Thai immigration considers forcing some retirees to show 800k in bank EVERY THREE MONTHS: report

webfact

10 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Ok, Guys.

Hands up if you still feel like a guest today  :cheesy:

Feel that love train. :jap:

Perhaps it's the thin end of a long-ish wedge... but... 'never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity'.

Courtesy of Napoleon Bonaparte

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sumrit said:

And for those on here who are totally legal but, by their posts, seem to support those who have been using an illegal route, I don't understand, why would you want to support them??? It is their illegal actions that have forced Thai Immigration to start to tighten things up and make it more difficult for the rest of us.

It is the corrupt IO's and agents that 'may' cause this change. Get the word 'corrupt'.

Do you think I want to go and do 5 additional trips to Immigration a year and instead of spending down my 400K and then top it up once a year? This is not good for me. I don't make 40K a month, so the 400K is the only method I can use. Lock money up for a year so I cannot spend it down to support my wife makes like zero sense to me. I have been here 10 years and live a good life on 30K a month. I have health insurance, make no problems but now they are wanting me to add more when I support one of there citizens? It is <deleted> crazy! If this goes through, it is madness in the chicken house. 

If they did not have a corrupt system, this would not be a bother but they do and they will not be able to stamp it out as it is just too prevalent in the system. I get three different answers everytime I go to Immigration. Nothing is ever the same. Always something different or added paperwork. 

No, this is just getting too nutso now.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You are forgetting the bank letter needed for extension are you not ?

The bank letter only confirms you have a valid account, it doesn't show details. It's your bank book/statement which the IO uses to show the details of money flowing through the account.

People can say what they want!  It is a money grab plain and simple. The transfer of wealth from you to me. Billion of dollars now guaranteed in the bank for long term use????  Personally IMO they should of waited a few years to implement it to soften the blow. But, now that it is being bantered around. It will be implemented in the near futrue.

I feel for the guys that have painted themselves in a corner here. 

Kinda of a go fund Thailand on a massive scale.. haha

Thai immigration considers forcing some retirees to show 800k in bank EVERY THREE MONTHS: report

I think the key word is some. If you are one that has maintained a substantial balance in your bankbook and it doesn't show that money is deposited right before you apply for an extension and then withdraw it the next day, I don't think you will be one of the chosen few that will have to show proof every 90 Days. If your history shows you deposit and then withdraw constantly around extension time, I believe you will become a candidate for further scrutiny.  

3 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Do you think I want to go and do 5 additional trips to Immigration a year and instead of spending down my 400K and then top it up once a year? This is not good for me. I don't make 40K a month, so the 400K is the only method I can use. Lock money up for a year so I cannot spend it down to support my wife makes like zero sense to me. I have been here 10 years and live a good life on 30K a month.

I didn't suggest you must also show 40k pm. I lot of foreigners live here on less than 30k pm. Keeping 400k in the bank and showing 30k pm living expenses would be more than adequate. 

Is it also possible that Immigration wants to charge the 1900 application fee baht 4 times a year? 

Quite a few people I've spoken to are considering moving if they haven't already.  With the pollution and difficult immigration laws, the number of long term expats will decrease which means many many more empty condos, defaulted mortgages and consequently, possible bank failures.

Just now, ChouDoufu said:

how will this drive out the corruption and the use of agents?  i'd expect the opposite.

now some gots to visit the agent 3-4 more times a year to get their 800k seasoned.

Wow that could add up in a hurry. 

2 hours ago, ocddave said:

I think ultimately, people are just going to leave, the constant ever-changing hassles will be too overwhelming.

Great!

Those without money and non qualifiers should go no free ride in Thailand.

Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos good options..

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

how will this drive out the corruption and the use of agents?  i'd expect the opposite.

now some gots to visit the agent 3-4 more times a year to get their 800k seasoned.

Not if they had to visit immigration in person and couldn't take an agent with them.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Great!

Those without money and non qualifiers should go no free ride in Thailand.

Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos good options..

You are a ray of sunshine here bkk6060. haha

10 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I think the key word is some. If you are one that has maintained a substantial balance in your bankbook and it doesn't show that money is deposited right before you apply for an extension and then withdraw it the next day, I don't think you will be one of the chosen few that will have to show proof every 90 Days. If your history shows you deposit and then withdraw constantly around extension time, I believe you will become a candidate for further scrutiny.  

Please keep your voice down !  LOL  You are correct sir.

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Feel that love from Thailand to its foreign ex-pats supporting Thai people on many levels.. :bah: 

Ps.  Nice job Uk  government, look what you started. :bah:

liars on declarations started it, you only have yourselves to blame

3 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

Is it also possible that Immigration wants to charge the 1900 application fee baht 4 times a year? 

Quite a few people I've spoken to are considering moving if they haven't already.  With the pollution and difficult immigration laws, the number of long term expats will decrease which means many many more empty condos, defaulted mortgages and consequently, possible bank failures.

Well, expats cannot get a mortgage.

Nice try.

Anymore doom and gloom ideas??

Has anyone not noticed the word "some" in the topic title.

My guess would be that, if you go to your local immigration office, have bank books and letters from your local bank, go to the office in person to do your extension and have been doing a TM30 and 90 day reports yourself, then you should be OK and will not be included in the "some retirees".

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

My 800kB is in a time deposit here and has been for many years. I get around 2% interest and every year I claim the 15% withholding tax back.

How do you do that? I've never known about it.

I am afraid I must disagree with you. it is a great idea. like Thai visa elite. you can afford it or you can't.

Thais think of everything as status and class.

Thai visa elite first class.
800k baht in the bank year round second class.
income and mixed income and savings third class.

you want to ride third class on a train in Thailand during April with no A/C and a rooster on your lap?  Up to you.

And for all the people who say "I could do this or that with the money" it means you can't afford to meet the requirements.

Utter nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived