British teenager, 17, killed while on holiday in Thailand

rooster59

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

What seems odd to me is "traveling with boss".  In the USA a minor under 18 cannot travel abroad without a parent , or notarized consent from both Parents.  Both parents consenting to travel with a boss from a job seems odd to me as I cannot imagine the 17 year old had been employed for very long.  

I cannot imagine a 17 year old to have been working long enough to have developed a relationship with a "boss"?  My son was still in high school at 17.  I would not have let him leave the country with anyone but a lifelong friend or relative.  

Very sad about his death - condolences to his parents and friends back home

What has the US got to do with this?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Anyone else fondly remember the days when we all got travel insurance before we went on holidays abroad? Wouldn't have saved the kids' life, sure, but the body repatriation clause would prevent his family from having to ask for handouts to get him back home again. 

Personal responsibility is a bit too much for people these days.

SammyT  perhaps you are like me old enough and from a country that once did not shield you from personal responsibility.  If you wanted a place to live, get a job.  You needed something to eat, show the cash.  The younger generation has been told 'THEY HAVE RIGHTS" and they act accordingly

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"I am asking anyone to please get this young boy home, the most we can do as community

what  the  hell  happened  to personal  responsibility,  the  worlds  gone  mad

With every successive tragedy in which a foreigner is killed, either by their own negligence or by the negligence of others, and a gofundme page is set up, I feel more divided. Divided, because there is often a failure of personal responsibility, and a further step is taken along the road to compassion fatigue, where more and more people are inclined to say enough is enough. 

Of course one feels for the parents, and it will forever change the course of their, and the lad's siblings' lives. But how much longer can this catalogue of sad events followed by pleas for assistance continue?

29 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Which tourist island?  Who said that this accident wasn't reported and commented on in the last few days?

Really you have a source ? I can't find it. 

31 minutes ago, Thomas J said:
4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Anyone else fondly remember the days when we all got travel insurance before we went on holidays abroad? Wouldn't have saved the kids' life, sure, but the body repatriation clause would prevent his family from having to ask for handouts to get him back home again. 

SammyT  perhaps you are like me old enough and from a country that once did not shield you from personal responsibility.  If you wanted a place to live, get a job.  You needed something to eat, show the cash.  The younger generation has been told 'THEY HAVE RIGHTS" and they act accordingly

Strangely enough I'm not much more than a decade older than the deceased lad, but I guess I was just raised with enough common sense that you should be accountable for yourself and not rely on others to do something you could have sorted yourself. 

As they say, common sense isn't actually all that common. 

39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where did it say that he rented a bike?

Nowhere, I just assumed it. The whole article doesn't say much more than he was on a holiday without insurance and had a fatal accident. Parents have no money to send the coffin home, parents ask for GoFundme.

35 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What has the US got to do with this?

I only know that in the U.S. and Thailand - 17 year olds go to high school in January.  ASSUMED British 17 year olds also go to school and also have laws regarding minors

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

They're asking someone to pay, and it's not the guy who could afford the trip to Thailand in the first place, but somehow couldn't afford travel insurance...

Maybe they are appealing to people who have some compassion who are happy to give something to a grieving family. Believe it or not these people exist even though a rarity on here. 

48 minutes ago, tonboy said:

He should do that and the family should not beg on internet for money for his return. 
Instead because he is 17, and he is taken on holiday by his boss, therefore his boss is responable for him. 
The family should sue the boss.

Why was his boss "responable" [sic] for him"?  His boss didn't force him to go, did he, surely he went voluntarily?  Perhaps his boss didn't cause his death?

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I only know that in the U.S. and Thailand - 17 year olds go to high school in January.  ASSUMED British 17 year olds also go to school and also have laws regarding minors

Are you tying to say that you think that in the US and Thailand 17-year olds cannot leave school to start work?  Really?  Of course, the UK has laws regarding minors but what specific laws are you referring to that would have prevented this situation? 

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Anyone else fondly remember the days when we all got travel insurance before we went on holidays abroad?

Not really, I,m too old to remember. Had I been only "a decade older than the victim", I think I would remember.

16 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Strangely enough I'm not much more than a decade older than the deceased lad, but I guess I was just raised with enough common sense that you should be accountable for yourself and not rely on others to do something you could have sorted yourself. 

As they say, common sense isn't actually all that common. 

It’s Sunday. Haven’t you got a service to go to or something?

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s Sunday. Haven’t you got a service to go to or something?

Oh right, trying to pretend I'm religious because I live in Thailand long term and I'm not over the age of 50. 

Nice try. I'm atheist. I moved here for work. Have another go, go on. 

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

Oh right, trying to pretend I'm religious because I live in Thailand long term and I'm not over the age of 50. 

Nice try. I'm atheist. I moved here for work. Have another go, go on. 

.....and there’s you banging on about common sense. 

17 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

FYI I left school at 15 and joined the British Army, at 17 I was posted to Germany. Back on topic, there are 2 gofundme pages running for this young lad, unfortunately the link to the UK paper doesn't seem to want to work, so any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families. 

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

If it's this one, it's a hell of an accident. No surprise it being fatal.

By night, rainy weather, high speed, big motorbike, overtaking, frontal shock... :sad:

50666067_2018364891614668_17761179993762

IF.   The local newspaper and this do both report the accident(s) happening on Thursday night, though.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Pretty pointless arguing over licence and insurance the poor lad is dead if he had both before hand he would still be dead RIP????

You are claiming having a valid license (ie: proper training for the vehicle) would not have a impact on traffic casualities? 

If he has a valid license with the experience that comes with it, he might have been breathing today.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

FYI I left school at 15 and joined the British Army, at 17 I was posted to Germany. Back on topic, there are 2 gofundme pages running for this young lad, unfortunately the link to the UK paper doesn't seem to want to work, so any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families. 

"...unfortunately the link to the UK paper doesn't seem to want to work..."

It does with a VPN.

"...any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families". 

Where did you get that information from?

"FYI I left school at 15 and joined the British Army..."

You signed up aged 15?

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

It does with a VPN.

"...any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families". 

You signed up aged 15?

Yep, I was a junior soldier, it was a couple of weeks before my 16th birthday - so technically still 15 but I had taken the Queens Shilling in June or July of that year, 1969. :smile:

I don't have a VPN, does the paper give any more relevant info ? 

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It does with a VPN.

You signed up aged 15?

Check the write up on the main gofundme page, it says it there, yes I signed up at 15 with parental consent, as soon as I went to do basic training my family went on holiday to the Canaries ????

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Go fund me is now the trending thing to do... why pay when you can beg !!!

Yes I am self insured!

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

it does as long as you are not breaking the law, its the same in every country.

Wearing a helmet, licenced, not speeding DUI etc. - you must be legal and the insurance will pay out.

sadly many tourists come here and break the law.

Fella thats simply not true in every case. I dont ride bikes never would either but my annual policy which is very popular does not cover motorbike usage simple as. I'm aware of it but hazard that 50/50 are not

Archived