Non O visa and retirement extension

If I got a single entry non O visa based on having a Thai child, can I apply for a one year retirement extension while using this visa?

Or do I have to get a new non O visa which, as far as I know, will look exactly the same?

If I have to get a new visa, what do I need to show in Savannakhet Thai Consulate in order to get a non O visa based on retirement...besides my passport and bank book with at least 800,000 baht?

Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

If I have to get a new visa, what do I need to show in Savannakhet Thai Consulate in order to get a non O visa based on retirement...besides my passport and bank book with at least 800,000 baht?

You won't get a Non Imm O based on retirement at Savannakhet, but you may get one based on a Thai child.

You'll need the birth certificate, not sure if the child has to attend.

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You won't get a Non Imm O based on retirement at Savannakhet, but ..

Many get Single-Entry Non-O Visas based on retirement at Savannakhet.  He doesn't need one (already in-country on a Non-Imm based entry-stamp) - but if he did, he would need a letter from his embassy confirming he is retired, in addition to his 800K bank-statement.  One can also qualify using the income-method or combo-method on the finances. 

Getting a Non-O based on retirement at that consulate (or Penang) is a workaround many w/o Thai family use, when their local immigration office won't do a Non-O Stamp (unless via agent for 15K to 20K Baht).  Vientiane will also do them, but want health and police docs, in addition to the rest.

Edited by JackThompson

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can use the non-o visa entry you have to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Is that is all done domestically at the immigration office when applying for the yearly extension of stay? Just a change of category no travel outside needed? Curious to know for my own understanding.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Many get Single-Entry Non-O Visas based on retirement at Savannakhet.  He doesn't need one (already in-country on a Non-Imm based entry-stamp) - but if he did, he would need a letter from his embassy confirming he is retired, in addition to his 800K bank-statement.  One can also qualify using the income-method or combo-method on the finances. 

Many thanks for that update Jack.

I know a couple who were refused, stated not possible, but appears their documents were obviously not in order.

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Is that is all done domestically at the immigration office when applying for the yearly extension of stay? Just a change of category no travel outside needed? Curious to know for my own understanding.

If you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa, you can apply for an extension (local Immigration office) within the last 30 days of the 90 day entry provided you can meet the financial requirements.

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa, you can apply for an extension (local Immigration office) within the last 30 days of the 90 day entry provided you can meet the financial requirements.

Just trying to keep up on the info. Too many things slip through the cracks if they had changed through the years and best to be knowledgeable up-to-date. I will continue to stay on my Family OA until the cows come home.