Now even a Certificate of Residency is a tough call

OP (Rod), think I'm in similar situation. Lived in Los on retirement extensions for several years. Never done a 90 day report as I fly out los every couple weeks. Lived in same condo since arrive Thailand bkk. For my extensions, never been asked for tm30. Never needed change of address tm28. etc....so my problem. I need CofR. Car licence planned. Now recently AU embassy has decided they won't issue SD to endorse residence. 

Any ideas.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP (Rod), think I'm in similar situation. Lived in Los on retirement extensions for several years. Never done a 90 day report as I fly out los every couple weeks. Lived in same condo since arrive Thailand bkk. For my extensions, never been asked for tm30. Never needed change of address tm28. etc....so my problem. I need CofR. Car licence planned. Now recently AU embassy has decided they won't issue SD to endorse residence. 

Any ideas.

Dr Jack (and Fusion58), I am maybe lucky the UK Embassy is still issuing SD for Residency, and I obtained mine this morning very easily for TB2,150. If your Embassy will not issue a SD, then maybe you have to do a 90 day report, pay any fine due and then go through due process with an Agent. I seem to remember I paid the agent around 3k last time, but doubtless a lack of pocket money has driven the price upwards. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, namatjira said:

While on the topic of certificate of residency, does anyone know how long they are valid for ?

IO told me 3 months,  but I think she just made that up on the spot as she would not accept that my 4 month old one was still valid. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:
15 hours ago, namatjira said:

While on the topic of certificate of residency, does anyone know how long they are valid for ?

Usually 30 days

Mine have always been valid for the duration of my visa.

13 minutes ago, dsj said:

That's why I went to get my yellow book, it wasn't that difficult of a process, and now I just give them a copy of it and never have to worry about going to my embassy or immigration for CoR.

dsj if you don't mind what does getting the yellow book involve? I have asked two locals recently who tut for a long time and utter "difficult....." without expanding?

1 hour ago, dsj said:

That's why I went to get my yellow book, it wasn't that difficult of a process, and now I just give them a copy of it and never have to worry about going to my embassy or immigration for CoR.

Do people bow or curtsy when you present your yellow book?

To be honest I’ve never heard so much smugness when people rabbit on about yellow books . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Rod the Sod said:

dsj if you don't mind what does getting the yellow book involve? I have asked two locals recently who tut for a long time and utter "difficult....." without expanding?

I wrote up this document for the process that I had to follow here in Hua Hin.  It might be different depending on where you live and your local government offices.

YellowBookProcess.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rod the Sod said:

The tutting is all about how much will you grease my palm with for vouching for you at the local Amphur office. 

Edited by Andycoops
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

yellow book was very easy, just had to fill out the forms provided and show proof of where I lived, my wife was the proof, Just make sure you have several months left on your visa, there was something my wife  said about being here over 5 years as well but it saves having to get a coa and has a few other benefits for me as well

No apparent changes here at my local Immigration Office in Isaan. I had to get a Certificate of Residency so that I could change my Thai driving licence to show my new passport number. My local Driver/Vehicle Centre issued me with a letter requesting a COR which I had to take to my Immigration Office. In return, Immigration issued me with a COR from their computer. Very efficient, no fuss or bother and all for FREE. It is many years since I last did a 90 day notification simply because I regularly travel out of Thailand and always complete an "Arrival/Departure" form. No such request as a yellow book. I have a 1 year retirement visa coupled with a one year multiple re-entry permit so no hassle.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, seajae said:

yellow book was very easy, just had to fill out the forms provided and show proof of where I lived, my wife was the proof, Just make sure you have several months left on your visa, there was something my wife  said about being here over 5 years as well but it saves having to get a coa and has a few other benefits for me as well

I don't think the 5 years is relevant, i got mine about two years ago, and am only on my fifth extension on March 2nd this year, this is in Sattahip so might vary elsewhere!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dsj said:

Yeah, when my wife and I went to register for her blue book after we bought our condo I was too lazy (I admit) to get a yellow book, as it seemed a hassle. Given that the Residency Permit only lasts for 30 days and it took me a month to get the last one from Immigration I might have to reconsider the yellow book myself.

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

Usually 30 days

It depends what it is for. Every time I get one, I scan it and submit a copy. Sometimes the copy is accepted, sometimes not. If two are needed simultaneously, eg. car/mc licences, the original and one copy is ok.

Next time I need one, I use a copy. Mostly it is accepted, for pilots licences, banks, you name it, even sale of m/c, purchase of ???.

I have had copies of two year old Certificates accepted by government departments, no problem.

All that said, Immigration will provide these in Thai or in English on request - it all depends who wants it, and for what....

2 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

Many thanks

Hua Hin is so easy for yellow book & pink card. No fees. Alas, Australian Embassy will no longer do Certificate if Residency so Hua Hin immigration issued one even though like you I had never done a 90 day report. I was in their system, but not in Chaeng Wattana.

1 hour ago, Grusa said:
20 hours ago, jackdd said:

Usually 30 days

It depends what it is for. Every time I get one, I scan it and submit a copy. Sometimes the copy is accepted, sometimes not. If two are needed simultaneously, eg. car/mc licences, the original and one copy is ok.

Next time I need one, I use a copy. Mostly it is accepted, for pilots licences, banks, you name it, even sale of m/c, purchase of ???.

I have had copies of two year old Certificates accepted by government departments, no problem.

All that said, Immigration will provide these in Thai or in English on request - it all depends who wants it, and for what....

The CoR issued by immigration is dated, also the expiry date is on the certificate.

There are no variables..........again, all of mine have been dated to coincide with my visa expiration date.

I have been getting CoR certificates since 2003 when I purchased my first scooter.

Over the years I have been on Tourist visas as I have been working offshore.....so on occasions, I would get a CoR 2 weeks (or whatever) after my tourist visa was issued and it was valid for 2 weeks (or thereabouts). 

No variables - length of visa issued.

18 hours ago, dsj said:

I obtained the yellow book and pink ID card a few years ago thinking it would save obtaining the COR.

Bought a new car a couple of years ago no COR needed accepted the above for registration.

My drivers licence expires next week so along with my Thai wife checked on current requirements at the local office ( we are in Chiang Mai Province)

Told us I can use the yellow book but will only give a licence for 2 years if I want 5 years need the COR.

I learned years ago that arguing only raises my blood pressure so got the local Immigration office to obtain the COR.

Interestingly enough last time I renewed the licence for car and bike they issued them for 6 years, work that one out.

Of course by next week the rules could have changed again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VYCM said:

The CoR issued by immigration is dated, also the expiry date is on the certificate.

There are no variables..........again, all of mine have been dated to coincide with my visa expiration date.

I have been getting CoR certificates since 2003 when I purchased my first scooter.

Over the years I have been on Tourist visas as I have been working offshore.....so on occasions, I would get a CoR 2 weeks (or whatever) after my tourist visa was issued and it was valid for 2 weeks (or thereabouts). 

No variables - length of visa issued.

You are of course 100% correct. Nevertheless, I have had two-year expired certificates accepted! 

You are assuming that anybody cares, bothers or is capable of reading them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1