English To Thai Dictionary

briley

I'm looking for an English to Thai dictionary that is written in English - if that makes sense!

I want the blurbs and explanations in English, if transliteration is used then transliteration of the Thai word, I can speak a form of English! I'm not looking for a little tourist dictionary as I have outgrown that, but would like a nice sized one with lots of words and, hopefully, some explanations. Something similar to the SeEd's Thai English desktop dictionary.

Does such a dictionary exist - I can't find one in Chiang Mai?

I'm looking for an English to Thai dictionary that is written in English - if that makes sense!

I want the blurbs and explanations in English, if transliteration is used then transliteration of the Thai word, I can speak a form of English! I'm not looking for a little tourist dictionary as I have outgrown that, but would like a nice sized one with lots of words and, hopefully, some explanations. Something similar to the SeEd's Thai English desktop dictionary.

There is one by Benjawan Poomsan Becker which has transliteration. I think it has lots of words. You should have no problems obtaining one in Chiang Mai.

there is a dictionary i found at B2S...i don't know if there is one in Chiang Mai though. Its a phonetic dictionary. it costs about B650.

OK - I'll go back and look for both of those again.

Thanks

I may have not read your post properly - I forgot to mention the dictionary I recommended requires you to be able to read Thai writing for the Thai examples - there is no transcription/transliteration.

If you want to get to the advanced stages of learning Thai, you will have to learn how to read and write sooner or later. It is not as hard as it first seems.

I can read and write Thai hence the need for Transliteration is only of secondary importance, for those odd words with odd pronunciations. However my vocabruary is very limited so explainations etc should be in English

BUT

I spent two hours today back in DK, Surawong, B2S as well as Geko and other 2nd hand book shops to limited success.

No books by Benjawan Poomsan Becker,

The only Oxford Eng Thai dictionary was the river something version and designed for Thai speakers - and had the wrong ISBN.

In the end got the Jumbo English Thai dictionary by Gordon Allison at 195 Baht but it isn't as big (in the number of words) as I would like - about 10,000 words.

Thanks for all the help.

Thai-English English-Thai Dictionary for Non-Thai Speakers, Revised Edition (Paperback)

# by: B.P. Becker

# Paperback: 658 pages

# Publisher: Paiboon Publishing; Revised edition (January 1, 2002)

# ISBN-10: 1887521143

# ISBN-13: 978-1887521147

I've seen this book in many bookshops.

Isn't it possible just to order this book in a bookshop in Chiang-Mai?

Or maybe you know a friend in BKK that could send it to you?

You could also order it on the internet (425B).

I have no experience with this online shop

http://www.dco.co.th/product_info.php?products_id=339

Edited by kriswillems