Money clearly cannot buy happiness for Bangkokians, new study shows

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, webfact said:

“When grandchildren become teenagers, they spend more time online, which further widens the gap,”

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"... the study’s aim was to unveil the problems people have so relevant organisations can design appropriate help and support."

cut off facebook, instagram, and twitter and see those well-being scores go up by a full point everywhere.

Bad city planning and everything focused at the center makes commuting hell for people living outside the city. And most of them prefer the comfort on sitting in thier own car with air cond blasting, wasting few hrs a day to commute. That's the life they choosed anyway.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I avoid Bangkok like the plague.   Air pollution,  noise pollution,  people running amuck to get on public transportation,  too many vehicles everywhere,  high prices for everything...Bangkok has lost its luster as the go-to tourist destination.  Little wonder folks trapped inside the rat race are despondent. 

Same, that is a money pit, over priced everything, cramped living, people with no care about anything but one thing "MONEY" and as much as one can get. Then again that is the majority of everyone but it is far worse to me in any major city add tourism to make it more of a jungle..... lol

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Long, exhausting commuting hours, little communication among family members and pollution appear to be the most common killers of happiness in the capital. 

Elsewhere, financial problems are the main threat to happiness. 

So, money can buy you happiness after all? Which is it? It appears not having money makes one very unhappy. Maybe living in an overcrowded city with terrible air and worse infrastructure is the real problem.

IMHO ,I have always lived in city downtown areas ,personally I like the energy and access to entertainment, now I live in Pattaya nrth, it has become unbearable with the loud scooters and toxic disgusting tour buses...those 2 things have changed this city dramatically.

Might not buy happiness but it buy's all the material goodies they seem to want to own..

it's a trade off... goodies cost money which means work in the city

or no goodies & plenty of fresh air planting rice all day

tough choices.

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

i suspect you havent travelled much in asia, compared to cities like phnom penh, manila, jakarta, bangkok is a treat.

It's just the color of the dung that changes. All hellholes. Singapore and Hong Kong are examples of better living standards in Asia. Both have invested in public transport, public areas, cultural aspects, etc. 

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Well, no surprise. Bangkok is a sprawling ugly dump of "city". In fact, it's more like a big, disorganized, polluted, chaotic village than a proper city. 

Nice cities have features that make them more livable - 

1. People who know how to walk on pavements properly 

2. Proper public transport 

3. Proper road infrastructure 

4. Cleanliness 

5. Parks 

6. Museums and other interesting cultural places 

7. Controlled or "zoned" building/construction 

Bangkok has ALMOST NOTHING that makes it livable. 

Shows you know NOTHING about Bangkok.

5 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

i suspect you havent travelled much in asia, compared to cities like phnom penh, manila, jakarta, bangkok is a treat.

I've been to nearly EVERY big city in Asia. I don't disagree that many cities in Asia are crap. What I am saying is that Bangkok is crap and doesn't make for a very livable, happy existence. 

Living in massive urban jungles is unnatural for people. However, good cities make it easier by having redeeming qualities. Bangkok has no such qualities - other than cheap sex on offer all over the city. Nothing else about the city is nice. 

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Bangkok is like any other city.

Most people want to live in the country. Poll the French they'll tell you that.

Ask most Brits. Their dream is the idyllic house in the countryside.

You're comparing Bangkok to world class cities in Europe? That's a BIG stretch. 

I'll give you some examples of real cities with a key redeeming quality each. 

Tokyo is a beautiful city. People are oderly and considerate so getting around is made bearable. 

Singapore is a beautiful city-state. They have invested heavily in city infrastructure like parks, walkable pavements, etc. 

New York City is a beautiful city. You can walk all over the city and easily meet and interact with people from all over the world. 

Stockholm is a beautiful city. It is pristine, the people are generally friendly and the environment is healthy. 

Hanoi is a reasonable city. At least the pavements are walkable as they were properly designed (by the French), and you can get a decent, actual piece of bread. 

London is a beautiful city rich with culture and history and worldly people everywhere you look. 

I think it's impossible to enjoy life when you are working long hours. We also see this in the west.  In order to enjoy life you need to feel healthy and have energy. Yes, pollution and long commutes add to the problem.  Working only to survive risks further unhappiness.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think it's impossible to enjoy life when you are working long hours. We also see this in the west.  In order to enjoy life you need to feel healthy and have energy. Yes, pollution and long commutes add to the problem.  Working only to survive risks further unhappiness.

I would agree, but I don't think Thais deserve to be considered with populations that actually work HARD and LONG. 

Thais, generally, DO NOT work very hard. I am speaking from experince running several top tier firms in Thailand. 

Their lack of energy comes mostly from universal incompetence and cultural issues that encourage them to be corrupt, not plan and avoid learning from outside the country. 

24 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I would agree, but I don't think Thais deserve to be considered with populations that actually work HARD and LONG. 

Thais, generally, DO NOT work very hard. I am speaking from experince running several top tier firms in Thailand. 

Their lack of energy comes mostly from universal incompetence and cultural issues that encourage them to be corrupt, not plan and avoid learning from outside the country. 

What I mean is working beyond their given capacities.  They are on duty long hours. 

Archived