Money clearly cannot buy happiness for Bangkokians, new study shows

webfact

10 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

True, almost nowhere in Thailand. 

At least outside of Bangkok, you can (sometimes) find cleaner air, less noise pollution, most people are not (relatively) rushed and chasing money, cost of living is less even as a percentage of income. 

Life outside of Bangkok can be OK insomuch as it is easier in many ways.

I'm not saying anywhere in the country is great because there is no place that is consistently nice over a large area. Out of the rural communities, Thais still often don't know how to make things pleasant and tidy and use the beautiful nature in Thailand to enhance the surrounding spaces. For example, Thais are generally happy to live with mud and dirt around their properties rather than tend to a garden or grass lawn. It makes everything uglier than it should be. 

I agree with much of what you wrote... Unfortunately, outside of Bangkok the Schools are not good enough (in comparison to the Top Tier International Schools such as Bangkok Patana) - thus living outside of Bangkok is not an option. 

The Air-quality has been particularly terrible this past year. However, I've not noticed it being a prolonged issue over past years (I've been in Bkk 20 years), the Air-quality often compares to other capital cities... but this years its been awful. 

Bangkok needs more parks etc...  there are Pro's and Con's for living anywhere... 

I think Hua Hin may be the next option after Bangkok (if my Son weren't at School age). 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Out of the rural communities, Thais still often don't know how to make things pleasant and tidy and use the beautiful nature in Thailand to enhance the surrounding spaces. For example, Thais are generally happy to live with mud and dirt around their properties rather than tend to a garden or grass lawn. It makes everything uglier than it should be. 

I can sympathize with Thais a bit on this one, having a garden in tropics is like fighting a hurricane, everything grows a couple of feet each time it rains. Lots of work, I have a gardener come twice a week just to keep it tidy.

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I can sympathize with Thais a bit on this one, having a garden in tropics is like fighting a hurricane, everything grows a couple of feet each time it rains. Lots of work, I have a gardener come twice a week just to keep it tidy.

I can understand this. I never thought about how much work it is. I suppose pride has to be prioritized as we can't do everything. 

Thais (and most Asians, I reckon) seem to value upkeep of public image stuff (appearance, autos, etc.) but not so much with private stuff like homes. I know more than a few Mercedes-Benz owners who live in homes that I would not even want to visit for an hour. 

Same same but different from us Farang, I suppose. 

On 1/24/2019 at 4:15 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Money clearly cannot buy happiness for Bangkokians, new study shows..."

Hmm...

I have rented much happiness in Bangkok; does that count?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Very well put, sir, and I quite agree.

After giving the matter careful consideration, I determined the split tail action was worth the price of admission. ????

Archived