"Rent a dowry" - Thais' way to "Keep Face" and "Keep up with the Joneses"

webfact

I've been renting myself out as the scruffy foreigner for a while - you know, the one who wanders in and you have to pay to go away. Find a single guest who actually hates the bride or the groom, or either of their parents - a previous boyfriend or a big brother or something, and Roberts your father's brother.

And profitable it is - yep. A scratching fit or two close to the best man and away you go....

5 hours ago, GeoMill said:

Many farang rent their girlfriends... why is this any diffrent? ????

It's women who eliminated all other methods. You pay one way or another. No woman alive fails to demand payment in some form... May as well go the easy, simple, cheap way.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, from the home of CC said:

Sad that perception is everything and not just here. In Canada many people live paycheck to paycheck just so they can have the outward trappings of success. IMHO having a contented happy heart is priceless. 

Unfortunately, it seems to be a global problem. Image is more important than content to a lot of people nowadays, especially the younger ones who want to be seen but can't afford it. 

We are constantly being exposed to new, shiny things with subliminal messages that these objects will make us more attractive, sexier, more sophisticated, etc. Difficult to resist. 

Honestly, I think it's a great business idea. I can see how it would appeal to lots of people here. 

I just wonder what kind of insurance/deposit the lenders take from their clients. They are, after all, handing over a wad of cash and a high-end luxury car. 

Morons, just have a few stacks of cut up newspaper with a nice crisp 1000 bht note at each end and the money they'd save would take care of the alcohol bill.

Maybe you haven’t been to a Thai wedding or paid attention to the fact they typically fan out the money to eliminate the question of real or not.

Its not new, thais have been doing this a long time, it was actually reported on here last year or year befor. Ive always believed, unless liquid like Branson and co, the rich tend not to show it off. Besides a few million dosnt make you look good when you are living in a wooden shack in nakon beyond

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Its not new, thais have been doing this a long time, it was actually reported on here last year or year befor. Ive always believed, unless liquid like Branson and co, the rich tend not to show it off. Besides a few million dosnt make you look good when you are living in a wooden shack in nakon beyond

I agree with this especially when talking about expats, the richest expats I've met are ones who don't talk about money and all the things they've bought or done and are generally quite down to earth people. 

And it was only after getting to know them first you realise, damn this guy must have a lot of money without them having to tell you that they're really rich.

It's easy to act rich in places like Thailand and Cambodia to the locals, but any half-educated westerner can see through it, the amounts of people you encounter in the bars who talk crap and act like their millionaires is remarkable. 

Archived