Three schoolgirls killed in Nakhon Pathom motorcycle crash

webfact

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Parents at work and there is only the families motorbike to use.  That is why you see so many children riding around on these bikes.  It is the only choice they have for many poor families.

I'm sorry I can't agree with that statement........

When we were kids and very poor I may add, we walked about 3 miles to school and 3 miles back, come wind, rain or shine.

My main point is that if there were children in a particular village who had to be at school at a particular time, then parents could have clubbed together and arranged for someone to pick them up in a van of some description and take them to and from schools, this for a small payment. 

There would be someone in the village who would be prepared to do this either by using a minivan or similar, but the problem is that Thais have no idea of consequence and in addition have no idea how to think outside of the "square", because this solution is all too easy for just a few baht, or even paid for by produce from someone's garden! But laziness and stupidity reign supreme here.

Yes I am seething about this because when I read about the accident, tears welled up in my eyes because I saw my young daughter as one of those who could have been killed and whose life would have been needlessly wasted through stupidity, and even now, writing this, I feel so, so very sad, and I write with tears in my eyes.

I would go out on a limb and say the boys riding along side  them would have been coaching them to ride faster and race, I wonder if 3 girls on their own would feel the need for carelessness and speed while driving home..

Bloody stupid brain dead parents, why ohh why allow young children who have no experience, not old enough to ride motorbikes, now you have lost your children due to your own stupidity.

We had the same problem with a friend of ours, her daughter was 13yrs old, we tried to tell her mother and father to stop her. They said if they tried to tell her, the daughter would make a problem. Fortunately she never got killed or injured. Then when she was 17 she did make a problem, pregnant.

Our daughter is nearly 24 and she's never ridden a motorbike herself and never will.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...all underage"?

The age of the pillion riders is irrelevant, only the rider's age matters.

But it should be the driver's responsibility to 1. Wear a helmet, 2. Make sure his ONE pillion is wearing one as well. 3. Have a licence & insurance. 4. Drive as per the highway code.

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

About 6 years ago I had a conversation with the developer of our moo bahn, who also live here, about letting his 14 year old daughter ride a new Honda motorbike to school, which was a good 8klm away on a major highway.  The girl was stunning, and could have easily been a model in a few years  

I told him that he didn't really love his daughter if he let her ride at 14, which is under the legal age.  He was upset that I accused him of not loving her, saying she was the most precious thing in the world to him.  As for riding, she "looked older" (true), so it was ok, and besides, she was a good driver.  

Just about a month later, the girl was crushed beneath s cement mixer that she tried to cut in front off.  My wife and I walked down to his house to express our condolences, and the man went totally crazy, yelling and screaming that it was my fault for talking about her being in an accident.  My wife, who seldom raises her voice, got right in his face and told him - "YOU killed your daughter the day you bought her a motorbike!"

We left then.  For the next month or so the man never spoke to me or my wife again, and finally sold their house to the people across the street from them and moved to Chiang Rai. 

Thai adults are also still childs....they just never grow up and sure can't stand the truth. I think that will never ever change.

Also i expected serious changes in Thailand when Prayuth became the new leader....he changed a lot for the first year but lately he's doing nothing at all to improve the country.

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

indeed; the parents enable, the school ignores, the police can't be bothered and society doesn't care.

At that age my school did not even allow me to drive to school on my bicycle! Once I did and they confiscated it.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

At that age my school did not even allow me to drive to school on my bicycle! Once I did and they confiscated it.

Your school "confiscated" your bicycle? That is theft ... what did your parents do?

Regarding the rest of the thread, I'm embarrassed that people living in Thailand obviously are full with hate about the country. Can you please go home? Can you please leave the forum?

This is a Buddhist country, not a christian one. They all *know*: dying in a motorbike accident is "bad luck".

But unlike the Christian idiots, they *know* they get reborn more or less straight away.

And, to nail it: why are people implying they had no insurance? And how does insurance prevent you from dying if you have an accident?

Yes, they have often bad driving skills. However every farang  I see driving ..... oh, you say riding ... my bad ... a motorbike is even worth.

16 hours ago, mercman24 said:

yes, underage, = no helmet = no licence = no insurance. probably the scooter bought for her by stupid parents and how old i wonder were the boys on the other scooter, nah dont ask !!

I have seen younger on motorbikes Parents need a good flogging for letting those kids on Bikes. They don't know the rules and they break all the rules and this lazy police force just sits by and let them do it. When did they make motorbikes to carry 3 people? 

Okay, so they let 11 or 12 year olds ride motorcycles. But train them, please! It sounds like the girl riding that bike couldn't control it!

Had the same experience when I tried to give a fellow student a riding lesson in Cheshire, UK. It was a 100 cc 2-stroke Kawasaki. He crashed it on a straight road! I was riding pillion... 

As a teacher, I have seen lots of injured M2 girls. Many teeth knocked out, horrific abrasions, arms and legs resembling a pizza... 

Schools should give some training and society needs to either enforce the law or amend it ad allow very young kids to ride with proper training and insurance cover at a much higher rate with parents co-signing etc.

18 hours ago, samsensam said:

indeed; the parents enable, the school ignores, the police can't be bothered and society doesn't care.

This sentence accurately sums up the Thailand of today. It hits the nail on the head and the 'government, police and schools should hang their heads in shame!

4 hours ago, Enki said:

Your school "confiscated" your bicycle? That is theft ... what did your parents do?

Regarding the rest of the thread, I'm embarrassed that people living in Thailand obviously are full with hate about the country. Can you please go home? Can you please leave the forum?

This is a Buddhist country, not a christian one. They all *know*: dying in a motorbike accident is "bad luck".

But unlike the Christian idiots, they *know* they get reborn more or less straight away.

And, to nail it: why are people implying they had no insurance? And how does insurance prevent you from dying if you have an accident?

Yes, they have often bad driving skills. However every farang  I see driving ..... oh, you say riding ... my bad ... a motorbike is even worth.

Thank you for your unnecessary lesson on Thailand. Your knowledge is unlimited. We worship your wisdom! Yada Yada Yada!

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...all underage"?

The age of the pillion riders is irrelevant, only the rider's age matters.

The rider was too immature to understand the road laws in that a motorcycle is permitted to carry only 2 people

2 minutes ago, a977 said:

The rider was too immature to understand the road laws in that a motorcycle is permitted to carry only 2 people

Not to mention the latent directional instability that can occur with that kind of weight essentially over the rear wheel.

Are there school buses in Thailand? Do kids with working parents have to walk 8 miles each way to school? Is that why they are allowed to ride so young? And others ride with the ones who can afford a motorbike? Just wondering.

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bloody stupid brain dead parents, why ohh why allow young children who have no experience, not old enough to ride motorbikes, now you have lost your children due to your own stupidity.

Probable thinking is that because it's just a small engine it's not really a motorbike, it's just a sort of bicycle and only a little bit faster. If you can ride a bicycle then surely you can ride a motorbike sort of thinking, maybe.

Another thing with young inexperienced riders I 've seen when something very minor happens is what I call 'lock up' not the bike, they go into lock up and freeze especially hands on the controls, ie throttle stays open and in many cases the brakes get ignored and feet go down on the road to try to stop the bike as they used to do on a bicycle that had crap or no brakes.

2 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Are there school buses in Thailand? Do kids with working parents have to walk 8 miles each way to school? Is that why they are allowed to ride so young? And others ride with the ones who can afford a motorbike? Just wondering.

Read my post number #31 Mac.............there's always another way.

Archived