British teenager, 17, killed while on holiday in Thailand

rooster59

What seems odd to me is "traveling with boss".  In the USA a minor under 18 cannot travel abroad without a parent , or notarized consent from both Parents.  Both parents consenting to travel with a boss from a job seems odd to me as I cannot imagine the 17 year old had been employed for very long.  

I cannot imagine a 17 year old to have been working long enough to have developed a relationship with a "boss"?  My son was still in high school at 17.  I would not have let him leave the country with anyone but a lifelong friend or relative.  

Very sad about his death - condolences to his parents and friends back home

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very odd story. I am unaware of any employer in the UK who would take an employee who is a minor  on holiday to Thailand. Was he an emancipated minor allowed to travel on his own? Immigration is supposed to question minors who enter  Thailand on their own.

A lot of questions need to be asked as to what the minor was actually doing in Thailand, what the job was and why the parents  sent their child with this "employer".

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Immigration is supposed to question minors who enter  Thailand on their own.

There are plenty of things that Immigration are meant to do which they blatantly choose not to do... 

4 minutes ago, salavan said:

Is this more reporting to reinforce the need for mandatory health Insurance

If it stops the ever-increasing "I chose not to get insurance now I want a crowdfunding handout to assist me with my woes" stories that we see in the media now, then I'm all for mandatory insurance.

13 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Very odd story. I am unaware of any employer in the UK who would take an employee who is a minor  on holiday to Thailand. Was he an emancipated minor allowed to travel on his own? Immigration is supposed to question minors who enter  Thailand on their own.

A lot of questions need to be asked as to what the minor was actually doing in Thailand, what the job was and why the parents  sent their child with this "employer".

My 15 year old son has made the trip 2 times by himself and never been questioned. Not sure why he should be questioned unless there is a minimum entry age, or must be accompanied, to enter Thailand. The airlines let you fly at 15. 

47 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

What seems odd to me is "traveling with boss".  In the USA a minor under 18 cannot travel abroad without a parent , or notarized consent from both Parents.  Both parents consenting to travel with a boss from a job seems odd to me as I cannot imagine the 17 year old had been employed for very long.  

Later on in the article, the boss is also called his friend. It is perfectly conceivable that "his boss" is also his friend and maybe a couple of years older than him and the two of them do a window cleaning round.

Had there not been the [ obligatory ] GoFundMe account, I suspect this story might never have seen the light of day.

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel insurance does not cover motorbike accidents, to my knowledge. RIP and condolences to the family.

Well there are many different policies, all the more reason to check the exact coverage and check every word carefully.

The worst example is folks who say 'YES' to travel insurance with zero check of coverage and after an accident discover that the coverage was only for cancelled flights / lost luggage etc., and zero health /accident coverage. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

110!

UK rules don't apply in Thailand.

In Thailand you must be 18yo to drive a bike more than 110

(from 15yo to 18yo you can drive bike up to 110, but still need a licence)

If you look at a UK IDP, with regard to motorcycles, there is a box for class A. Class A is a FULL UK motorcycle licence. I have a UK IDP and I have a full UK motorcycle licence so in my case the box is stamped and I can use my IDP in conjunction with my UK driving licence to ride motorcycles in Thailand. There is no box for A1.

Since the deceased was 17, it is impossible for him to have a full UK motorcycle licence, therefore, even if he had bothered with an IDP, it would not have allowed him to ride motorcycles in Thailand as the class A box would not have been stamped.

20 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Later on in the article, the boss is also called his friend. It is perfectly conceivable that "his boss" is also his friend and maybe a couple of years older than him and the two of them do a window cleaning round.

Had there not been the [ obligatory ] GoFundMe account, I suspect this story might never have seen the light of day.

I thought the same, boss probably just means two friends, one drives the truck and the other is the off-sider.

32 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Selective choice of quotation there. My point being if you choose not to take travel insurance, it's a bit rich when you or your family then turn around and put your hand out to ask for money to get people to help you out of your woes. 

This is no more sad than any number of other deaths that happen in Thailand, or around the world, on any given day. As someone else said above, but for the obligatory gofundme page, we'd have probably never heard of this story. 

Are they asking you to pay?????

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Are they asking you to pay?????

They're asking someone to pay, and it's not the guy who could afford the trip to Thailand in the first place, but somehow couldn't afford travel insurance...

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

This is just a never ending story with people not taking out insurance cover whether its for travel 

accident medical ect 

no doubt will be reading about more in the future

wish them good luck on their Go Fund Me in getting their son home 

So how much will you be donating?

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

They're asking someone to pay, and it's not the guy who could afford the trip to Thailand in the first place, but somehow couldn't afford travel insurance...

Don't think they are asking anyone to pay donate if you want to same as any reasonable person may do in a similar situation????

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

IMO, travel insurance is a waste of paper, time & money, in most cases a waste of the paper it is printed on, and the companies in the majority of cases are just Robbing Bastards trying to wriggle out of any claims due to the small print.

Thieving Scumbags.

Garbage.

Understand the comments & it is all very sad.

Very little reporting on what actually happened to cause such a terrible accident.

I hate bikes & will walk rather than take the motorbike taxis after seeing a passenger om one

going under a bus & getting her head literally crushed by the wheel.

I actually vomited in the gutter which of course did not help at all.

Keep away from bikes, just look at the statistics ,,, they tell a morbid story

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Got to ask, if his boss took him out here, why isn't he taking responsibility for getting him home?

He should do that and the family should not beg on internet for money for his return. 
Instead because he is 17, and he is taken on holiday by his boss, therefore his boss is responable for him. 
The family should sue the boss.

2 hours ago, balo said:

You would have thought an accident like this would have been all over in the local Thai news. But looks to me they did a nice job hiding it so the tourist island can keep the TAT happy. 

Which tourist island?  Who said that this accident wasn't reported and commented on in the last few days?

Archived