Boy this Thai Visa help section use to be a lively place a few years ago..

Boy this Thai Visa help section use to be a lively place a few years ago..

It looks like most of the post now are mostly about retirement extensions and marriage extensions....

Its looking to me like many many under 50s may have said screw it and thrown in the towel....If your under 50 you can only milk the tourist and Ed visas for X number of years before your done...Its sure as hell is no picnick having to renew  tourist visas in a number of different countries every 3 months......

I dont really have any big point to make....But the the Thai Visa universe sure seems to me to be shrinking....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine

Where have you been, it's all right we know where you've been

You've been in the pipeline filling in time

Provided with toys and visas for boys

You bought a visa to punish your ma

And you didn't like school you know you're nobody's fool

So welcome to the machine.

Meant to add as an edit last night.

Anyone who doesn't realise the original words are from Pink Flloyd must be living under a rock. ????????

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Yes -- things were much more fun when a typical post was (my all-time favorite):

I don't qualify for any long-term stay option in Thailand so how can I stay long-term in Thailand?

I remember  2003 i had 45  tour leaders (non thai) on tourist visas/extensions working for me, passports sent to hull for visas, jack golf doing visa runs

My how things have changed

• Haha 2

Having been here 5-6 years and still being under 30 it is pretty much getting too much hassle. If it wouldn't be for having a son now (which basically gives me a visa until retirement age), I would have left Thailand for Vietnam or elsewhere already. 

Have to conclude that the EX rates are bad, prices locally inflated a lot, girls are asking much more in the (in)famous nightlife and all the raids and visa crap + costs. 

Also rarely see people that are left from the moment I came here as a new expat generation / online worker. Mostly new people or the ones that are here for around 2 years now and then eventually go home or elsewhere again.

Doesn't always got everything to do with a visa though, most of them simply can't sustain and grow their business here.
Last but not least, the new generation often just goes to a visa agent and doesn't bother being on an old school forum.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 2

Everyone i know here that is under 50 yo either has a work permit plus visa and earns his money in thailand or earns it ouside and just bought an elite visa.

There's just not much to write about here, so why would they post?

Everything about these visas has been discussed to death and they just work fine so not much discussion is needed.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, balo said:

Where will you be going ? Cambodia ? 

I'm looking for somewhere with a good balance of first and third world conveniences.  Thailand has nailed it.  Easy to find a short or long term rentals.  Food.  Grocery stores.  Malls.  Sky trains.  Stuff like that.  And of course, a more welcoming Visa system.

More developed countries like Taiwan, you'll end up paying more to get less.  And less developed countries, like Cambodia, might have any or enough things like grocery stores or fairly priced accommodation that isn't old and gross.

So now I'm looking at HCMC Vietnam or Philippines.  Less developed, and not as many conveniences, but I think it might be okay for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Everyone i know here that is under 50 yo either has a work permit plus visa and earns his money in thailand or earns it ouside and just bought an elite visa.

There's just not much to write about here, so why would they post?

Everything about these visas has been discussed to death and they just work fine so not much discussion is needed.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

We are on the third page of replies now, clearly people are interested in talking about this, so give it a break already.  Why almost every single thread on this site has to have grumpy people nit picking and complaining.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, asdfrules said:

So now I'm looking at HCMC Vietnam or Philippines.  Less developed, and not as many conveniences, but I think it might be okay for me.

Can't speak to HCMC, but I would try Cebu (warmer, like here) or Bagio (cooler but rainy) for the PI.  Both have malls, decent housing and such - and generally safe. 

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Can't speak to HCMC, but I would try Cebu (warmer, like here) or Bagio (cooler but rainy) for the PI.  Both have malls, decent housing and such - and generally safe. 

Good advice I think.  I looked at both Cebu and Bagio while I was staying in Manila for a few months.  Ended up being to lazy to relocate for the short time I had.  But deff would consider either city for a longer stay.

15 hours ago, asdfrules said:

I've also noticed this change here over the past few years.  It seems less friendly to me as well, as shown by the first response above.  Like it's a crime to start a conversation on a forum.  It feels like any time I ask for help, there is at least one or two comments telling me to go home and stop abusing the system.  Either get old, get married or go home.  And even if you do get married or retire, it seems like the visa situation is still a struggle.

But of course, there are some very kind and helpful regulars here too, and I'm very thankful for them.  Ubon Joe and JackThompson (above) come to mind.

I'm one of those under 50 guys who has spent a lot of time in Thailand.  I've learned the language and culture and have come to really love this place as a second home.  But unfortunately, I'm not welcome here anymore and will be moving on soon.

If you are under 50 and single I do not see the problem, up to six months here and six split between Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam. (or wherever).

This aint the only place in the world.

• Like 1