Retirement visa income method, trapped in Thailand in future?

Do you have a forwarding address in the UK for any bank related correspondence etc? If so maybe you can just order a UK debit card from over here, online or by phoning them. 
I have a debit card for my UK bank, but this is not the problem. If I leave my pension money in UK bank account to use on trip, there will not be 12 monthly transfers on my Bangkok Bank statement.

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you all for your suggestions, I guess that if I do return to UK for a trip, I will have to plan it around my pension dates and exchange my baht for pounds for the trip! I don't fancy going to London for a new visa each time, or trips to Nong Khai every 90 days (both adding to expenses on limited funds) but thanks anyway, your comments are much appreciated [emoji5]

Sent from my X98 Plus II (C2D6) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madmen said:
16 hours ago, jiffers said:
Hi summit, your suggestion looks good. The only worry I have is would immigration accept a Thai bank statement showing money going in then not long afterwards going back out ? 

Get a second account. Problem solved

But the first bank account would show money in from abroad, then money out, be it to your second account or DeeMoney, no?

By including the words "Evidence showing Pension" in the new regs, I am presuming that IMM reserves the right to corroborate that there actually IS a source of monthly income behind the monthly deposits and not just recirculating the same money each month.

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

By including the words "Evidence showing Pension" in the new regs, I am presuming that IMM reserves the right to corroborate that there actually IS a source of monthly income behind the monthly deposits and not just recirculating the same money each month.

Op has a pension,post is about having spending money back in UK during a visit, not reusing it for income re extension purpose

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Op has a pension,post is about having spending money back in UK during a visit, not reusing it for income re extension purpose

Any time people start transferring money back to its origin IMM has the right to determine for what purpose it is being done.

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Any time people start transferring money back to its origin IMM has the right to determine for what purpose it is being done.

And in his case it’s legit..not to re use as your suggesting by using the term re circulating.

16 minutes ago, Olmate said:

And in his case it’s legit..not to re use as your suggesting by using the term re circulating.

As the word in the current Police Order is "consideration" for granting extension of stay, that is up to the IMM officer to determine what is legitimate and what is not.

But by using the word "legitimate" you are implying maybe that there are some back-to-source transfers that are NOT legitimate and how is the IMM officer supposed to tell the difference?

Edited by JLCrab

17 hours ago, jiffers said:

Hi summit, your suggestion looks good. The only worry I have is would immigration accept a Thai bank statement showing money going in then not long afterwards going back out ?  

I have never used Dee Money but can you fund the transfer back in cash at one of the Dee Money offices. Then there is no record that you ever sent the money out of Thailand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

immigrations idiotic requirement to transfer your money

Hmm. Bashing TI is the past time of some retirees, I guess. Idiotic? They should be praised for allowing Farangs whose embassies f*** their citizens. Can these TI bashers tell me what else they could have done? There are plenty of options when people are not here in Thailand to access the money sitting in a Thai bank. Life is change. If someone can't adjust to change, they will perish. If they want to vent their anger, they should direct it towards their own country. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

There are a lot of people here who spend a considerable amount of time in other countries.

Perhaps they could use tourist visas or visa waivers, not long term extensions then?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

As the word in the current Police Order is "consideration" for granting extension of stay, that is up to the IMM officer to determine what is legitimate and what is not.

But by using the word "legitimate" you are implying maybe that there are some back-to-source transfers that are NOT legitimate and how is the IMM officer supposed to tell the difference?

Reverse logic 

So he goes back to UK to reverse transfer funds to make it SEEM he is legitimate?  I reckon you are the doing the implying !

17 hours ago, jiffers said:

Unless you're leaving all the money you receive in your account all month long (and if you're using it for all your monthly expenses that won't be the case) it will be going out at some point during the month anyway. Why should it matter if it's at the beginning of the month or the end? I have been known to take a large chunk of cash out of the bank at the beginning of the month and then use it throughout the month to pay for various things - how would this be any different?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I suspect the problem could be the crappy "Union Pay" card which Bangkok Bank was offering, to the exclusion of Visa/MC cards, for awhile.  Thankfully, that problem has been solved.  A few hundred baht and a visit to any branch, and you can now get a MC ATM card.

That's all very well but I have no confidence in the MC!  I swap my Visa for MC with Bangkok Bank a couple of months ago and have found that a few things I used to pay using Visa no longer work with the MC.  Paying 3bb bill online is one, topping up phone using MyAIS is another.  Seems to work in Lotus but I wouldn't be confident relying on it for any online transactions or abroad.  Tried to register it for online transactions and the number was rejected as not recognised by MasterCard!

• Like 1

I changed my Bangkok Bank Union Pay Card for the recently offered Bangkok Bank Be 1st Smart Mastercard at my local branch in Nakhon Phanom. It took about 5 minutes and there was no charge involved. I can use this card in ATMs throughout the world where Mastercard is available. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gmac said:

That's all very well but I have no confidence in the MC!  I swap my Visa for MC with Bangkok Bank a couple of months ago and have found that a few things I used to pay using Visa no longer work with the MC.  

You could of kept your Visa card. I have both plus a UnionPay card now. 

I have had the same problem paying a AIS phone bill with the MasterCard. Have had to use the visa card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmac said:

That's all very well but I have no confidence in the MC!  I swap my Visa for MC with Bangkok Bank a couple of months ago and have found that a few things I used to pay using Visa no longer work with the MC.  Paying 3bb bill online is one, topping up phone using MyAIS is another.  Seems to work in Lotus but I wouldn't be confident relying on it for any online transactions or abroad.  Tried to register it for online transactions and the number was rejected as not recognised by MasterCard!

Bummer on that - I've had good luck so far with paying a few USA companies, but thank you for the warning.

As to paying 3BB and AIS - I pay 3BB with a transfer using online-banking, and also my phone (not AIS, but I think you can also pay AIS the same way).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jiffers said:

I understand the problem as I'm in the same boat. I usually spend 3 months in the UK in the  summer.

I don't know how feasible it is to transfer money from the UK to one's Thai account and then send it back to the UK for living expenses whilst there. In any case, it could be costly and doesn't seem to be a very clever solution.

Maybe Thai immigration will be reasonable and accept less than 12 months of deposits for this situation.

Why can't you buy Sterling while in Thailand and take back cash for your 3 months there?   You can carry in up to 10,000 EUR without declaring it which should be enough for 3 months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Why can't you buy Sterling while in Thailand and take back cash for your 3 months there?   You can carry in up to 10,000 EUR without declaring it which should be enough for 3 months.

If you're living from month to month, then you'll only have the current month's cash available to exchange.

You need to be able to send further months cash back to your "home" country remotely... which is also why a standard Thai bank transfer won't work for you.  Dee money should be ok if it ends to your country, or you could maybe use a person to person transfer where he sends you (eg.) GPB and you send him THB. 

• Like 1

I think it is much more likely to raise questions if entire monthly amount or most of it is transferred back out. Sending back say 10-15k a month is unlikely to get much notice.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steve73 said:

If you're living from month to month, then you'll only have the current month's cash available to exchange.

You need to be able to send further months cash back to your "home" country remotely... which is also why a standard Thai bank transfer won't work for you.  Dee money should be ok if it ends to your country, or you could maybe use a person to person transfer where he sends you (eg.) GPB and you send him THB. 

Surely you can plan ahead and save a save a bit each month and have enough Sterling when you travel.  It seems a pretty moot point though as there is no reason why any card these days wouldn't work internationally.  The OP just needs to get his bank to authorise it for international cash withdrawals.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, Myran said:

I fail to see the problem. Transfer pension to Thai account (so that it shows up on your statement) and then transfer it to the UK account with TransferWise or something (to use while in the UK).

You cannot use TransferWise to transfer from Thailand, they don’t have that facility as yet.

Why not withdraw money change it too sterling and hand carry it to the UK ?