Proof on Income Extension Thai wife - Prachinburi

I was doing a 90 day report at Prachinburi Immigration and wanted to discuss my extension renewal (to support a Thai wife) in March. I was there is December at that time the proof of income supplied by the UK embassy was ending mid December and as the Immigration told me that they would only accept the letter for 3 months (less was seen as much better), it was not an option for me. So I transferred 400+KTHB in to my Thai bank in Jan 19.

I was told this morning:

1. it needs to season for 3 months - this is new if its true 

2. The seasons money is to remain in the bank an extra 3 months after the extension is issued (6 months in total), she said it was the new requirement, I also see the other post on here saying you may have to show it every 90 days. 

3. That newly opened bank account wont be accepted and she said my mine might be a problem I created it Nov 18.  - never heard of it before 

I suspect these measures are to try and get round the "agents" supporting the financials in how they process extensions.   

Now, I'm going back next week with my supporting documents and will discuss it further.

Any documented help would be useful. 

1. It is only 2 months for an extension based upon marriage. The 3 months is for retirement extensions.

2. There is no such requirement. But it may need to be in the bank during the underconsideration period you will get a stamp  for when your application is accepted.

3. I have never heard of such a requirement. The only reason it could not be accepted is if it was an account that does not allow immediate withdrawals without any penalty other than loss of interest.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

3. That newly opened bank account wont be accepted and she said my mine might be a problem I created it Nov 18.  - never heard of it before 

Is it a savings or Fixed deposit or current account, all of which are ok? Is it solely in your name ie not a joint account with your wife? The only other issue maybe she is considering the seasoning requirement... she told you 3 months, I believe it should be two. But obviously in her view, being new, money cannot be sufficiently seasoned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Is it a savings or Fixed deposit or current account, all of which are ok? Is it solely in your name ie not a joint account with your wife? The only other issue maybe she is considering the seasoning requirement... she told you 3 months, I believe it should be two. But obviously in her view, being new, money cannot be sufficiently seasoned.

Yes its Kasikorn saving account. She was only interested in the date it was opened. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Its a savings account, in my name. She had it in her mind it was three months, and checked the dates very carefully. I think it was new to her.  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

1. It is only 2 months for an extension based upon marriage. The 3 months is for retirement extensions.

2. There is no such requirement. But it may need to be in the bank during the underconsideration period you will get a stamp  for when your application is accepted.

3. I have never heard of such a requirement. The only reason it could not be accepted is if it was an account that does not allow immediate withdrawals without any penalty other than loss of interest.

Thanks Joe, pretty much as i thought,

1. I've printed the visa extension requirement (for Thai wife) from the Thai Imm website, where it clears states 2 months for a Thai wife.

2. Yes agreed, I think she was confused

3. Its a regular savings account not strange about it.

I have some time so I'll work with the them.

2 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Thanks Joe, pretty much as i thought,

1. I've printed the visa extension requirement (for Thai wife) from the Thai Imm website, where it clears states 2 months for a Thai wife.

2. Yes agreed, I think she was confused

3. Its a regular savings account not strange about it.

I have some time so I'll work with the them.

BTW for 2020 I told her I wanted to use monthly income (coming from overseas), she said that was fine and only needed my bank book showing the deposits. 

• Thanks 1

I do my extension and 90 days too at Prachinburi ( don't like so much, they are very strict ) , could you ask them, when you return, if the new rules on march 1st apply to people who have the 800000 bahts in a fixed account ( not saving ) ,  for us we have the money all the year around, but for the 400000 bahts, do we need to have them all the time in a saving account ? 

Thanks !

To Ubon Joe 

Ref: Nothing has changed it you can still get proof of income from your embassy. They will still be accepted! over 21 hrs ago

Could you clarify this comment?  Are you saying that Proof of Income can still be obtained by one's embassy? For example (USA) currently has terminated Income Affidavits but now offer a Blank Sworn Statement form for any purpose!!! With the new Immigration, Police Order is that reversing an earlier requirement decision regarding Embassies and Income Affidavits??

1 hour ago, PaceArrow said:

Could you clarify this comment?  Are you saying that Proof of Income can still be obtained by one's embassy? For example (USA) currently has terminated Income Affidavits but now offer a Blank Sworn Statement form for any purpose!!! With the new Immigration, Police Order is that reversing an earlier requirement decision regarding Embassies and Income Affidavits??

There was never a decision to not accept income proof from an embassy. It is even mentioned in the amendment to police order 138/2557.

image.png.6527a2a80828811d878409f022210fc7.png

I am not sure the embassy will let you to do the blank affidavit to confirm your income. And I think immigration probably would not accept it.

I also use Prachinburi Imm. Was there yesterday and asked them if fixed deposit account could be used instead of savings account (for 800K method but should be same for 400K). The woman I spoke with said she did not know....which was not at all helpful.  She was fairly young, with long (i.e. shoulder length or a little below) hair and glasses, a bit thin.   I had not seen here there before  so I suspect new. @colinchaffers is this by any chance whom you dealt with?

I plan to ask again if I have the chance to talk to one of the  older staff.   Otherwise I can't dare risk putting my 800K in a FD account, which would be my preference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Update: called in Prachinburi imm for a document check priory to my extension submission (for Thai wife). She confirmed the financial as £400k for 6 months, 2 before submission, 1 month under consideration, 3 months after the extension issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I assume you meant 400k baht not pounds. That is total nonsense. There is no such requirement to keep the the 400k baht in the bank any longer than 2 months before and possibley during the under consideration period.

• Like 1

I had heard before that fixed accounts were OK  as the money is always immediately available.  You will just lose some interest if you take it out early. As always in Thailand,  it depends on who you talk to. It's hard to get a definitive straight answer. 

I also use Prachinburi Imm. Was there yesterday and asked them if fixed deposit account could be used instead of savings account (for 800K method but should be same for 400K). The woman I spoke with said she did not know....which was not at all helpful.  She was fairly young, with long (i.e. shoulder length or a little below) hair and glasses, a bit thin.   I had not seen here there before  so I suspect new. @colinchaffers is this by any chance whom you dealt with?

I plan to ask again if I have the chance to talk to one of the  older staff.   Otherwise I can't dare risk putting my 800K in a FD account, which would be my preference.

I think I know who your talking about. I think she is only an administrator, although she gave me the information that started off this post a few weeks ago.

Today I spoke to the lady boss at the back who seemed to know what she was talking about. For me the extra time is not an issue, but not convenient and next year I’m using the “income” method.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I assume you meant 400k baht not pounds. That is total nonsense. There is no such requirement to keep the the 400k baht in the bank any longer than 2 months before and possibley during the under consideration period.

Thanks Joe, I’m can manage the extra time this extension and will use the income method next time, this not a battle worth fighting, but it only goes to underline the difference between each office.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I just love how the different immigration offices are reading/interpreting the recent rules changes differently....even when none of the new rules affected certain extension methods like the marriage extension income requirements.  OR, we are just having miscommunications between the person asking the questions and the immigration official.   

image.png.21c97e8ce2b9df37ddeedcf03d22be96.png

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, how241 said:

I had heard before that fixed accounts were OK  as the money is always immediately available.  You will just lose some interest if you take it out early. As always in Thailand,  it depends on who you talk to. It's hard to get a definitive straight answer. 

That is because implementation varies from region to region. As for Jomtiem, Fixed Deposits, Foreign Currency deposits along with the more standard Current and Savings accounts will qualify. More rural you get, things can get interpreted differently. Not always more stringent though.

You just have to be really friendly, polite (near obsequious) sometimes to get what you want. Just did that at the revenue office and promised her some chocs if I got a tax refund! [emoji16]
Agreed, last time I went there I gave them a English lesson, which they were really pleased with, this time when I walked in the lady boss, said Khun Colin and waved me to her desk jumping a que of 10 people or so. I'm going in the right direction, it's one reason I don't want to make any issue this time, as I can manage it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I submitted my extension for a Thai wife today. Nothing changed in the usual documentation (Joes list).

For this year I’m using the lump sum method, the requirement is to hold 400kTHB for 2 months prior, 1 month under consideration and 3 months after the extension. They will check this has been met at the next extension.

For next year I’m using the income method, they told me the requirement was a monthly (12x) income from aboard of 40kTHB, the new part is they expect a monthly balance of 40kTHB to be maintained, not the end of the world but annoying. They will check by a bank statement with bank stamp.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect