Now even a Certificate of Residency is a tough call

19 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

No apparent changes here at my local Immigration Office in Isaan. I had to get a Certificate of Residency so that I could change my Thai driving licence to show my new passport number. My local Driver/Vehicle Centre issued me with a letter requesting a COR which I had to take to my Immigration Office. In return, Immigration issued me with a COR from their computer. Very efficient, no fuss or bother and all for FREE. It is many years since I last did a 90 day notification simply because I regularly travel out of Thailand and always complete an "Arrival/Departure" form. No such request as a yellow book. I have a 1 year retirement visa coupled with a one year multiple re-entry permit so no hassle.

Another example of going to your local immigration office and getting the "regulation DeJour" 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, peterb17 said:

Do people bow or curtsy when you present your yellow book?

To be honest I’ve never heard so much smugness when people rabbit on about yellow books . 

Na  Na  Na Nana   I have a Yellow Book  Na Na Na Nana :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:  and you don't!!  I get shet the easy way and you get shet the hard way............damn I crack myself up sometimes.

Edited by TunnelRat69

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I obtained the yellow book and pink ID card a few years ago thinking it would save obtaining the COR.

Bought a new car a couple of years ago no COR needed accepted the above for registration.

My drivers licence expires next week so along with my Thai wife checked on current requirements at the local office ( we are in Chiang Mai Province)

Told us I can use the yellow book but will only give a licence for 2 years if I want 5 years need the COR.

I learned years ago that arguing only raises my blood pressure so got the local Immigration office to obtain the COR.

Interestingly enough last time I renewed the licence for car and bike they issued them for 6 years, work that one out.

Of course by next week the rules could have changed again.

.............an extra year for doing it right (in their eyes)  Peace.

I have both a yellow book & pink ID card. Since receiving ( am living in CM ) have produced both, especially for drivers license renewal, and have never been asked for a CoR.   TunnelRat69, check the expiry date of your license. Does it coincide with your birthday? Usually when Thai drivers licenses are renewed the expiry date is set to coincide with your birthday. In my case I got an extra 6 months. The fact that you got an extra year would indicate to me that you renewed your license not long after your birthday, so instead of giving you 5 years from the renewal date, they extended it out to your next birthday after the 5 years was due to expire. A very common practice with DLT. I have many farang friends in CM, Krabi & BKK who have all experienced the same thing.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:03 PM, Christophers200 said:

Rod the Sod  -- Mmm -- The agent was right and you were 'mistaken' There has been no recent change. 

The last two times I applied for and received the certificates of residency I had not been doing 90 day reports either as I had been traveling in and out of the country often, immigration at NongKhai never mentioned the 90 day report rule but just supplied the certificate. That was a couple of years ago though.

4 minutes ago, Lee4Life said:

The last two times I applied for and received the certificates of residency I had not been doing 90 day reports either as I had been traveling in and out of the country often, immigration at NongKhai never mentioned the 90 day report rule but just supplied the certificate. That was a couple of years ago though.

This "rule" exists only in Bangkok

I'm just in the middle of trying to renew my driving licence, its not going very well.

I went to my local driving licence office (Prakon Chi, Buriram) on Thursday with existing 5 year licence (my 3rd 5 year licence), Yellow house book, Pink ID, passport with visa and photo copy's of every thing. The lady told me I needed a letter of residence from immigration.

I went to Buriram Immigration the same day. They asked why I needed the letter, then said I would have to go back to the driving licence office and get a letter requesting a certificate/ letter of residence.

Friday I went back to the driving licence office and requested a letter requesting a certificate/letter of residence. The lady told me that was not possible. My wife asked if it was possible to pay extra to do away with the certificate/letter of residence, the answer was no.

So on Monday I will go back to Buriram and try again. Hopefully thing will work out, but as we all know Thai bureaucracy follows no logic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I'm just in the middle of trying to renew my driving licence, its not going very well.

I went to my local driving licence office (Prakon Chi, Buriram) on Thursday with existing 5 year licence (my 3rd 5 year licence), Yellow house book, Pink ID, passport with visa and photo copy's of every thing. The lady told me I needed a letter of residence from immigration.

I went to Buriram Immigration the same day. They asked why I needed the letter, then said I would have to go back to the driving licence office and get a letter requesting a certificate/ letter of residence.

Friday I went back to the driving licence office and requested a letter requesting a certificate/letter of residence. The lady told me that was not possible. My wife asked if it was possible to pay extra to do away with the certificate/letter of residence, the answer was no.

So on Monday I will go back to Buriram and try again. Hopefully thing will work out, but as we all know Thai bureaucracy follows no logic.

Wait, what ? The driving licence office requested you to go request a certificate of residence at Immigration, where they requested you to go request a requestion from DLO to be able to request at Imm . . .

You just can´t make this up. I see no hope for this country. ????

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, starfish said:

Wait, what ? The driving licence office requested you to go request a certificate of residence at Immigration, where they requested you to go request a requestion from DLO to be able to request at Imm . . .

You just can´t make this up. I see no hope for this country. ????

True! Perhaps you need read book "CATCH 22".

I also need CoR. (Drivers license).

No problem....just go to your embassy. Problem, OZ embassies have stopped doing SD for residence affirmation. <deleted>.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, mick220675 said:

I have been to Buriram immigration today and talked to a officer who I have known for years. After giving him 500 baht I was given a letter/certificate of residence.

I went to the driving licence office gave all paper work to the same lady I had seen last week. She told me If I wanted my new licence I would have to resit the full test. My wife started shouting at the lady and 10 seconds later it was agreed I could renew my licence without resitting the full test.

I now have a new 5 year licence after days of jumping thru hoops. I witnessed the lady at the driving licence office being very difficult to other people trying to renew there driving licences. My wife concluded that the lady working at the driving licence office was a bitch.

My problem with Thai bureaucracy is nobody can agree the rules. What is impossible to one official is no problem to the next official.

The stress of renewing a driving licence could make anyone a alcoholic. The video I was made to watch said you could be fined up to 200.000 baht for drink driving, so I will not drive tomorrow as I am in need of a good drink.

Edited by mick220675
  • Like 1