Renewing an Australian passport in Thailand

My passport expires October this year. I will be going to Bkk in March so figure may as well get a new passport while I am there.

Has anyone done this recently? I believe you start the process online and book an appointment also online?

Can it be done in one day or is it a 2 day effort?

If 2 days do I have to pick it up next day or can it be posted to me after initial visit? (one day in Bkk preferable)

How do I transfer my retirement visa / extension stamp / stay until date stamp etc?

Any help appreciated. I live up country and want to get it all done in one go

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes you start the process on line, which gives you a reference number, you print this and take it with you to the embassy (their new location).

Check carefully on the website what other documents are needed besides your expiring passport. In the past you had to show the original and leave a copy of your birth certificate, I'm not sure if they still require this.

Booking in advance not needed in the past, maybe a new item, but check on the website for the consular working hours. 

Just go to the consular section, take a Queue number and wait. Normally an officer will be available within maybe 1 to 15 minutes. The staff are friendly, pleasant, helpful and good listeners, they don't bite.

Consular officer will check all your documents. Important: Make sure you have the correct type of photo and the correct size and background color.

You will be asked to indicate whether you want to pick up the new passport at the embassy or have it sent direct, by EMS, to your home in Thailand.

All done in 5 to 10 minutes, then you and officer sign where needed and you go back to the cashier window and pay the fee.  Officer now sends everything to Canberra.

I've used the EMS direct to home in Chiang MAi option twice, never any problem.

All Australian passports are now made in one central location, in Canberra. You can't request it be made in Bangkok.

The consular folks will normally tell you 10 to 14 days to your house. Both times I did it it was in my home letter box within 3 or 4 working days.

Good luck. 

Thanks so much for the detailed and informative reply. Just one thing...Do they keep your old passport or cut a corner off it etc and give it back to you? This I guess nullifies your original passport and as such you are in no mans land for 2 weeks waiting for delivery of new?

This being the case I am guessing it is best done when you don't have to report to immigration or travel for at least one month after applying?

How do you get all of your current visa, extension stamp, stay until date etc transferred into the new Passport or you don't need to?

Is there any time limit you can start doing your online renewal application? I will be travelling to Bkk approximately 19th March (6 weeks)

And by the way, not sure yet where the new Embassy is but is it close to a BTS station?

Edited by Kenny202

OZ Embassy address:

image.png.665c0a655992c1433f783ea9f8535d1a.png

I can answer some of your points:

Do they keep your old passport or cut a corner off it etc and give it back to you? This I guess nullifies your original passport and as such you are in no mans land for 2 weeks waiting for delivery of new?

Yes they cut a slice off the front and back covers and return it to you.

This being the case I am guessing it is best done when you don't have to report to immigration or travel for at least one month after applying?

Whether the Thai authorities accept the old passport after bits cut off I don't know.

I have PR so I don't have much experience on this point. Other members can answer this point better than I can.

How do you get all of your current visa, extension stamp, stay until date etc transferred into the new Passport or you don't need to?

Sorry, other members can answer this better than I can.

Is there any time limit you can start doing your online renewal application? I will be travelling to Bkk approximately 19th March (6 weeks)

Again I can't answer this question but I encourage you to call the embassy 02 344 6300 and ask for consular, the friendly folks will give you a clear answer on this and any other points. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

How do I transfer my retirement visa / extension stamp / stay until date stamp etc?

You'll need to go to your local immigration office armed with (1) old passport + copies of photopage & all pages containing existing & expired Thai immigration visas & stamps, (2) new passport + copy of photopage, (3) a "transfer request" letter which the Embassy should provide with your new passport, and (4) a completed "stamps transfer" form (blank version attached).

5926ab6c8f4d1_Tranferstampsnewpassport.pdf

• Like 1

I did the online application today and booked my appointment. You need to make a booking now by the way.... but the application and booking online very straightforward. Looks like you can get the MRT station to within a few hundred yards of the Embassy.

Was just wondering...I live up country Khon Kaen and will have the passport posted to me which means they will cut the covers off the old one and return to me. Wondering if Thai smile will accept this to fly back home the next day? I have a Thai drivers license as ID if they need it. Only a domestic flight so hopefully they don't care too much about passport. I don't think they even ask for a passport number when I booked the flight

So far so good.

I doubt anybody can really answer about needing your passport for your flight. I suggest the Thai Smile folks would not even begin to understand what your talking about in terms of reason why the front and back covers are cut.

Old passport + Thai drivers license sounds like a good bet.

Take care.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I did the online application today and booked my appointment. You need to make a booking now by the way.... but the application and booking online very straightforward. Looks like you can get the MRT station to within a few hundred yards of the Embassy.

Was just wondering...I live up country Khon Kaen and will have the passport posted to me which means they will cut the covers off the old one and return to me. Wondering if Thai smile will accept this to fly back home the next day? I have a Thai drivers license as ID if they need it. Only a domestic flight so hopefully they don't care too much about passport. I don't think they even ask for a passport number when I booked the flight

When I renewed mine, the embassy provided a letter saying I have applied for a new passport which is for you

to show to the airline if there are any problems.

• Like 2

Did my new passport last month - same deal as above - no problems!

Airline coming home to Udon Thani did not accept the cancelled passport but my drivers licence was OK.

Thai immigration took up the first THREE pages of my new passport with stamps!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Make sure you have the correct type of photo and the correct size and background color.

Over the years I have had 2 passports renewed from BKK.

you'd better be prepared to get new photos taken.

they sent me next door to the old embassy to have my photos retaken.

Let me know how you go.

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

You will be asked to indicate whether you want to pick up the new passport at the embassy or have it sent direct, by EMS, to your home in Thailand.

Double check, I needed my last passport urgently for work, I paid extra but the stupid woman behind the window forgot to complete the paperwork. I had to take a taxi to BKK and pick up. 

A few years back I had 3 passports renewed, a concurrent and 2 x children, these were delivered in 10 days after my visit.

Good luck.

As above, unless you have Thai Drivers license either car or motorbike, the airline won't accept your passport if its been cancelled (with the front & back pages cut). Hence why in the end, I went with the option to collect it in Bangkok again, as I live in Koh Samui. They also won't send it to you, unless your old one has been cancelled.

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Let me know how you go.

Double check, I needed my last passport urgently for work, I paid extra but the stupid woman behind the window forgot to complete the paperwork. I had to take a taxi to BKK and pick up. 

A few years back I had 3 passports renewed, a concurrent and 2 x children, these were delivered in 10 days after my visit.

Good luck.

I think things have changed now where all passports are issued and created from Canberra so time frames may be different now

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:
3 hours ago, VYCM said:

Let me know how you go.

Good luck.

I think things have changed now where all passports are issued and created from Canberra so time frames may be different now

Nope, they have always been issued from Canberra - They are very quick

I had a renewed passport back in 2007 Singapore Embassy - came from Canberra

The concurrent, 2x children and my originals all from BKK Embassy all came from Canberra.

Done mine at the July 2018.

Go online, fill in the paperwork, submit it and print a copy out. 

Book your appointment online, this is required as you cannot just walk in like before. Oh and be on time for your appointment or they might not let you enter. 

I got my photos done near the embassy but the girl behind the counter said they might be rejected in Oz. Anyway she gave me the address off the place they recommend. She said just come straight back and hand the photos over as all the other paperwork was in order. Motorbike taxi there, he knew where to go. Was back in Embassy in 20 minutes. I opted to pick up my passport as I had to fly overseas next day. They give you a date when to come and pick up the passport, in my case it was 12 days. 

Very easy and the girl behind the counter was extremely helpful. 

When I collected new passport they cut the old passports front cover in half. They then put a stamp in the old passport for immigration to transfer over visas to new passport. Done that at my local immigration with no hassles.  

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Just remember if have it posted the moment your old one hits Canberra (or a photocopy of)

your old passport will be cancelled.

Better to collect from Embassy when arrives at which time they will cancel your old one

cut the corner off & give it back to you

It wont bother me. I live up country and can't hang around Bangkok to wait for pick up. Apart from flying back home I will have just completed my 90 day report month before and have no plans to leave the country within 2 months of my renewal. I've never had to randomly show my passport in 5 years of being here but I am sure if I had to the covering letter from Embassy re renewal would be ok. Apparently though a foreigner here is supposed to be able to produce their passport (not a copy) at any given time here. I would have lost mine 15 times over if I carried it around with me 5555 

13 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

It wont bother me. I live up country and can't hang around Bangkok to wait for pick up. Apart from flying back home I will have just completed my 90 day report month before and have no plans to leave the country within 2 months of my renewal. I've never had to randomly show my passport in 5 years of being here but I am sure if I had to the covering letter from Embassy re renewal would be ok. Apparently though a foreigner here is supposed to be able to produce their passport (not a copy) at any given time here. I would have lost mine 15 times over if I carried it around with me 5555 

A mate of mine renewed his in Laos, drove to Friendship Bridge at Nong Kai, got a re-entry visa 1,000 baht, went across the bridge on the bus waiting for 10 baht, paid US $30 at the Laos border, then taxi 30 minute drive to the Australian Embassy in Vientiane, driver waited 1 hour included in the 300 baht agreed fare. I believe he had to return to collect the passport as I think they wouldn't post it, but you could always email them to see what the go is.

I went to have some docs verified, the process was easy as and it saved me flying to BKK from Udon Thani, the drive to Nong Kai was about 20 minutes further than the airport for me so it wasn't an issue, was at the embassy and home within 4 hours all up.

I emailed them before I went and they were very helpful telling me what I needed:

Address

Km 4, Thadeua Road
Watnak village
Sisattanak District
Vientiane 
Lao PDR

Postal address

P.O. Box 292, Vientiane

Telephone: + 021 353 800

Fax : + 021 353 801

Email address: [email protected]

12 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Appreciate the heads up mate but I have to travel to Bangkok next month anyway. I am pretty sure though Australian passports are only renewed from Bangkok now. I could be wrong?

An old friend worked in an OZ embassy, his comments, to maintain total security and ensure all Australian passports contain the special photo and the 2 security chips all PPs are made in a secure office in Canberra. Embassies etc., don't have access to stock of the chips etc. 

And I'm guessing with modern technology it's mostly a mechanized process (not totally hand made, in fact hand made opens up the possibility for tampering with the PP details).

As mentioned by several posters they received the new passport very quickly either picked up at the OZ embassy or EMS to home. Three to five days delivered mentioned by several posters, my own two experiences 3 to 4 days at my home in Chiang Mai.

How so fast? My guess (pure guess) is that as soon as the interview is finished all the relevant details go to Canberra immediately by a secure e-mail or similar process, some security checks / authenticity checks, any warrants etc., outstanding etc., checked, all electronically and the machine manufacture begins. Final check by appropriate officer and new pp in the next diplomatic bag (sent several times every day) from Canberra to whatever embassy. 

An old friend worked in an OZ embassy, his comments, to maintain total security and ensure all Australian passports contain the special photo and the 2 security chips all PPs are made in a secure office in Canberra. Embassies etc., don't have access to stock of the chips etc. 

And I'm guessing with modern technology it's mostly a mechanized process (not totally hand made, in fact hand made opens up the possibility for tampering with the PP details).

As mentioned by several posters they received the new passport very quickly either picked up at the OZ embassy or EMS to home. Three to five days delivered mentioned by several posters, my own two experiences 3 to 4 days at my home in Chiang Mai.

How so fast? My guess (pure guess) is that as soon as the interview is finished all the relevant details go to Canberra immediately by a secure e-mail or similar process, some security checks / authenticity checks, any warrants etc., outstanding etc., checked, all electronically and the machine manufacture begins. Final check by appropriate officer and new pp in the next diplomatic bag (sent several times every day) from Canberra to whatever embassy. 

I was wondering how they get them back here so fast. Yes they must be done virtually same day and on a flight back to BKK. Thai post from Australia even express is exp and still takes at least a week

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just be sure your when you get your photos they are biometric, as digitally modified photos are unacceptable, and they will not process your new pp until they receive the appropriate photos, I found out the hard way by purchasing photos at a photo shop here in pattaya, then applying for new pp in Melbourne on my annual trip back to Oz.