Dead woman: "Lady of the Hills" is my daughter, claims Udon Thani mother

webfact

Dead woman: "Lady of the Hills" is my daughter, claims Udon Thani mother

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

An Udon Thani woman has claimed that her daughter is the "Lady of the Hills" found dead on the Yorkshire Dales in England 14 years ago. 

She suspects that she was murdered by her UK husband - a former English teacher in Bangkok - after they went to the UK and their marriage turned sour. 

A sketch of the victim and a dream she had only added weight to her fears, she said.

Now with the help of a group that assists Thai women living in the UK she hopes to finally bring the body of her daughter home. 

2pm1.jpg

DNA results are expected in a month. 

In addition police in the UK may be able to open a murder inquiry if they know the identity of the victim.

The mystery woman was dubbed the "Lady of the Hills" by villagers in Horton in Ribblesdale in Yorkshire.

Back in September 2004 it was believed she had died after getting lost and falling. She was wearing socks, Marks and Spencer jeans and a broken bra. After an inquest she was buried there. 

In September of last year the case was reopened leading relatives of Joomsri Seekanya, 72, to contact Setthinaree Wenet of the Thai Women Network in the UK. 

Joomsri said that her daughter Lamduan Armitage, who would now be 52, went missing a little over 14 years ago. Contact had abruptly ceased. 

She met her future husband in Chiang Mai. He was an English teacher in Bangkok. They married according to Isan traditions in her hometown of Phen in Udon Thani province in the north east of Thailand.

They had two children together and went to live in the UK where Lamduan worked in a restaurant sending her mother money every month. 

In 2004 she received a call from her daughter saying that her husband regularly assaulted her. That year she came back to Thailand with the children for a visit.

But one month later all contact stopped and no more money was sent.

Joomsri said she had a dream that her daughter had been pushed into mud and was dead. She claimed the spirit of her daughter called out to her that she was cold.

A visit to a medium produced the same results leading Joomsri to believe her daughter was dead and perhaps murdered by her husband. 

Yesterday a meeting was held at the Justice Ministry in Udon where Orn-Kasemsin Jirawatwong said that contact had been made with the North Yorkshire police on the latest developments from Thailand. 

DNA taken from the mother may proved that the "Lady of the Hills" is in fact Lamduan Armitage.

Results are expected in a month.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-25

8 minutes ago, singhajim said:

Beggars belief, appalling standards of police work, just mark it down as accidental death. UK police really are at the bottom of the ladder.

Absolute nonsense.  The majority of murders in the UK are solved following expert detective work and forensic examinations in addition to DNA checks which are certainly better than Thailand's pathetic efforts in certain cases.

23 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Absolute nonsense.  The majority of murders in the UK are solved following expert detective work and forensic examinations in addition to DNA checks which are certainly better than Thailand's pathetic efforts in certain cases.

Effort, you jest... 

I hope:

• That they can bring closure to the family and friends of the lady of the hills.
  • They are able to bring her remains home.
  • The police can establish out how she died
  • and if it was murder the get the murderer, and justice prevails.

If she was murdered by her husband I think the best thing he can do is hand himself in as by now they have a name and will sooner than latter get him, as he probably has very few places to run.

Looking at the picture from today's Khaosod, it does look like her daughter, Lamduan Armitage:

2.jpg

The timeline also matches up with when her Thai family last heard from her and the body was found in 2004.
Her mother said that the last time she saw her daughter was in 2004 when she bought her family over for a visit to her home in Udon Thani. A month after returning to the UK, her daughter phoned to say her husband was refusing to give her any housekeeping money and that was the last she ever heard from her.

She had two children with her UK husband, after a previous child with a Thai man in Thailand. I can only assume in 2004 when the children were very young, the English husband (if responsible) told them she had gone back to Thailand and had cut off contact with them, to cover it up.

4 hours ago, singhajim said:

Beggars belief, appalling standards of police work, just mark it down as accidental death. UK police really are at the bottom of the ladder.

Yes, Thai police are brilliant!!  Ha Ha! We all know what they are!

13 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

There you go, British cops said it was an accident and therefore no murder to be solved by expert detective work. 

9 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Yes, Thai police are brilliant!!  Ha Ha! We all know what they are!

No they are not.. but it should give people always bashing Thais some pause to see that also in their country mistakes are made. Of course i think the UK police is better then the Thai one. 

Still saying this is an accidental death without an real examination sounds a lot like the Thai police. 

5 hours ago, pegman said:

How useless are the coppers on that little island? An asian lady turns up dead at the same time a Thai lady with 2-3 kids, who works in a restaurant, goes missing. No connection made. Boggles the mind.

How do you know she worked in a Restaurant???

How do you know she was reported missing to the police???

Even if she did have a job, (If her husband was the killer) could have easily phoned up her employer and said something like she suddenly had to go back to Thailand for a family emergency...

5 hours ago, pegman said:

How useless are the coppers on that little island? An asian lady turns up dead at the same time a Thai lady with 2-3 kids, who works in a restaurant, goes missing. No connection made. Boggles the mind.

If it does turn out to be their daughter - the UK police and autopsy dept. will have to answer a number of embarrassing questions.

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

How do you know she worked in a Restaurant???

How do you know she was reported missing to the police???

Even if she did have a job, (If her husband was the killer) could have easily phoned up her employer and said something like she suddenly had to go back to Thailand for a family emergency...

You have a point insofar as at the moment we don't know whether her sudden disappearance was reported to the police.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Were they aware anyone had gone missing?

Were they reported missing?

Did the U.K. BIB fail to investigate such reports?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then your post is fair comment...

On 1/25/2019 at 4:27 AM, webfact said:

Now with the help of a group that assists Thai women living in the UK she hopes to finally bring the body of her daughter home. 

It will be extremely expensive to exhume a buried body, though if the police need a second autopsy could save them a packet, rare but not unheard of if after an arrest they need to clarify information.

https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/births-marriages-and-deaths/deaths-funerals-and-cemeteries/exhumations

Secondly they are not the only family, if it is their daughter, they say she has 3 children, they will be nearly, if not adults by now and their wishes need to be taken in to consideration too.

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Were they aware anyone had gone missing?

Were they reported missing?

Did the U.K. BIB fail to investigate such reports?

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then your post is fair comment...

Add this question:

Was a body found?

I would be cautious at this stage of the inquiry, sorry to say I would not be surprised if there were other victims, also I would expect many Thais have cut ties with their families because they keep asking for money.

(in reply to GinBoy2)

29 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I would be cautious at this stage of the inquiry, sorry to say I would not be surprised if there were other victims, also I would expect many Thais have cut ties with their families because they keep asking for money.

(in reply to GinBoy2)

Sad to say, I'm horribly in agreement in both of those points!

Archived