400K Baht for Marriage Extension

This year I am planning to change from income to 400K in the bank for the annual extension based on marriage.

I understand that you don't have to show the source of the funds (overseas transfers) for this because I am using some Baht I already had here which has been transferred into a new account only for the extension, been increasing the balance using transferwise into my everyday Thai acc then moving some into the new acc (GBP>THB fx rate is low and volatile at the moment, so have been spreading it a bit), If the rate is ok will transfer the rest early next month (or possibly use some gold if the fx rate crashes).

So I wanted to check when can I start spending the 400K? after the application day, or have to wait until extension is approved?

Also can you usually get the bank letter while you wait or does it need ordering in advance. Krungsri/ Ayudhya, Phuket. - thanks.

• Like 1

Last year when I used the 400K in the bank method, the immigration officer at Chaeng Wattana told me that I could start using the money right after the initial extension appointment, but she said "not too much." I guess they're worried about people who borrow the money to get their extensions, and pay it back before the 30 day result has been approved. So basically, keep most of the money in your account, but it's all right to spend some of it. Last year I transferred the money into my account just before the 60 day seasoning period, I think doing that raised some suspicion. 

I was also told (Hua Hin) to keep the $ level up with minimal use of the funds for the month during the consideration period. What this amounts to basically is that the seasoning is 3 months for the majority of the funds. Only because of some asshats trying to play the system, it being so typical that a 'few' mess it up for the many. The days for these 'few' may be numbered though... 

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

I have always starting withdrawing my monthly budget of 60,000 baht per month straight after the application, no issues.

Just make sure the money is in the account 3 months before you apply.

I always wait at the bank for the letter, last time it took an hour and 5 minutes and I was first in the que, what a waste of time as immigration was 40 minutes.

Its also advisable to withdraw say 500 baht on the day you apply, i.e. day after the bank letter and get your savings account updated, then photocopy it twice for immigration.

Best of luck, should be a breeze.

At my small Krungsri Bank branch in Phuket I have to ask for my bank letter and bank statement one day in advance.  The signed and stamped letter and statement are then ready to be picked up by me at open of business the next day.  From there I go to the immigration office.  I suspect that the issue at my branch is that the manager (whoever signs my letter) only likes to do so once a day and by making the customer come back the next day it's guaranteed to be signed and ready to go without waiting.  It's not a great feature of my branch, but it is the closest to where I live so is convenient.

By contrast, when I used to get my letter and statement from the large Bangkok Bank branch (Rat-U-Thit) it was while you wait.  Sometimes pretty quick sometimes a 30-minute wait for it to be signed.  In terms of actual, waiting time the Krungsri system actually takes less time, but it requires two trips (but it's convenient to where I live).

I guess what I'm saying is don't be too surprised if it takes overnight to get your letter and statement.  I go 30-45 days in advance of my actual expiration to apply for my retirement extension, so these little hiccups are of no concern.

Thanks for replies.

Would be nice to start using the 400K after application, but not much of a problem. Suppose I will just follow whatever they say on the day of application.

I can visit any Phuket branch of Krungsri, so maybe the larger branches would do same day (inside central maybe?), which would be easier as I could be at immigration first thing the following day without picking up the letter first.

Does Phuket have a main branch of Krungsri?

If I withdraw 500Baht on the day of application, won't that be a problem if balance now does not match the letter produced a day or so earlier?

Went to CW in Dec and I was told by the officer to bring back my updated bankbook after the 30 days and that the 400k should still be in the account. When I went back last week for the approval extension, I was told to hand over my passport, original bank book, and copies of my bank book. The person checked that I had updated the bank book earlier that day (so withdraw or deposit a small amount on the actual day if possible). To play things safe, I would try to keep at least 400k in the account until after the extension is approved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I was also told (Hua Hin) to keep the $ level up with minimal use of the funds for the month during the consideration period. What this amounts to basically is that the seasoning is 3 months for the majority of the funds. Only because of some asshats trying to play the system, it being so typical that a 'few' mess it up for the many. The days for these 'few' may be numbered though... 

Two groups are being targeted:

1. A 400K Baht 2-mo loan is cheaper than agents in the areas where they are doing this - figure 25K - 1900 Baht ~=23K.  They figure adding another month or two by breaking their own rules will get those people back on the agent-gravy-train.
  2. Too many in-person applicants, so those who need to start spending that money sooner are forced to agents.

Bottom line - you had 400K for 2 mo - you followed the rules - end of story.  We are talking about Thai families who have already been put through the wringer to "re-prove" their relationship is valid every year.  The IOs ordering this (not the front-line guys) are (colorful adjective)s of the worst kind.

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have always starting withdrawing my monthly budget of 60,000 baht per month straight after the application, no issues.

Just make sure the money is in the account 3 months before you apply.

I always wait at the bank for the letter, last time it took an hour and 5 minutes and I was first in the que, what a waste of time as immigration was 40 minutes.

Its also advisable to withdraw say 500 baht on the day you apply, i.e. day after the bank letter and get your savings account updated, then photocopy it twice for immigration.

Best of luck, should be a breeze.

Withdraw on the day a small sum , yes but I was also told to make a small payment in too by Sakon Nakhon IO. So first I deposit 1,000 then take it out at the machines outside then go in to the BB  main SN branch ,which is a short drive from the IO,, and ask them to update the passbook, kindly photocopy the updated  page, which they always have, and for the letter. Do not use a mall branch, they haven't a clue.  I have always seasoned the money for 3 months prior ,even for a "marriage " extension and never been asked to show the passbook updated at the end of the under consideration period, and started using the money immediately after lodging the application and paperwork, once for a very large amount to build a wall. I don't know if you only showed seasoned for 2 months prior whether they would check again. Picking up the extension has always been very quick, rather annoying that  it's 2 1/2 hour drive each way for that 2nd visit.

That was last, and previous years, for various reasons, this year I went to Savanakhet consulate and got a non immigrant O multiple entry backed by evidence of marriage. No financials, no need for wife to be with me, no photos in home, no written statement from village chief. No further to drive, but border crossing and 2 nights in Savanakhet which I enjoyed. Now of course limited to 90 days a stay though. And to start again if that option is either withdrawn or requirements changed or I want/ need to stay longer than 90 days at a time

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alphason said:

If I withdraw 500Baht on the day of application, won't that be a problem if balance now does not match the letter produced a day or so earlier?

As long as you have a little above the 400k in the bank and the withdrawal doesn't go under the 400k, your ok.

I use Sakon Nakhon IO as well, never had an issue withdrawing money straight after I submit my application, the boys there are ok, although if your paperwork is a little out, they will ask for a campaign donation....lol, or you can drive 3 hours return to sort it, or they can for a little sweetener ????

On 1/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

There have been reports of immigration checking that it is still in the bank as part of the approval process.

Indeed.
Immigration Official told me, a few months ago, to leave the money in the savings account until the end of approval process
and, moreover, to make sure no bank charges are made that would cause a below 400K balance .

• Like 1