A few retirement extension questions

Previously I  was extending my "retirement" visa in Pattaya but now I live in Bkk so will be attending at CW in the next week or so. I have copies of  my passport ready and use the 800k baht in bank for 3 months method, so will have the bank letter and bankbook copy. I will also have a map to show where I live.

As I am new to applying at CW my questions are:

1. My 800k is in a fixed deposit and is separate from my savings account. Is showing the fixed deposit details sufficient or do I need to show my savings account too(practice sometimes followed in pattaya)?

2. Do I need to provide a copy of my home rental agreement or copy of 90 day  slip/ or copy of change of address slip?

3. I understand that 5th February is Chinese New Year though immigration is open(?); assuming it is open would that be a good day to go to CW or not?

4. Anything else I should be aware of?

Many thanks for any assistance.

They have been asking for a map recently.

The letter from the bank can be no older than the day before you apply and the bank book must be updated on the day you apply, There are bank branches on the ground floor of the building immigration is in.

1. No need for the other bank book.

2. Yes for the rental agreement. They will want a copy of your 90 day report slip.

3. Yes they are open (not a holiday here). It should be about the same as any other day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been asking for a map recently.

The letter from the bank can be no older than the day before you apply and the bank book must be updated on the day you apply, There are bank branches on the ground floor of the building immigration is in.

1. No need for the other bank book.

2. Yes for the rental agreement. They will want a copy of your 90 day report slip.

3. Yes they are open (not a holiday here). It should be about the same as any other day.

Are the map and rental agreement new requirements? They did not ask for that last July when I did extension. Map is a regular tourist map and I point to my street? Any requirements like certification on rental agreement? Thank you.

4 minutes ago, david_je said:

Are the map and rental agreement new requirements? They did not ask for that last July when I did extension. Map is a regular tourist map and I point to my street? Any requirements like certification on rental agreement? Thank you.

They may not ask for it since it will not be your first extension there.

A hand drawn map from the nearest main road is all that is needed.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They may not ask for it since it will not be your first extension there.

A hand drawn map from the nearest main road is all that is needed.

Did my 7th extension ysesterday. Hand drawn map was required for the first time. Immigration was almost deserted, my number was called as soon as I got the slip. When I finished and was waiting for the boss to sign the extension, the IO on retirement desk was sat the whole time with nothing to do. Maybe this does show that ex-pats are leaving.

• Like 1

I have never been asked to provide proof of address before, when I was in Bangkok & now Chiang Mai. However, last year I had a copy of my GF's blue Tabien Baan & her ID card just in case and a copy of the bottom section of the TM30 she completed when I moved to CM. These were accepted no problem. Main reason for providing her details was that I'm living with her in her family home. This year I now have a yellow tabien baan & pink foreigner ID card, so will be providing copies of those, together with the originals instead of the GF's. Local IO ( only 90 day reports done at the local office) says I won't need copies of her details now that I have my own tabien baan & ID card as they both show address.

Ubonjoe, I'd clarify the use of the term "updated" relevant to bank passbooks, as the Immigration interpretation of the word is vastly different to the english interpretation. The english interpretation just means that all transactions in the account are printed, even if the last one was 6 months ago. On the other hand, Immigration want to see an actual transaction in the bank passbook dated the day of applying for an extension. So the use of the word "updated" in the strictest sense is incorrect. What they actually require is a transaction dated the day of the extension application PLUS the passbook displaying that transaction.  The reason I mention this is that my first 2 extensions done in BKK did NOT require this at all, they only wanted to see that the 800k had been in the account for the required time period. So when I did my first extension in CM, this was the cause of great confusion and it was not until I explained the difference in interpretation to a senior IO that my extension was granted, even though the most recent transaction in the account was 10 months earlier and not within the preceding week. Last year that preceding week was reduced to the day of the extension and I was unaware of the change. Thankfully I knew one of the senior IO's through golf, and he let it slide, but told me that going forward the transaction had to be the same day as the extension. Hopefully this year no new changes that I'm unaware of. Will be going in at least 1 month early this year, just in case there are any hitches. 

Edited by TigerandDog

7 hours ago, david_je said:

You will need a map. I got asked for one at CW November first time in 7 years. Don't think google maps and you pointing to it best idea. My condo had a flyer with address and good size map. You can draw one. 

Since you have moved you already should have done TM 28 and 30.

You need to show your lease from new condo. Photocopy because they take it.

Typical.  I got handed a list of requirement for the 0 retirement Visa.  When I arrived, some items on the list they did not take or want.  Others such as a map were not on the list but require.  It is Immigration  rules DuJour. 

When I did my extension yesterday, in Ratchaburi, they had a new form you had to fill out.  It was about what will happen to you if you overstay.  They gave me an extra copy so I could have it filled out in advance next year.

18 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Did my 7th extension ysesterday. Hand drawn map was required for the first time. Immigration was almost deserted, my number was called as soon as I got the slip. When I finished and was waiting for the boss to sign the extension, the IO on retirement desk was sat the whole time with nothing to do. Maybe this does show that ex-pats are leaving.

Was a rental agreement or some such also required this time? If so, did it need to be in any certain format, etc.? Thanks.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:22 AM, asiaexpat said:

They may also ask for a copy of your TM30, as they did last month with me.

Isn't that typically crazy. They just need to put your passport into the reader and there is your 90 day report details, your TM30, and everything else about you.

And WHY a hand drawn map, you could draw anything, how would they know unless they looked it up ON GOOGLE MAPS. (Does Google Maps work on Windows 7 ?)

Edited by wgdanson

On 2/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, wgdanson said:

Isn't that typically crazy. They just need to put your passport into the reader and there is your 90 day report details, your TM30, and everything else about you.

And WHY a hand drawn map, you could draw anything, how would they know unless they looked it up ON GOOGLE MAPS. (Does Google Maps work on Windows 7 ?)

In my case they used the house location map for the home visit.

3 marriage extensions and 3 home visits.

One of the visiting IOs said they already knew exactly where the house was from previous visits!!

Maybe it's just a "test" to see if you really know where you live!!!

re: bank book updating.

i have a dedicated bangkok bank fixed account for the retirement funds.  (ensures i don't accidentally pull too much from the atm)

transfer cash from other accounts online 3-1/2 months before, get an update done at any mall bank.  i'll get another update at the mall sometime during the 3-month period.  on extension day, get the bank letter downstairs at CW and the passbook updated at the same time.

IO only has three entries in the book to compare, no other transactions.  so far they haven't asked about living expenses.  if so, i have two savings accounts for daily expenses.  then i can go home, go online and move the cash to other accounts.  (yeah, i know, new rules....)