Video: "Oh Brother" - "hia" truck driver nearly wipes out entire family

webfact

Video: "Oh Brother" - "hia" truck driver nearly wipes out entire family

9pm_VI.jpg

Dash cam footage posted on the popular fan page "Hia" on Facebook showed a truck turn into the lane of a woman and her family. 

She just manages to avoid a serious accident as those in the car scream and then offer expletives about the truck driver. 

Thai Rath said that the footage was filmed on December 23rd and that comment from netizens praised the driver of the car and slammed the driver of the truck. 

Thaivisa notes that the "Hia" page - that features many road accidents and near misses - spells the word without the tone mark that means "elder brother" especially someone of Chinese descent. It is often used to indicate a wealthy company owner. 

The comments of the male occupant in the car are "hia" with a tone mark that indicates the word "water monitor" a foul swear word for his opinion of the driver of the truck. 

The "Hia" site is a play on words appropriate for some of the appalling driving shown on Thai roads. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-22

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

She just manages to avoid a serious accident as those in the car scream and then offer expletives about the truck driver.

Offering expletives is a common experience when I'm in cars with friends driving.

I even take part and I don't drive.

The god who receives such offerings must be mightily powerful, indeed.

From what I can see, the truck was making a wide turn (not unusual for trucks or buses), but it's pretty obvious to see, so why didn't the car driver slow down when seeing this? Looks like typical bad driving alright, like typical Thai me first mentality, and squeeze threw at mach 1 speed.

Ha ha ha  one of the women at the end says   " its good ehh  I just "wia-ed" a priest "

I suppose she made merit and thus accident averted thank the Buhdda !!!!.

(or maybe beeped at one of the roadside spirit house as she drove past )

19 minutes ago, pieeyed said:

I swear constantly when driving here in Thailand. It helps me keep my road rage in check. Not good for the kids to tell your weekend story in school on Monday.

Know what you mean. My kids have learnt a few words they shouldn't, verbal road rage.

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

From what I can see, the truck was making a wide turn (not unusual for trucks or buses), but it's pretty obvious to see, so why didn't the car driver slow down when seeing this? Looks like typical bad driving alright, like typical Thai me first mentality, and squeeze threw at mach 1 speed.

No, the question is, why didn't the stupid truck driver wait until the car had passed to make his wide turn. Yes, a case of me first, but on the part of the truck driver. The car was driving in its own lane and therefore had the right of way.

I find it odd that some here are pointing the finger at the dash cam ride....????

Yesterday I was on a dual carriageway, it had a median, I was in the fast lane, a truck with a trailer pulled out from my left and drove towards me in my fast lane, I braked, moved to the left lane, hand on the hooter....

It seems a median U turn point was a few yards up his wrong side of the road for the dip stick in the truck.....Yes, buffaloes do drive trucks...????

2 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

No, the question is, why didn't the stupid truck driver wait until the car had passed to make his wide turn. Yes, a case of me first, but on the part of the truck driver. The car was driving in its own lane and therefore had the right of way.

The truck driver was already WAY out in the road before the car ever got there, and you can see the car speed up and head for the shoulder, so no....not buying that, but try again.

14 minutes ago, ocddave said:

The truck driver was already WAY out in the road before the car ever got there, and you can see the car speed up and head for the shoulder, so no....not buying that, but try again.

Watch the video again. I don't see the car speeding up, but I do see a truck that's difficult to see from the side because it's at night, pull out in front of oncoming traffic because he couldn't wait 40 seconds for the dash-cam car to pass by.

21 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Don't blame the truck driver, blame the lack of street lights.. the Thai way ????

I partially agree with you. However, in viewing the video, you can see that it was the truck that was hard to see due to a lack of proper lighting, since it was viewed from the side with no headlights or tail-lights. The truck though, should have seen the headlights of the oncoming traffic (including the car with the dash-cam) and waited until he could perform his maneuver without heading into oncoming traffic.

48 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Watch the video again. I don't see the car speeding up, but I do see a truck that's difficult to see from the side because it's at night, pull out in front of oncoming traffic because he couldn't wait 40 seconds for the dash-cam car to pass by.

Yes, please watch the video again! The truck is already out across the other lane, making a wide turn like trucks and buses do, most people in Western countries know this maneuver and slow down knowing a large vehicle needs room to make that swing. But hey, like they say, when in Rome (Thailand), act like the other nitwits on the road. And I am watching the video and can clearly see what the driver is seeing, so saying its not quite visible to the driver is BS! Watch the right gauge on his cluster, its either boost, or RMP, but clearly goes up (not down) when he approaches the truck, he knew the truck was there and then pushed his luck trying to squeeze the gap.

30 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Yes, please watch the video again! The truck is already out across the other lane, making a wide turn like trucks and buses do, most people in Western countries know this maneuver and slow down knowing a large vehicle needs room to make that swing. But hey, like they say, when in Rome (Thailand), act like the other nitwits on the road. And I am watching the video and can clearly see what the driver is seeing, so saying its not quite visible to the driver is BS! Watch the right gauge on his cluster, its either boost, or RMP, but clearly goes up (not down) when he approaches the truck, he knew the truck was there and then pushed his luck trying to squeeze the gap.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. It was simple for the truck to hesitate a few seconds to let the car pass, in its own, legal lane I might add. Most courteous, drivers would have waited before imposing their vehicles into oncoming traffic, as the truck driver did. For the car, the truck appears out of the dark, and his only fault was not expecting the truck to force his way into his lane.

My point is, he shouldn't have had to try to "squeeze the gap" in his own lane. The truck should have had more patience than a two-year old and waited before sticking his truck into oncoming traffic. But then, TIT as they say.

Oh and with regards to this "maneuver" as you call it. I know of no western countries where swinging into oncoming traffic without the assistance of traffic control is standard. I know that had a provincial patrolman in Canada or a highway patrolman in any state of US seen this, they would have ticketed the truck driver immediately. From my limited experience of driving in the Alps of Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, and Italy I never saw the many large tour buses drive over the center lane divider, even on tight, mountain, hairpin turns.

18 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. It was simple for the truck to hesitate a few seconds to let the car pass, in its own, legal lane I might add. Most courteous, drivers would have waited before imposing their vehicles into oncoming traffic, as the truck driver did. For the car, the truck appears out of the dark, and his only fault was not expecting the truck to force his way into his lane.

My point is, he shouldn't have had to try to "squeeze the gap" in his own lane. The truck should have had more patience than a two-year old and waited before sticking his truck into oncoming traffic. But then, TIT as they say.

Oh and with regards to this "maneuver" as you call it. I know of no western countries where swinging into oncoming traffic without the assistance of traffic control is standard. I know that had a provincial patrolman in Canada or a highway patrolman in any state of US seen this, they would have ticketed the truck driver immediately. From my limited experience of driving in the Alps of Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, and Italy I never saw the many large tour buses drive over the center lane divider, even on tight, mountain, hairpin turns.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree then. The truck driver was clearly swinging out LONG BEFORE THE CAR EVEN GOT TO THAT POINT, and when no traffic was around, notice there are no cars for quite a distance in front of that car, who knows what was behind the car. "Patience"? Yes, the car driver should have shown some, rather than speed up and fly into the shoulder to do the typical Thai Kamikaze flyby. As far as Canada Highway patrol or police in the US, thats your opinion, not fact.

I find the Thai language is somewhat lacking in expletives, take f.e.x my native language Finnish, a good PERRRRKKEELLEE has much more feeling in it than a weak "ai hia". They should definitely work on that, daily exercises outside the Government House in BKK for testing the new ones would be most excellent. 

Archived