For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Ahem. A "Villa" is at least four bedrooms with full AC. Electric around 9k baht/month in cold season, water 1600. Not a banoork concrete block with fans.

I have a 3 bedroomed "villa" with full AC. Electric < 3k baht, water <300 baht.

47 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I probably wouldn't, having worked in some right sh1tholes around the world...........try Nigeria at the end of the Biafran war if you want "food with a difference", but the rats, cockroaches and dead fish here were in the main shopping area of the place I mentioned.

Food storage areas are renowned for pests, but the main shopping area???????????

Do you want me to post some more videos of rats in restaurants and grocery stores in the West?  Rats are everywhere in any place there is food.  Why do you think they have health inspectors?

58 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It does have a meaning

In theory. In practice, it's a reflex action, subconscious, and to that extent, whatever meaning it used to have has long since gone the way of the dodo. They keep doing it because it's a reflex action, not because it implies anything right now - except perhsps 'I know I'm on a lower social stratum than you, please don't hurt me, I'm not a threat'.

I've been intrigued for a while at the custom of pooyay to keep their fingers separated when giving or returning a wai. It can be all fingers or just the ring and little fingers (this is what Chanocha prefers). It seems to be a signal that 'I live in a higher social stratum than you so watch it'.

Fascinating what antics these people get up to. It's all about ascendancy and face.

Not unlike lower-order primates, they have the same status-aware instinct.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

No, it's almost free for Thai citizens, I have to pay around 4k/year

Oh dear...I have great disdain for any foreigner that puts their own child into a Thai school when there are so many better options available...

Is this your own kid? Or one that you have inherited?

12 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Oh dear...I have great disdain for any foreigner that puts their own child into a Thai school when there are so many better options available...

Why...?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Jesus wept.

Great disdain hey old chap? I say.

Re your question - none of your goddam business!!!

Is it me or can this forum actually get any worse and sink to any lower depths?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It is true that housing and bills are much cheaper in Thailand, but don't forget wages are lower here (may not be an issue for you).  Also, you are walking away from a great health package, which costs 60-100k per year in Thailand, has limitations, and stops in old age.  Someone with a family in Thailand will also likely be paying for education, even when it is not up to Oz standards.

It's only a great health package for emergency situations. Unless you have private health cover in Australia, you can expect a wait of 1 to 2 years for something like a hip replacement under Medicare.

34 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

In theory. In practice, it's a reflex action, subconscious, and to that extent, whatever meaning it used to have has long since gone the way of the dodo. They keep doing it because it's a reflex action, not because it implies anything right now - except perhsps 'I know I'm on a lower social stratum than you, please don't hurt me, I'm not a threat'.

I've been intrigued for a while at the custom of pooyay to keep their fingers separated when giving or returning a wai. It can be all fingers or just the ring and little fingers (this is what Chanocha prefers). It seems to be a signal that 'I live in a higher social stratum than you so watch it'.

Fascinating what antics these people get up to. It's all about ascendancy and face.

Not unlike lower-order primates, they have the same status-aware instinct.

Is she a lower order primate then? 

wai a.jpg

20 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

That's it! 341 respondents. that number is not even a measurable number representative of the total population it is supposed to represent. Totally misleading. It is not even 1/10 of 1%. Totally misleading. 

Oh I don't know, It compiles a report on what 0,1% think. Some usefulness perhaps? It doesn't pretend to be important.

41 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I can't be arsed to read even a tenth of 43 pages and counting of this depressing drivel, but as one can see just of quotes pulled from one page, a 1 and a 1/2  day old thread is already 43 pages long, and counting, full of vitriol, non understanding of their surroundings, lack of respect of the local culture and just hideous glass half empty moaning types.

Basically a typical Thai Visa thread then.

And they come on here and moan about "the savages", they have no Thai friends, no Thais respect them etc.  Of course not, look at your behaviour!  Who's going to give respect to the man not making any effort to be cordial, muttering under his breath, not returning wais.

I just do not understand why these people stick around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, Bullie said:

Portugal, close to Coimbra. Nice freestanding house, 1500 m2 land with fruit trees, vines, some timber and private spring for a little less than 38,000 Euro's. Landtaxes less than 100 Euro's per year, cost of living 20 % lower than Thailand. Pleasant climate, 1 hours drive to the ocean. Excellent seafood and vegetables I am not scared of eating. (I am very careful in Thailand due to the pesticides and poison).

Thailand can't beat that.

how many imbeciles do you expect to believe your fairy tales? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Oh I don't know, It compiles a report on what 0,1% think. Some usefulness perhaps? It doesn't pretend to be important.

I hear ya, but there are those who will take that information and run with it as truth. 

9 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

I hear ya, but there are those who will take that information and run with it as truth. 

That's true, well, it is true - for the 0.1%. The mistake would be to assume that it is therefore true for the 100%, which is not shown by the survey results.

Good point.

5 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

If you purposely fathered a child with a Thai partner and you love that child then do you or do you not owe it to them to give them the very best chance in life?

So if you adopt a 100% Thai child who isn't biologically yours, does the same not apply?

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

Since you can't buy land in Thailand the only real comparison is rent and that is 10% of what is available in like places in the US.  Food is a fraction of the cost.  Wine cheap in the West women in Thailand.  Drunks go home.

Your wife can. If you trust her.I love it here but I also love the west, it's advanced and ordered lifestyle.

Tell yourself you came here for the temples . If you tell yourself enough times and often enough even you will believe it.

Oh yeah mine is different [emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

If you purposely fathered a child with a Thai partner and you love that child then do you or do you not owe it to them to give them the very best chance in life?

So if you adopt a 100% Thai child who isn't biologically yours, does the same not apply?

Depends....if you purposely set out to adopt and rise a child as your own then yes.

but if you got into a relationship with someone that already has children in the Thai education system then in my opinion that is a different story.

Again though i do know that it can take a lot of money to get back into your home country if you decide to go back and that it just may not be financially possible for everyone..in that case then the situation is different