SMASHED! Pattaya Expats drink everyone else under the table, new survey reveals

webfact

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Half a litre of 25% = 2.5 litres of beer @ 5% or half bottle of spirit A DAY. Too much wise Mr Owl. You will not be seeing anything soon.

Can't fault the maths wg. Now that you have brought it to my attention I'm gonna cut down considerably. Can't drink less, 'cause I have my routine, so I'm gonna lower the alcohol %, maybe by half. See how we go on that.

I've just measured my height and it's almost 1.95. This is the tallest I've ever been. A few months back, the wife said I was getting taller, but I took no notice (how would you know I thought?). But this past year has seen significant changes. Now is that down to the Reishi alone or the delicate blend of mushroom and Lao Khow? investigations are in order. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Foreign expats probably spend a great deal more money than anyone else too, supporting the local economy. While we sometimes see stories of drunk tourists, the expats, who do drink a fair bit, generally seem to be able to handle it a lot better than some locals I have seen staggering about, pissed like the proverbial newt.

You mustn't have seen me yet.

4 hours ago, KKr said:

although the recipe sounds horrible, mushroom and garlic, yuk, no wonder you barely manage a glass a day, I'll try that,
maybe I get to 19.4 cm as well .

I think you need help KKr. Hope to get to 19.4cm! How small are you now? Do people constantly trip over you? Get with the mushroom wine ASAP.

Unless it's your manhood you are on about. In which case 'Respect'.

I drink only on a Saturday and then at most 5/6 beers when I go out and watch footie. I do sometime reel when I go out early/mid morning and see many expats sat outside shops etc drinking beer and who are still there when I return maybe 3 or 4 hours later. I can't see the point in that really. My 5-beers are something I look forward to but then I have never been a great drinker.

49 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

In which case 'Respect'.

it is never to late to give up hope,
even if it involves a mushroom and garlic concoction, who knows ...
will keep you posted in case it helps.
Maybe I'll need advice concerning backache by that time as well ...

6 minutes ago, KKr said:

it is never to late to give up hope,
even if it involves a mushroom and garlic concoction, who knows ...
will keep you posted in case it helps.
Maybe I'll need advice concerning backache by that time as well ...

I'm no great expert on the 'backache' wink, wink, nudge, nudge, stakes. But Professor Pigeon says to raise the feet end of the bed about 15cm. This is the perfect slope for the farang and his gal. To avoid the dreaded backache.

15 minutes ago, rtco said:

I drink only on a Saturday and then at most 5/6 beers when I go out and watch footie. I do sometime reel when I go out early/mid morning and see many expats sat outside shops etc drinking beer and who are still there when I return maybe 3 or 4 hours later. I can't see the point in that really. My 5-beers are something I look forward to but then I have never been a great drinker.

Personally I only drink on days that end in a  y

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Been here 15+ years.

Have 2 large Changs EVERY evening at the end of the day on my balcony.

That's 14 bottles a week.

And a beer with my lunch on the odd occasions i go out into town.

Your point is?

Do you "spray" from your balcony afterwards - doing your bit to keep down the pollution? 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Problem is mostly that a lifestyle that includes enough physical activity not works well with drinking beer. Though for sure a few pull it off doing a lot of sports and drinking. Most choose one of the two. Either being physical active or drinking. 

I understand how people feel, trying to not drink any bad stuff myself (think sugary drinks) but its hard. I limit myself to one glas a day. Maybe my liking of a sugary drink is the same as the desire others have to drink beer. Sometimes you just feel like it.

Rob - You appear to be consumed with exercise. One of those guys that has to be at the gym 6 or 7 days a week and watching every single calorie that goes into their body. That's a bit of an addiction as well. If you spend 10 or more hours in a gym each week will that expand your life by more than 10 hours? Questionable.

When you say "physical activity" I'm sure you mean exercise. There are a lot of folks with manual jobs that exert a huge amount of physical activity during the day and I'd venture to say those folks are far stronger than the folks who live at the gym. I'm sure a lot of those folks like to crack open a beer or two after getting home each day. 

Do you carry a gallon jug of water around with you at the gym? I've seen so many of those lunks. Then they end up walking out of the gym with their gallon jug 3/4 full. Who needs to drink a gallon of water during a 60 - 90 minute workout? No one. They aren't sweating that much. Just trying to look like, well I'm not sure what. Like the rest of the lunks I guess.   

Some folks handle their liquor quite well and there are folks from certain countries (Ireland and Germany come to mind) that seem to have a different metabolism that allows them to drink a lot more than others with fewer effects. 

Lighten up and let folks that want to drink do so unless you want folks to comment on your obsession with exercise. You can over-do that as well not to mention missing out a lot of other things in life.

6 hours ago, KKr said:

although the recipe sounds horrible, mushroom and garlic, yuk, no wonder you barely manage a glass a day, I'll try that,
maybe I get to 19.4 cm as well .

He was talking about his height I think not the length of his appendage.  If it would increase that then a lot of Pattaya expats would be brewing it!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thaivisa survey has showed showed that almost a third of Pattaya expats have a beer every single day. 

Beer Is Heart-Healthy. Huge studies have found a 25 percent lower risk of heart disease in people who drink from one-half to two drinks daily, compared to abstainers. And alcoholic beverages that are rich in polyphenols — think beer! — may be especially good for the heart, according to a 2012 research review.

So a third of Pattaya expats are considering their health!!!

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

better to drink yourself to death in hot weather surrounded by lovely young prostitutes than back home in the local talking about how cold it is and going home to fat mess of a wife

For the 35 years I have been in Thailand I have worked as a consultant or run my on business. If you are not gainfully employed it is easy to get addicted to sitting around all day and drinking yourself  to death. I know several people who went that way.  I closed my food businesses in Samui, Phuket and Bangkok and moved to a small farm in Chiang Rai. At 85 I can stay busy but less than before. With two commercial fish ponds and lots of pumps to maintain I don't have a lot of time to do other things. I have written on book and am on my second. At my age drinking is not much fun anymore. I do miss my family in the USA. We talk on Apple Facetime frequently. Not much night life in Chiang Rai.

10 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Rob - You appear to be consumed with exercise. One of those guys that has to be at the gym 6 or 7 days a week and watching every single calorie that goes into their body. That's a bit of an addiction as well. If you spend 10 or more hours in a gym each week will that expand your life by more than 10 hours? Questionable.

When you say "physical activity" I'm sure you mean exercise. There are a lot of folks with manual jobs that exert a huge amount of physical activity during the day and I'd venture to say those folks are far stronger than the folks who live at the gym. I'm sure a lot of those folks like to crack open a beer or two after getting home each day. 

Do you carry a gallon jug of water around with you at the gym? I've seen so many of those lunks. Then they end up walking out of the gym with their gallon jug 3/4 full. Who needs to drink a gallon of water during a 60 - 90 minute workout? No one. They aren't sweating that much. Just trying to look like, well I'm not sure what. Like the rest of the lunks I guess.   

Some folks handle their liquor quite well and there are folks from certain countries (Ireland and Germany come to mind) that seem to have a different metabolism that allows them to drink a lot more than others with fewer effects. 

Lighten up and let folks that want to drink do so unless you want folks to comment on your obsession with exercise. You can over-do that as well not to mention missing out a lot of other things in life.

You can't imagine how wrong you are again people who like alcohol too much seem to think that others who don't are extreme. I don't count calories but take care about what I eat. 

I actually (unfortunately) stopped training for a 4 months because of sleeping problems and stress so just started again (not so obsessed). So totally contrary to what you think. Again in the mind of beer guzzling people anyone who says anything about must be at the other end of the spectrum. 

I am trying to get back to working out as hard as I used to do but I never went to the gym 6-7 days a week. Too much in my book. I got my own gym at home so water is not a problem just a big jug of water if i need.

I don't care what others do ever since I was young i hated the taste of beer, i drank it to get drunk, never enjoyed it. Guess what I never learned to like coffee too. I must be a freak, unfortunately I do like sweet drinks but try to control it.

In all my post i stated, i could not care less what others did alcohol wise. It seems that people read something in my posts that is not there. I am all for freedom of choice people should do what they want as long as they don't bother others. But it seems that people take offence when you don't join them in the love of alcohol. 

16 hours ago, sean420 said:

Same here I’m a youngster to most people but I drink on average 15 beers a day for last 30 years..I had my liver tested two times last in the last year and both doctors said fine.Im 48

Big bottles or small ?    UK or Thailand ?  Chang or Leo or ?  and why did you have a liver test twice in a year ?

Archived