Turkmenistan Airlines banned: Thousands stranded after aviation chiefs ban flights for safety reasons

webfact

Turkmenistan Airlines banned: Thousands stranded after aviation chiefs ban flights for safety reasons

KATY CLIFTON 
The Evening Standard

BBT9icF.jpg

File photo

Thousands of passengers have been left stranded after a budget airline with routes between the UK and India was blacklised for safety reasons.

Turkmenistan Airlines, which has been banned by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), flies from Heathrow and Birmingham to Delhi and Amritsar via Ashgabat. 

A notice from the Foreign Office to travellers from India says the airline has been banned to or from the EU pending confirmation that it meets international safety standards. 

Full story: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/turkmenistan-airlines-ban-thousands-stranded-after-aviation-chiefs-ban-flights-for-safety-reasons-a4057171.html

-- EVENING STANDARD 2019-02-04

The ban is no loss as long as this country is in the firm grip of the dictator.

Individual travel close to impossible, always under close watch of state security officers.

A taste of North Korea in central Asia, an obstacle for overland travel to Asia/Thailand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I lived and worked nearly 5y in Turkmenistan, not surprised at all.
I once was the only passenger on Turkmenistan Airlines from Bangkok to Ashgabat.
Run by one of the last remaining dictators in the world. The current president was my dentist in 1999!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Dentist to dictator ????????????