Big Joke arrests corrupt Thai immigration officers issuing fake stamps to foreigners

rooster59

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

So long as it is all in front of the cameras I suspect it is just a token display to keep the press and a few easily convinced folk that something is being done. 

I am not convinced that this is the end of corruption in this area.

We all know who his boss is!

Do nothing and your corrupt 

Do something and your still corrupt 

Loooong way to go but it's a first and at least a start 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

No thought about it, discussed it with my wife and stupidly listened to her and did nothing.

Smart wife IMHO. Seven years ago, you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on questioning local Immigration bureaucracy. Nowadays there are hot-lines and social media and... Big Joke!!!

10 minutes ago, GuestForLife said:

that would be very easy to be done, since they are publicizing their services on FB and other socials shamelessly and with impunity. There are some clearly stating "we fix all paperwork and statements... so it's worry-free" .    

TV knows a bit about Visa agencies - hence the name 'Thai Visa'. Anyway, if you get thrown out and black-listed, just go home, change your name, new passport and voila! Back you come - no harm done and no real cost Unless called upon for money in an envelope.

Just now, NanLaew said:

Smart wife IMHO. Seven years ago, you wouldn't have had a leg to stand on questioning local Immigration bureaucracy. Nowadays there are hot-lines and social media and... Big Joke!!!

Hope that was meant as a joke:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Me not having a leg to stand on.

Yes you are correct 7 years ago things were different, not the same now.

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

Consider me naïve (I don't), an optimist even. I think BJ is the real deal. I see PM material here.

No biggie. Turn over any rock or fallen tree in LOS and you'l find PM materal. What worries me is I think *he* seems PM material there.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I can understand that some people would be worried about possible recriminations/vengeance.

If Thais were properly disciplined for misconduct (ie sacked on the spot) there would be less to worry about. Sadly on most occasions they just get a smacked wrist and are left to carry on exactly as before.

Totally agree. Maybe in the rush to poke fun at Big Joke, nobody has noticed that these IO's were arrested and paraded before the media. No transfers to inactive pots this time.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree. Maybe in the rush to poke fun at Big Joke, nobody has noticed that these IO's were arrested and paraded before the media. No transfers to inactive pots this time.

I didn't see any corrupt policemen being paraded in from of the papers... probably me not paying attention...

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I didn't see any corrupt policemen being paraded in from of the papers... probably me not paying attention...

I seem to remember reading about a week or so ago (could be longer as I've slept since then) about some Africans etc found with dodgy stamps in their passports that had been bought, this could just be a follow up on that investigation I reckon, having said that, it would be very interesting to see the mood of IO's on Monday in various offices around the Kingdom now that this has been reported, I see many meetings taking place and discussions on the best way forward to protect their income stream.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I seem to remember reading about a week or so ago (could be longer as I've slept since then) about some Africans etc found with dodgy stamps in their passports that had been bought, this could just be a follow up on that investigation I reckon, having said that, it would be very interesting to see the mood of IO's on Monday in various offices around the Kingdom now that this has been reported, I see many meetings taking place and discussions on the best way forward to protect their income stream.

Not very surprising...Thais do love their corruption.

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Regarding using agents, wife came out of immigration office with the forms for me to fill for my retirement extension, and i noticed that the forms were different from last year.

Now it clearly states that the person doing the extension must do it in person, unless unable to do it because of disability.

So going by that using agents is not allowed.

The need for the applicant to appear in person has been printed on various TM forms for many, many years already.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

The need for the applicant to appear in person has been printed on various TM forms for many, many years already.

The forms i was given yesterday are new forms, not the same as last year.

The older forms did not say in person unless disabled.

Before you start arguing, i have copies of both old and new, and they are different.

33 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My point about doing something positive is referring to going after his own, not just foreigners

So catching illegal aliens is a lower-order priority for the boss of immigration in colinneil's imaginary kingdom?

Maybe he's done with the low-hanging fruit and now he means business?

34 minutes ago, GuestForLife said:

that would be very easy to be done, since they are publicizing their services on FB and other socials shamelessly and with impunity. There are some clearly stating "we fix all paperwork and statements... so it's worry-free" .    

Including, as I have read recently: 'No money in bank required', 'No funds needed'. Or other such quotes.

'Oh the times they are a changin'. 

Just now, NanLaew said:

So catching illegal aliens is a lower-order priority for the boss of immigration in colinneil's imaginary kingdom?

Maybe he's done with the low-hanging fruit and now he means business?

The only person imagining things is yourself.

47 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Don't know in which category these expats are, but your result is very different of the result in my condo :unsure:

When UK Embassy announced it would stop letter, one owner made an unofficial poll among retirees living in the condo: So on 10 people:

- 6 were using Embassy Letter

- 3 were using the 800k in the bank

- barely 1 was using an agent...

No risk of  "mass exodus" :wink:

Your condo maybe, i suspect other are different

In my quiet seaside town (Foreign retirement pop maybe about 150)  as far as i personally know about 15 people are using agents

25 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Anyway, if you get thrown out and black-listed, just go home, change your name, new passport and voila! Back you come - no harm done and no real cost

There's more to linking people with other travel documents than passport numbers.

Name, date of birth, place of birth...

Biometrics 101.

Before you start arguing, i have copies of both old and new, and they are different.

Visa agents will be eventually outlawed. Maybe within a year or two, maybe sooner
Not the best news obviously for those with no other option so probably now is a good time to formulate plan C

27 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Inattention. That'll be the death of you. There's more naming and shaming in the article referenced in the OP than you can shake your worthless income letter at.

https://www.tnamcot.com/view/hTIDuiq

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

Your condo maybe, i suspect other are different

In my quiet seaside town (Foreign retirement pop maybe about 150)  as far as i personally know about 15 people are using agents

You are not really different :wink:; still only 1/10 using agents, same as my condo,

and very far from the post I quoted:

1 hour ago, smedly said:

out of all the expats I know - 9 out of 10 of them use agents to get their extensions //

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Visa agents will be eventually outlawed. Maybe within a year or two, maybe sooner
Not the best news obviously for those with no other option so probably now is a good time to formulate plan C

As plan B seems to be 'panic' what the hell is plan C?

21 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your "new form" is at least 2 years old already.

My TM.7 from 2017 clearly says :

NOTICE

1.   ผู้ขอจะต้องยื่นค าขออนุญาตด้วยตนเอง

APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT THE APPLICATION IN PERSON

เว้นแต่ ผู้ป่วยหรือผู้พิการทไี่ม่สามารถมายื่นด้วยตนเองได้

WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF HANDICAPPED PATIENTS OR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

2.  จะได้รับการอนุญาตหรือไม่กต็าม จะไม่คืนเงินค่าธรรมเนียมในทุกกรณี

WHETHER PERMISSION IS GRANTED OR NOT,

APPLICATION FEE IS NON REFUNDABLE UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES 

Archived