Buying new Toyota Camry

moogradod

We have now finally settled near Pattaya and we will need to buy a car. We want a new Toyota Camry Premium. But where to buy it getting good conditions and expertise concerning insurance that goes with it ?

We would like to obtain as well non standard wheel rims and have a (respo. two) dash cam (blackvue 900) installed professionally. Payment is in cash, delivery should be swift. A big showroom would be an asset for we have not finally decided on the color and this cannot be made using a catalogue. We have rented a car so can visit some places in the vicinity quickly.

But where to go ? We would not mind to go even to Bangkok, but we do not want to waste a lenghty trip for nothing, therefore some recommendations would be appreciated very much. Could then check in a hotel and shop around a day or two.

Thank you for any hints.

10 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Is it here yet.?., it looks nicer in the pics

I have not seen one in the streets yet, but we arrived only yesterday. It should be out since November 29, 2018. The Camry is the only alternative below 2 Mio THB since the all new TEANA is not offered here although I would probably not like the "Tiger Eye" Design in the interior of the Camry, but have to see it in real life. The new Mazda 3 Sedan is nice, but only available late this year and smaller than the Camry.

At the Dealer in Banglamung (Thaiyont) there was one in Black in the Showroom about a month ago.

Had a look at it when I brought my new Fortuner for the break-in service (1000km).

It's a nice car and i would prefer it over every Fortuner, but the missus want to have the fortuner and they always get what they want ????

I think the new Dealer in Na Jomtien (Sukhumvit south of Pattaya) will also have one because they have a much bigger and nicer Showroom.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Far be it for me to tell you what to buy ...

But I am always amazed at seeing these Camry on the road.

They are more $$$ than a Fortuner TRD Sportivo 4WD AT

31K more

No,They start a 1350ish and dont have the Stigma of a Tuna Yob. Most unfair as only a few Bully other road users.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

31K more

Interesting example how individual perception and preferences may difffer. I would never buy a Fortuner which is bulky from the outside but small inside. And have you ever evaluated the specs of the Camry ? It offers head-up display, ventilated front seats, many security relevant systems, moonroof, memory seats (really convenient if your wife is maybe a bit smaller than yourself), a decent sound system etc. etc. etc. And then: who owns a farm here ? Despite Pattaya being some sort of jungle it does not justify a fully blown offroader. And then I am 63 years old. Like to smoothly glide in a limousine at lower speed but without much noise .. thats where the hybrid comes in....having said that all I am always amazed how someone can spend so much money on a tank like a Fortuner if he could have a smooth ride in a limousine ☺️ Of course a Benz is even better but it is hard to justify the amount for it here in Thailand. Just came back from Zurich where the S350 Bluetec is widely used as a taxi. Had a ride in one recently - well - this is one extremely nice car but for my wife and myself a Camry must do. And we will be happy I think.

1 hour ago, MoD1977 said:

I think the new Dealer in Na Jomtien (Sukhumvit south of Pattaya) will also have one because they have a much bigger and nicer Showroom.

We live quite nearby. Last year this dealer was not around yet. Will have a look at his showroom, Burning Black is one of the options, hard to judge from pictures if you do not see it just before you.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

31K more

For me I am also amazed to see people driving ridiculous fortuners that are as fast as a turtle and that only a farmer would want (I was thinking ?).

2 minutes ago, NaDu said:

Sorry but are you sure ? this car is so ugly and Benz are so cheap now, I don't understand why anybody would buy a Camry.

If you have a good offer (new for nearly 2 MTHB, well I would pay 3 M actually) for a S350 Bluetec I would be happy to buy that one. And you are right: The Camry is not the most beautiful one - but again: What is the alternative ? This last question is meant sincere (opposed to many of my other comments).

Choices are really limited here concerning limousines. And I definitely do not want a Tank. I have rented a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport once.

14 hours ago, NaDu said:

For me I am also amazed to see people driving ridiculous fortuners that are as fast as a turtle and that only a farmer would want (I was thinking ?).

Well stop thinking drive a new 2.8 Tuna you might be surprised how rapid they are. Have just completed a 1,000km run 5 up with all the luggage. No loss of power and returned 6.1 lt for 100km not bad for a tank. 

N/B you might get 5 peeps in a saloon but you certainly wouldn't get all the luggage as well. Horses for Courses.

15 hours ago, NaDu said:

I guess you have never driven in Bangkok in the wet season...

15 hours ago, moogradod said:

If you have a good offer (new for nearly 2 MTHB, well I would pay 3 M actually) for a S350 Bluetec I would be happy to buy that one. And you are right: The Camry is not the most beautiful one - but again: What is the alternative ? This last question is meant sincere (opposed to many of my other comments).

Choices are really limited here concerning limousines. And I definitely do not want a Tank. I have rented a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport once.

Honda accord coming in the next couple of months; arguably better than the camry based on overseas reports. Quite ugly as well. If you don't care about the initial price, resale or maintenance costs, buy a benz. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Honda accord coming in the next couple of months; arguably better than the camry based on overseas reports. Quite ugly as well. If you don't care about the initial price, resale or maintenance costs, buy a benz. 

"If you don't care about the initial price, resale or maintenance costs, buy a benz". 

You forgot to include (lack of) reliability!

If you live in Pattaya, I'd recommend buying the Camry in Pattaya.  You'll want the after-purchase service and it would make no sense to drive all the way to BKK each time.  Regarding insurance, pretty much all dealerships provide free Class 1 insurance for 1 year with the purchase. 

OP - second sentence - wants Premium version

That is what I used in comparison.

Still think it is too much for too little. 1 2 Car shows about 500k depreciation after 14,000 km in one year. 30%.

But - buy what you want. As I get older I am not getting any smarter. Verdict - the world is getting dumber.

Just now, canthai55 said:

OP - second sentence - wants Premium version

That is what I used in comparison.

Still think it is too much for too little. 1 2 Car shows about 500k depreciation after 14,000 km in one year. 30%.

But - buy what you want. As I get older I am not getting any smarter. Verdict - the world is getting dumber.

Glad you owned up....????

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

If you live in Pattaya, I'd recommend buying the Camry in Pattaya.  You'll want the after-purchase service and it would make no sense to drive all the way to BKK each time.  Regarding insurance, pretty much all dealerships provide free Class 1 insurance for 1 year with the purchase. 

Today we went to the new Toyota dealer on Sukhumvit about the hight of Soi 4 Najomtien. They have a Camry Hybrid in Burning Black ready for a test drive. As a standard they do not offer any insurance (no discount either "because this a new model". But the saleswomen there would talk to the manager to see if I could get the insurance worth THB 28'000.-- as part of the package - since we pay cash...

But there is a catch: Not every color can be ordered with a black (leather ?) interior. Burning black comes only as a combination with beige material (I am not really sure if it is leather). This beige material will soon become dirty I suppose. Will have to investigate if it then may be cleaned easily. If it is genuine leather I suppose that would be more difficult.

Next downside: My wifes legs are a bit short to reach well to the brake and the gas even if the steering wheel is just near her chest. We forgot to ask if the Steering Wheel could be pushed "in" a bit. It does adjust automatically up or down according to the stored seating position. We will further investigate this point.

And more: They have only one single model in Burning Black, the Grey Metallic which we would possibly choose (which comes again only in combination with the beige seats) may not be investigated in real life. To decide one has to see it on the car, not only in a catalogue.

Delivery times are around 2 months, which is surprisingly short. The hybrid batteries are guaranteed for 10 years. After that a replacement is only about THB 68'000.-- which is surprisingly low.

Optional tyre rims may be ordered, but they are very expensive. The nice one you always see on presentation (in comparison with the standard) would amount to additional THB 100'000.--. The sales woman said that the rims may come in 17" (the ones you always see on display are 18" - obcviously nicer but not very apt for the Thai roads.

We will have to look at the Mazda 3 Sedan 2019 - which might fit my wifes dimensions better - after all this is supposed to be her car.

I forgot to add: It is a nice car, and very very quiet if operating at low speeds. Even the Tiger Eye strip in the interior (this was not a very good idea from the designer) is not as bad as one might suspect from the pictures available. Bad, but not that bad.

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Today we went to the new Toyota dealer on Sukhumvit about the hight of Soi 4 Najomtien. They have a Camry Hybrid in Burning Black ready for a test drive. As a standard they do not offer any insurance (no discount either "because this a new model". But the saleswomen there would talk to the manager to see if I could get the insurance worth THB 28'000.-- as part of the package - since we pay cash...

But there is a catch: Not every color can be ordered with a black (leather ?) interior. Burning black comes only as a combination with beige material (I am not really sure if it is leather). This beige material will soon become dirty I suppose. Will have to investigate if it then may be cleaned easily. If it is genuine leather I suppose that would be more difficult.

Next downside: My wifes legs are a bit short to reach well to the brake and the gas even if the steering wheel is just near her chest. We forgot to ask if the Steering Wheel could be pushed "in" a bit. It does adjust automatically up or down according to the stored seating position. We will further investigate this point.

And more: They have only one single model in Burning Black, the Grey Metallic which we would possibly choose (which comes again only in combination with the beige seats) may not be investigated in real life. To decide one has to see it on the car, not only in a catalogue.

Delivery times are around 2 months, which is surprisingly short. The hybrid batteries are guaranteed for 10 years. After that a replacement is only about THB 68'000.-- which is surprisingly low.

Optional tyre rims may be ordered, but they are very expensive. The nice one you always see on presentation (in comparison with the standard) would amount to additional THB 100'000.--. The sales woman said that the rims may come in 17" (the ones you always see on display are 18" - obcviously nicer but not very apt for the Thai roads.

We will have to look at the Mazda 3 Sedan 2019 - which might fit my wifes dimensions better - after all this is supposed to be her car.

I forgot to add: It is a nice car, and very very quiet if operating at low speeds. Even the Tiger Eye strip in the interior (this was not a very good idea from the designer) is not as bad as one might suspect from the pictures available. Bad, but not that bad.

Is this it?  Nice.

image.png.d30e0e5f940a3a27fa20815d51f51612.png

26 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Is this it?  Nice.

image.png.d30e0e5f940a3a27fa20815d51f51612.png

This is the same model I think. The one at the dealer on Sukhjumvit Najomtien has some writing on the doors. It looks even nicer and elegant in real life. What I do not understand is why they have to make only fixed combinations of outside / Inside colors. Absolute nonsense. Attitude Black may only be combined with a black interior, and Burning Black only with a beige interior.

Besides, the designer might have been color blind a bit: The display is showing a very vast number of colors, then the interior is a bit grey, a bit black and of course beige (with stripes of course ????) Less would have been more. But thats how it is, but nicer than the Honda Accord anytime (judging from the pictures).

If you can wait ...Bangkok International Motor Show ...starts March 27 ... you will be able to see all ... maybe best deals on VIP Day or last day.

Every day they have sales persons from different dealerships ...so you can compare offers ..as someone said BMW and Merc prices are lower now.

Archived