This is unbelievable.

17 yo

First time to Thailand

Riding a motorbike

At night

Wet – rainy weather

At speed

Alcohol / drugs – more than likely           

What a waste, the eldest sibling. Someone here needs to be accountable, the mother, the boss.

At that age you need a full-time guardian, thank god my parents loved me enough to never allow me to be put in that situation - I wouldn’t be around today.

38 minutes ago, GeoMill said:

You are claiming having a valid license (ie: proper training for the vehicle) would not have a impact on traffic casualities? 

If he has a valid license with the experience that comes with it, he might have been breathing today.

Having a valid licence all bells and whistles insurance offers no protection at all here from the kamikaze driving style I certainty don't get in my car with 1st class insurance and think if I get splattered from any and every direction no need to worry because my remains are well covered . Half the population here has no licence and some kids ride to school 4 up.

Its only better policing and enforcement that will raise driving standards ????

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

No.

Never did.

Inc 5000 mile, 3-4 week motorcycle tours across foreign countries.

IMO, travel insurance is a waste of paper, time & money, in most cases a waste of the paper it is printed on, and the companies in the majority of cases are just Robbing Bastards trying to wriggle out of any claims due to the small print.

Thieving Scumbags.

Next...

They do use every excuse to get out of paying when skhit happens

I don't buy travelling insurance but i bring a credit card which should be enough cover accidents

When i was 17 i wouldn't have been able to do either tho 

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

Many won't cover hospital bills etc, but it will cover body repatriation in the event of death, however that death might occur.

I have ongoing travel insurance and have had the same policy for about eight years now.  Two years ago when I renewed for another year I was informed that I was no longer covered for motorbike or car accidents in Thailand.  It didn't say anything about repatriation not being covered though.  I guess it is always something you should check on

FYI I left school at 15 and joined the British Army, at 17 I was posted to Germany. Back on topic, there are 2 gofundme pages running for this young lad, unfortunately the link to the UK paper doesn't seem to want to work, so any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families. 

Yup, I also left school at 15 ( 2 months before my 16th birthday), was common back then, not sure about now.

The link to the T & A opens for me ( without a VPN ) but there’s no more information than in the OP.

RIP Anthony

1 hour ago, Respectthailand said:

If he has a license

As I posted earlier, if :-

He had completed compulsory basic training AND

Passed the theory test AND

Passed the practical test

the most advanced UK motorcycle licence available to him at age 17 is class A1. Class A1 are 125 cc bikes.

If he was the guy who died in Phuket, he was riding a size of bike he was not trained to ride, had no experience on and was definitely not licensed to ride.

God bless the young boy. There for the first time see the fancy motor bikes and scooters 230 baht day no license to show and off they go. Thai roads to drive on are death traps.

onsurance would be a wast of money for that, they would not pay.

Another waste of a young life. Rip young man.

A couple of abusive posts from the same source have been removed, also replies, did you miss this forum rule when you signed up?

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Whey don't they cremate his body and bring his ashes back.. much cheaper.... no need for 5 thousand pounds.  

Sad for his parents.  However, it was kind of asking for trouble letting a 17 year old ride a motor bike (probably without licence, helmet or experience). in a country with the highest road deaths, and also having no insurance etc.  

16 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

As I posted earlier, if :-

He had completed compulsory basic training AND

Passed the theory test AND

Passed the practical test

the most advanced UK motorcycle licence available to him at age 17 is class A1. Class A1 are 125 cc bikes.

If he was the guy who died in Phuket, he was riding a size of bike he was not trained to ride, had no experience on and was definitely not licensed to ride.

+1

Without any facts - not many 17yr old UK kids have full licences for motorcycles, at best he may have had a provisional (a learner licence so unqualified)

It costs quite a bit of money in UK for a youngster to get their full licence for a car and takes a bit of time to go through the process (Training, Part 1 Written Theory Test, normally more Training then Part 2 Practical Test) A bike slightly different but even a Direct Access course is not done at 17 as most will ride on L-Plates for first yr-18mths then take the test so most likely this lad did not have the correct licence for a bike.

But as mentioned a young man of 17 in an amazing place like this, easy access to a bike and anything else on offer? 'The BoSS' should have been acting in this lads best interest. It would be interesting to see that part of the story? Who was the responsible adult? Personally I would not have allowed my kid at 17 to go off to a place like this with his Boss

RIP to the lad

26 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Personally I would not have allowed my kid at 17 to go off to a place like this with his Boss

This was covered earlier in this now long thread. The "boss" is also a friend and could easily be the sub-contractor of 20 years old whilst the deceased was the labourer or assistant, whatever. I think the use of the word "boss" is giving people a very wrong impression here. I don't think he was working for a company of any size.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...unfortunately the link to the UK paper doesn't seem to want to work..."

It does with a VPN.

"...any more info as to the background is unavailable, it would appear though that he had had a troubled childhood having lived with various families". 

Where did you get that information from?

"FYI I left school at 15 and joined the British Army..."

You signed up aged 15?

I signed up aged 15 years and 7 months as Boy Entrant in the RAF for 9 years in January 1960. I enjoyed the life so much that I extended to serve 22 years. My first overseas posting was in June 1963 for a 1 year tour in Bahrain.

It was I wanted to do since I was 10 or 11 years old.

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

With every successive tragedy in which a foreigner is killed, either by their own negligence or by the negligence of others, and a gofundme page is set up, I feel more divided. Divided, because there is often a failure of personal responsibility, and a further step is taken along the road to compassion fatigue, where more and more people are inclined to say enough is enough. 

Of course one feels for the parents, and it will forever change the course of their, and the lad's siblings' lives. But how much longer can this catalogue of sad events followed by pleas for assistance continue?

Why does it bother you? Have they came knocking on your door demanding money, no, I didn’t think so. If you don’t like gofundme then don’t give, it’s plain and simple. 

A young man has died in tragic circumstances so let it go at that. There might be some of his family members or friends on TV. If at all possible, try to show a little compassion.

RIP young man. 

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel insurance does not cover motorbike accidents, to my knowledge. RIP and condolences to the family.

It does if you specify it on the contract, my Travel insurance is a yearly policy and was $30.00 extra to have the motor bike insurance, if I were the driver or passenger on bike under 150cc The total insurance including high blood pressure stipulated  was

$ 960.00 for 340 days. 

Cremation at a temple ~ 1000 baht ,  mailing the ashes to UK maybe another 1500 baht.  The idea that famlies need to see their dead relatives reconstructed and embalmed to morn them is beyond logic IMHO, but keeps a lot of funeral homes in business.  Maybe a chirstian thing also - IDK or care

Sad and tragic

Speed kills - but it sure is a thrill

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Whey don't they cremate his body and bring his ashes back.. much cheaper.... no need for 5 thousand pounds.  

Sad for his parents.  However, it was kind of asking for trouble letting a 17 year old ride a motor bike (probably without licence, helmet or experience). in a country with the highest road deaths, and also having no insurance etc.  

Yeah, I think that would be the sensible thing to do. There is no need to bring the body back. Ashes and a foto of the deceased after death (may be with some cosmetics) would do very well.

By reading the Go fund me page, it is fairly obvious this kid was not only from a broken home but had issues as a young man as well. Regards to his employer being his friend or boss, it makes little difference now and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. It could be a young man near his own age with a small business in Cornwall for all we know. If that was the case, he may have little more sense that the young lad he was responsible for.

The area where he came from is Holmewood, I know the place well, this is one of the poorest and had a reputation for being one of the roughest, council estates in Bradford. It has not changed a great deal over the years. Somehow, he managed to remove himself either with friends and family help or by himself, to Cornwall.

Cornwall, I also know and remember from holidays and my time in the Royal Navy, and is a far cry from the grey skies of Bradford. I will throw in a small donation in this case, as to me, it's a young guy who has lost his way and basically had to bring himself up. He didn't get the best deal in the pack dealt with him and maybe didn't have the know-how or was too young to see problems ahead.

TV comments about bike insurances and driving licenses are a bit of a waste of time now. The lad is dead. Likewise, talking about how dangerous the roads are and safety helmets. You think a young lad at 17 from a troubled background and with a tough upbringing would have researched all these things before setting off on a dream holiday?

Stories like this are very sad. RIP to the young man. If there is anywhere else after this mortal coil, I hope he is there.

11 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Travel insurance does not cover motorbike accidents, to my knowledge. RIP and condolences to the family.

It does. How many times will this misinformation be repeated. Standard policies cover up to 125cc. Though not all policies cover it. Plus the rider has to possess a valid licence.

33 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

By reading the Go fund me page, it is fairly obvious this kid was not only from a broken home but had issues as a young man as well. Regards to his employer being his friend or boss, it makes little difference now and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. It could be a young man near his own age with a small business in Cornwall for all we know. If that was the case, he may have little more sense that the young lad he was responsible for.

The area where he came from is Holmewood, I know the place well, this is one of the poorest and had a reputation for being one of the roughest, council estates in Bradford. It has not changed a great deal over the years. Somehow, he managed to remove himself either with friends and family help or by himself, to Cornwall.

Cornwall, I also know and remember from holidays and my time in the Royal Navy, and is a far cry from the grey skies of Bradford. I will throw in a small donation in this case, as to me, it's a young guy who has lost his way and basically had to bring himself up. He didn't get the best deal in the pack dealt with him and maybe didn't have the know-how or was too young to see problems ahead.

TV comments about bike insurances and driving licenses are a bit of a waste of time now. The lad is dead. Likewise, talking about how dangerous the roads are and safety helmets. You think a young lad at 17 from a troubled background and with a tough upbringing would have researched all these things before setting off on a dream holiday?

Stories like this are very sad. RIP to the young man. If there is anywhere else after this mortal coil, I hope he is there.

Well said. It’s a sad state of affairs when one cannot highlight the points you made without it being removed. 

I hope your post remains as a reminder for all. 

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Well said. It’s a sad state of affairs when one cannot highlight the points you made are without it being removed. 

In my time here, I've noticed there's a difference between highlighting a point like what he said, and resorting to ad-hominem. Incidentally, it's also the difference between posts staying and posts being removed. He nailed it, you didn't. 

Yup, I grew up 12km from Holme Wood and it’s certainly a place you don’t want to stray into at night !!

Reading the article in the T & A it clearly insinuates that his move from Holme Wood to Cornwall was a great move in the right direction, and growing up in the area that he did it’s hardly surprising that his family are asking for help.

As for the suggestions that they should have his body cremated in Thailand and the ashes could be sent back to the uk. It’s certainly a good option but the family are grieving right now so probably won’t accept that, you have to put yourself in their position, not an easy decision to make for a close family member.

Very sad indeed, much too young.

Some of you are unbelievable. The lad is dead and you post nonsense about him having a license or not.

It’s no wonder so many of you live here, stuck I’m sure. Thailand deserves you, and you deserve it.

Archived