Chiang Mai Immigration.

Formaleins

Hi,

posted recently on the main forum regarding the previous years hassles with the immigration queue (or lack of it) at Chiang Mai, when they were at Promenada. A poster there told me to go ask on the Chiang Mai forum regarding the queue / appointment system currently in place at immigration for the one year marriage extension.

He reckoned that there had been massive improvements since "Big Joke" had visited and done a bit of butt reaming.

Has anyone recently done their one year marriage extension? I am curious as to what the queue system is like this time around, last year I used an agent after my experience the year before - i.e. having to sit on a plastic chair from 1 AM in the car park all night in freezing February just to try and get a place to renew my extension.

If anyone has recent experience, please can you let me know the details - what time do you need to get in the queue? I heard one immigration officer had already said there was no need to queue in the dark! However, I still want to be there in time to guarantee getting seen by the immigration people, I certainly don't want to end up half hour too late and have to go through all the crap again.

Any info will be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers.

No retirement, but I extent my ED two weeks ago. Have in mind that ED was even worst because a lot of students (and "students").

The good news: yes, the nightmare is over. I arrived at 6:05am - the building opens at 6, begin to work at 7) and get number #9 for ED. At 9:20 I was out with my extension.

So, at least for now, no more queueing at midnight and no more "agents" hired just to stay in the queue. In fact, right now they reject to give a number if the queuer is not the owner of the passport.

Still have to wake up early, but if you go by 6am it will be fine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aremesal said:

No retirement, but I extent my ED two weeks ago. Have in mind that ED was even worst because a lot of students (and "students").

The good news: yes, the nightmare is over. I arrived at 6:05am - the building opens at 6, begin to work at 7) and get number #9 for ED. At 9:20 I was out with my extension.

So, at least for now, no more queueing at midnight and no more "agents" hired just to stay in the queue. In fact, right now they reject to give a number if the queuer is not the owner of the passport.

Still have to wake up early, but if you go by 6am it will be fine.

Thanks for that! Sounds better by the minute. Just being able to get the queue number without sitting outside in the car park all night will cheer me up - Sounds as if they haver finally had that rocket up their <deleted> that they so richly deserved.

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

If you go on or near you birthday your in for a treat!... :coffee1:

6232AC83-84BF-43D2-8FC3-D367A38E468D.jpeg

I'll pass on that if you don't mind. I couldn't take their hate filled eyes, their foreigner loathing stares, and their self importance. They may turn the cake a bit sour, the candles and a gallon of gas, now that I could find very useful, 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, you don't need to come before the sun rises like at Promenada.

You can come at 9 or 10 am, and you will be served before noon.

There are not many people in the marriage queue, the longest queue is still the education and tourist extension queues.

The only service that hasn't improved is the residence cert queue.

Thanks for that, still don't believe it though until I see it and experience it in all its glory, with my own eyes.  What exactly has changed in all of this apart from an arse kicking from the boss? What is being done differently that they are no longer going out of their way to make our life hell and cause as much inconvenience as possible?I would imagine given the recent changes in the retirement law, we will be seeing an exponential increase in pensioner marriages of convenience.

Edited by Formaleins

They open already at 06:00 am (?). You can sit inside. They start to prepare them selves at 6:30. First "customer" is called before 7:00. No lunch brake. Directly opposite the entrance is the first counter you get the right queue number. More space, more staff. Less "customers" because the 90 days report works online very well.

Edited by AlfonsV
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

They are cleaning out the people with bad attitudes so don't be surprised to find your name at the top of their list.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great comment if I may say.

I have been renewing my Retirement Extension at  Chiang Mai for about eight years I am lucky to be able to do the 90 day reporting and other minor stuff at the local office further North.

I have never had problems with either office always helpful and courteous.

Of course I comply with the legal requirements and treat them as I expect to be treated.

Perhaps some of these people who are constantly complaining need to look in the mirror where I think they will find the problem.

Of course if it is so bad here why not leave ?

23 hours ago, sfokevin said:

If you go on or near you birthday your in for a treat!... :coffee1:

6232AC83-84BF-43D2-8FC3-D367A38E468D.jpeg

Hmmm.. If would be better if they look like a line of Thai Airways stewardess instead.

ca9126d39a9b5b7e9b340f7054ed6202.jpg 

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks for that, still don't believe it though until I see it and experience it in all its glory, with my own eyes.  What exactly has changed in all of this apart from an arse kicking from the boss? What is being done differently that they are no longer going out of their way to make our life hell and cause as much inconvenience as possible?I would imagine given the recent changes in the retirement law, we will be seeing an exponential increase in pensioner marriages of convenience.

Well, I think  part of the problem in the past was because of the agents. If the immigration is slow, they get more businesses so certain immigration officers could process applications that went through the back door. That's why it took so long just to process one front line application.

Aside from the extension of the number of hours per day, I believe the queue number is only given to the applicant showing his passport.

That eliminated a lot of agents/queuers who are trying to make a fast buck while genuine applicants suffer.

Edited by EricTh

My experience with retirement extesions about 2 weeks ago was good, incomparably better than before. But I feel it's slowly reverting to some bad habits. To be clear:

-I arrived 11am, I got a number no problem (wow), and there were only six in front of me (double wow)

-these six took 2 hours, because the officers were taking long leaves from their desks, were busy chatting to their colleagues, were busy chatting with the wives of the retirees (marriage and retirement are done by the same officers).

-the immigration officers were largely the same ones as in Promenada (I had heard initially they had been replaced)

-agents, they are still there: same familiar faces as in Promenada, one lady with 6 passports in her hand. Maybe no sitters, indeed it would make no sense now.

-con: I don't understand why they cannot have a copy shop inside the compound as was the case before. Now you have to cross the main road even for one missing photocopy, and it was easier for Noah to cross the Red Sea.

38 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

-con: I don't understand why they cannot have a copy shop inside the compound as was the case before. Now you have to cross the main road even for one missing photocopy, and it was easier for Noah to cross the Red Sea.

Sounds like a business opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

It was explained to me by the  senior IO that the land is government owned whereas photocopy shops are private so they need to have special approval from the govt first.

Once they get the approval, we will have a photocopy shop inside the compound.

Edited by EricTh

Well, I am no longer a doubter! They have changed and changed big time! We were there 6:15, not much of a queue, we ended up with the 2nd Spouse appointment, they started working about 6:45, we went in just before 8am and were out at 9am! Fantastic, and they had a really friendly cheerful attitude to boot! What more can I say, let's just hope it stays this way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, EricTh said:

It was explained to me by the  senior IO that the land is government owned whereas photocopy shops are private so they need to have special approval from the govt first.

Once they get the approval, we will have a photocopy shop inside the compound.

They always had a copy facility at the old immigration before they moved to the Promenada. Don't see why it would be any different now.

25 minutes ago, Duvidl said:

They always had a copy facility at the old immigration before they moved to the Promenada. Don't see why it would be any different now.

Promenada is NOT on government property.

They were just renting shoplots (temporarily) there while waiting for the old  place to be renovated.

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Promenada is NOT on government property.

They were just renting shoplots (temporarily) there while waiting for the old  place to be renovated.

They had a copy center at the current location before the move a few years ago.

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

If you have a carry case with duplicate photocopies of everything, and I mean everything, you dont have to worry about getting photocopies when you get there.Just basic forward planning.

1 baht each where I go

Trouble is that if you want to get a re-entry permit or do your 90 day report just after obtaining your annual extension, you need a copy of the chop they just put in your passport.  No way to "forward plan" for that.  I was at Imm. earlier this week and had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit.  

The copy shop at the petrol station is quite the amateur affair.  They charge just 1 baht per page for a copy, and let you use their pens and glue stick for free.  Not like the one at Prom, which incidentally was in space allocated to Imm by the mall.  There, copies were 2 cents/page, photos 200 baht for 4 (twice the going rate), you could buy pens for 10 baht and they would permit glue stick use only if you'd had your photo taken there.  Quite a little earner for whomever was tied into Imm to get that space allocated for their business.

• Like 1

Trouble is that if you want to get a re-entry permit or do your 90 day report just after obtaining your annual extension, you need a copy of the chop they just put in your passport.  No way to "forward plan" for that.  I was at Imm. earlier this week and had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit.  

The copy shop at the petrol station is quite the amateur affair.  They charge just 1 baht per page for a copy, and let you use their pens and glue stick for free.  Not like the one at Prom, which incidentally was in space allocated to Imm by the mall.  There, copies were 2 cents/page, photos 200 baht for 4 (twice the going rate), you could buy pens for 10 baht and they would permit glue stick use only if you'd had your photo taken there.  Quite a little earner for whomever was tied into Imm to get that space allocated for their business.

Death defying dash, bloody drama queen.

Have not run a step in 15 years and crossed that road many times.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

Well the day I was there in mid Decemember, I noticed some Imm staff taking a photocopy or 2 on their own machines saving people taking a walk over the road.I never go there for 90 day reports haven't done for years and re entry permits you can get at the airport.

Needless to say going to Imm for me is like a vist to the dentist and little chance of getting another birthday cake.Once a year suits me.

Hopefully the service now, which is obviously a huge improvement, will continue.I dont see the influx of foreigners coming here to live declining .CM is featured on many web sites and in "Seniors" magazines labelling it the 'ideal retirement destination"

On 2/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, Bill97 said:

Death defying dash, bloody drama queen.

Have not run a step in 15 years and crossed that road many times.

This poster is not a "bloody drama queen" when she talked about crossing the street from immigration to the copy shop and back.  It is nothing short of a miracle no one has been run over attempting to cross this street.  

It is common knowledge pedestrians do not have the right away in Thailand.  That coupled with the way Thai drivers tend not to obey any traffic laws, make for a dangerous situation for foreign visitors.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

No , cars come speeding from around a slight corner and drivers are not expecting people to be crossing there and the traffic is constant , meaning that you have to run infront of cars to get a across and people will have their passport in their hand and also holding photocopies , quite likely that there will be an accident soon

Actually, if there're no zebra crossing marker, it's considered jay-walking.

If there's an accident, the person running across is at fault too.

• Like 1

Hi , fantastic news indeed . Although I'm out for a few years now and will be some more , I'm still following with interest as I might need the information soon . I was wondering reading about an appointment , is it back as in the old days ? Or did they gave you a queu number at imm ? That would be a major improvement .Thanks for sharing all of your experiences .

"...had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit. "

I asked them to make the copies for me, and they did. Without a fuss or snooty look at all.