Vios Engine Fit to Yaris

Siam Bruce

2019Jan26ViosEngineToYaris

I need a Hatchback and like Toyota’s.

The original Old model Yaris was quite small but with its 1500 cc Engine was quite spritely, with good acceleration which is what I am after, with comfortable Top speed of 110-120 K.p.h. which any car seems to do OK.

The next Yaris was bigger inside and longer but….. it suffered from having an Eco engine, giving “Pitiful” acceleration etc.

The question are Two fold.

1.     Will a 1500 cc engine complete with auto gearbox from a Vios fit into a Yaris, DIRECTLY? or with Minor modification?

I have heard but would like it confirmed that the Block/Crank etc of the Yaris/Vios are the same, with sleeves pressed into the Yaris block to enable smaller pistons etc to be used.

If this is correct then…. Is it just a matter of getting the sleeves pressed out and fitting the larger Vios piston etc. and ECU re-calibrated?

I would be happy to hear from anybody who ACTUALLY knows something about this rather than hear from others who are purely “speculating”

My belief is that the last model Yaris with a 1500cc engine would be a good car for my needs.

I have no knowledge of the performance of the latest Yaris ATIV - Hatch but yet again it only comes in the “Eco” version, surely Toyota are missing a “Trick”  and should be offering a “Sports” version with a 1500cc engine.

Thanks in Advance.

personally i think you would be opening a can of worms.

besides computer, you will probably need wire harness, and other sensors!

then when you are finished you will probably have emission issues due to the engine change.

if you are in Thailand are there any machine shops you can trust to do proper machining!!!!

13 hours ago, rodknock said:

then when you are finished you will probably have emission issues due to the engine change.

if you are in Thailand are there any machine shops you can trust to do proper machining!!!!

I know of more than one machine shop that can do a Good job, if you speak Thai you can get them to fully understand what you want but...... my question is

"Has anybody out there got any credible /factual information about this."

If so I would like to hear from you

Thanks

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

this type of Link helps sort at least some of the questions...

https://www.carwale.com/m/honda-cars/city/360-view/open/

Thank you for your picture I was well aware that both cars are sallon models only in Thailand however the Gentleman "Kwaski obviously does not so I hope the pic will be helpful to him.

Thanks

17 hours ago, rodknock said:

Why would a "Thai" Vios engine give emissions problems just because it's in a different car?

"if you are in Thailand are there any machine shops you can trust to do proper machining!!!!"

There sure are, why shouldn't there be?

I would do it differently. Stay with 1300 and do a mild remap of the EMC to 120 hp which is 14 hp over 1500 standard. And very easy.

If changing engine i would use the 1800 altus engine as fitted to Yaris RS. As this is a Toyota model (not marketed in Thailand) all conversion parts will be available from Toyota. Maybe from Japan or Europe.

The Vios engine is identical to Yaris.

1nz fe model or 2nz fe depending on cc.

10 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I would do it differently. Stay with 1300 and do a mild remap of the EMC to 120 hp which is 14 hp over 1500 standard. And very easy.

If changing engine i would use the 1800 altus engine as fitted to Yaris RS. As this is a Toyota model (not marketed in Thailand) all conversion parts will be available from Toyota. Maybe from Japan or Europe.

The Vios engine is identical to Yaris.

1nz fe model or 2nz fe depending on cc.

Thanks very much for that information it is much appreciated, you have given me plenty to think about. 

I would think I would go with the "Remap of the EMC" first to see how that works out.

Buying a "Legal" second hand Vios engine with the correct papers would be the next option as if it is physically the same size it a matter of one lump out and another in, and that is acceptable to D.L.T.

The 1800cc Altis engine would certainly move it along but how much modification to the structure would be required? 1600 & 1800ccc engines are available here secondhand Ex Japan with the required paperwork for D.L.T.

D.L.T.  =  Dept. of Land Transport

Thanks

On 1/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, Siam Bruce said:

The next Yaris was bigger inside and longer but….. it suffered from having an Eco engine, giving “Pitiful” acceleration etc.

Where did you get that information from? There really isn't a lot of difference between the two. One about half a second to 100 km/h. The eco yaris here is the first one produced and has since been updated. At the moment, I'm borrowing a relatives old model yaris and also have an eco swift. I prefer the swift as the cvt is much smoother than the 4 speed of the yaris. The swift also has firmer suspension and more direct steering. The jazz would be my choice for a small hatchback as it has a flat loading area. It's a quick little car also. 

image.png.f84281e2e5b9e563c5a9eb9eaf47f9ae.pngimage.png.c3b56e8d896ad8762040e3de08bbba85.pngimage.png.da3d0e88f08e2789a9995ef38b6884e7.png

I originally had a Yaris 1.5 great little car, My neighbour died and I was left me with the Vios, nice Saloon car but I have dogs so it was sold, I drove my 1.5 Yaris to Toyota and tried out their Eco Yaris, whatever the figures say on my test drive it was “Sluggish” compared to the one I had just got out off.

I bought the Swift, we kept it for a year, nice car but…. Call me old fashioned but I don’t like CVT.

I needed a Pickup so the Swift was sold and we used a pickup for 9 mths building work. That has now gone and I am left with my 2002 Camry, bought new, which now has done 370,000 Kms. It’s now worth very little so I will keep it until it fails.

My friend has the new Yaris Activ Hatch and says it performs better than the Swift.

I don’t want to buy a new car so I was looking at getting more performance out of the Yaris Eco Car which to me is the correct size for what I need.

Jazz,-  personal preference, I prefer to stick with Toyota.

Archived