy entering this newly promoted zone no matter how good a particular restaurant inside was.  

Having said that, whilst my father would clearly be uncomfortable in both areas, I have no problem visiting establishments in walking street so perhaps I am homophobic.
That's absurd. Visiting establishments in Walking Street has nothing to do with being homophobic.

That's absurd. Visiting establishments in Walking Street has nothing to do with being homophobic.

No but does the fact that I would visit an establishment in Walking Street but not one in Supertown make me a homophobe as that was the point I was making.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Seriously JingThing, when its the last time you've been to Jomtien Complex? Just this month?

That Super Walking Street sign has been there for at least 1.5-2 years, odd you just noticed but okay.

Mostly gay bars, how about ONLY gay bars. Oh yes, you are right, the one next to 2Donna is still a beer bar for non-gays the last time I checked.

You know what happened when they hung up that sign?

Edited by Rimmer

1 minute ago, dennis123 said:

Seriously JingThing, when its the last time you've been to Jomtien Complex? Just this month?

That Super Walking Street sign has been there for at least 1.5-2 years, odd you just noticed but okay.

You are incorrect and there are actually two signs at two entrances. There is indeed recent signage. 

On 1/10/2019 at 2:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Well, the area does seem to cater heavily to foreigners, tourists and expats, and it's my impression that lesbian tourism isn't a big thing here, so the Tomboy bars that exist are not commercial and generally for Thai people. Ladyboy bars probably not there already because those are mostly for straight identified men as the place has been largely focused on nightlife for gay men. But yeah, that's not a bad idea at all to bring in more straight identified men. 

There used to be a ladyboy bar in the other soi that runs parallel on the busy one, it was always empty indeed.

I read a few times that you said it's a large area, with multiple streets, well not really it's just 2 sois running parallel to each other and at the end a side street, and a short right/left one and that's it.

The quiet/dead soi has hotels, blind massage, one or two other gay massage, and one or two gay bars, then around the corner to take the exit towards Jomtien beach again a few gay bars, a gay massage, and a restaurant or two.

The main soi ONLY gay bars, some useless shops, few restaurants and gay guest houses on top of the bars, as well as gay restaurants, I never see male/female couples eating there, except for the one near Poseidon perhaps at the start of the entrance.

See how often I use the word gay? That's because it's a 99.9% gay area so the responses you received are quite valid ???? impossible to rebrand this area to non-gay.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You are incorrect and there are actually two signs at two entrances. There is indeed recent signage. 

No, I am not incorrect that sign has been there for as long as I said, at the very least 1.5 years, but more likely 2.5 years already.

Maybe you should open your eyes a little bit more. Any other gay that visits that area can confirm.

And yeah at both entrances, still remember when I saw it the first time which is a loooong time ago as I don't go often to Jomtien Complex anymore. Used to go twice a week. In the beginning always mentioned how ridiculous it was.

Edited by dennis123

Because you are stubborn as always:

PATTAYA, THAILAND - DECEMBER 30, 2017: Sign at the entrance of the "Super Town Jomtien Walking Street", also known as "The Gay Town", for the many gay bars in the area

That's just when they reported it, a little over a year ago, added image to Shutterstock: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/pattaya-thailand-december-30-2017-sign-1044075523

Facebook post from 2016, whoops that's TWO years already.

Thanks for noticing so quickly ????

Edited by dennis123

One last comment, why are you so anti-gay?

Trying to turn a 100% gay area into a non-gay/mixed area. Did you invest in one of the businesses, like takeover one of the failing bars for 100k baht or something like I did six years ago? My biggest mistake EVER lol.

It was only 1 year ago that the Belgium guy, that ran the 3BB gay bar, wanted to get rid of his lease contract for 150k-200k baht, he offered it to me when I saw him at Bamboo bar.

Usually, It only looks busy because there are so many boys working there, and yes now, at the start of January, in peak season it's obviously crowded with foreigners, no surprise. Check back again after a few weeks/maybe months, and did you see how dead it was from 12-16 April?

Literally, a ghost town because all the boys went home for Songkran. Take the boys away and nothing is left. Sunnee is really dying, I suppose most moved over to Jomtien. Altogether it does appear that sex tourism is slowing down so maybe your dreams come true one day.

1 hour ago, dennis123 said:

There used to be a ladyboy bar in the other soi that runs parallel on the busy one, it was always empty indeed.

I read a few times that you said it's a large area, with multiple streets, well not really it's just 2 sois running parallel to each other and at the end a side street, and a short right/left one and that's it.

The quiet/dead soi has hotels, blind massage, one or two other gay massage, and one or two gay bars, then around the corner to take the exit towards Jomtien beach again a few gay bars, a gay massage, and a restaurant or two.

The main soi ONLY gay bars, some useless shops, few restaurants and gay guest houses on top of the bars, as well as gay restaurants, I never see male/female couples eating there, except for the one near Poseidon perhaps at the start of the entrance.

See how often I use the word gay? That's because it's a 99.9% gay area so the responses you received are quite valid ???? impossible to rebrand this area to non-gay.

You totally misunderstood me. I never advocated rebranding as non-gay. Not sure how you got such a daft idea. I do think the area is open to all and certain businesses like RESTAURANTS and particularly the AMAZING French bakery are already getting and continue to deserve custom from not only gay people.

I agree of course the vast majority of the nightlife venues are gay. Duh! Never said differently. 

I consider the large Chinese restaurant at the main entrance to indeed be a part of Jomtien Supertown. It is decidedly NOT a gay scene restaurant but of course not anti-gay either. 

I am not anti-gay or anti-straight, in Jomtien Super Town or anywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

37 minutes ago, dennis123 said:

One last comment, why are you so anti-gay?

Trying to turn a 100% gay area into a non-gay/mixed area. Did you invest in one of the businesses, like takeover one of the failing bars for 100k baht or something like I did six years ago? My biggest mistake EVER lol.

It was only 1 year ago that the Belgium guy, that ran the 3BB gay bar, wanted to get rid of his lease contract for 150k-200k baht, he offered it to me when I saw him at Bamboo bar.

Usually, It only looks busy because there are so many boys working there, and yes now, at the start of January, in peak season it's obviously crowded with foreigners, no surprise. Check back again after a few weeks/maybe months, and did you see how dead it was from 12-16 April?

Literally, a ghost town because all the boys went home for Songkran. Take the boys away and nothing is left. Sunnee is really dying, I suppose most moved over to Jomtien. Altogether it does appear that sex tourism is slowing down so maybe your dreams come true one day.

I am certainly not anti-gay. 

I have no business investment in Thailand or anywhere.

It may be true I don't see the need for 100 percent gay ghettos anywhere.

Been there, done that. 

I have no "dream" for a non-gay Jomtien Super Town. 

I do predict we will see some changes there, like anywhere, and I hope they're positive changes, but I can't really predict anything specific except probably things will get more Chinese. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Like I said, there is newer signage and it's a lot more flashy as well. 

OP said new rebranding, just pointed out this rebranding started two years ago, so now it's just same words, better sign.

I think it's good that they create those gay ghettos, in Phnom Phen you have to walk 400-500 meter or more before you find the next gay bar, so why not put it all together, very convenient. Also good for straight people, knowing which places to avoid. Even in Amsterdam most of the gay bars are concentrated in one area.

7 minutes ago, dennis123 said:

OP said new rebranding, just pointed out this rebranding started two years ago, so now it's just same words, better sign.

I think it's good that they create those gay ghettos, in Phnom Phen you have to walk 400-500 meter or more before you find the next gay bar, so why not put it all together, very convenient. Also good for straight people, knowing which places to avoid. Even in Amsterdam most of the gay bars are concentrated in one area.

I said I don't like 100 percent gay ghettoes. I never said I'm against gay areas. Duh. When there are gay areas with attractive businesses such as restaurants/shops/cultural things, I want all to feel welcome. I agree homophobes will always avoid such districts and that's a good thing. I would like to see more and better restaurants in that district and if they develop and they're good, they will and should attract a diverse crowd, in this case, diverse meaning non-gay. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, HLover said:

Not sure the large welcoming Chinese sign can accomplish this.

It's adds an element of ambiguity as to possibly more diversity going within to new people, that actually doesn't much exist within. I noticed a group of probably straight Chinese young women venture inside and yes, they weren't in there long. 

I have just got back from buying bread from the French bakery thanks to this thread,got there at 08:15 just as they were putting out the bread hot from the oven super.There were a few tables with some guys having breakfast with not a twink to be seen so there's the solution to any guys who are scared to be seen in a gay area get there early.

• Like 1