Large police contingent investigate theft from hero foreign dive instructor who helped at Chiang Rai cave rescue

webfact

Large police contingent investigate theft from hero foreign dive instructor who helped at Chiang Rai cave rescue

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A large contingent of police from Nakorn Sri Thammarat went to aid a Danish dive instructor and three foreigners after a pick-up was broken into and items worth 50,000 baht were stolen. 

The police spoke of damage to Thailand's reputation. 

The Danish man gained the gratitude of Thais after being involved in the rescue of the Moo Pa Academy boys and their coach from the Tham Luang cave in the middle of last year. 

It was the latest adventure for dive instructor Claus Rasmussen - Thai Rath reported that he survived drowning in August when his pick up was washed away in floods. 

Yesterday Claus, 45, had taken three tourists for dive practice at an area well known for diving in Nakorn Sri Thammarat in Thailand's south. The area is Ban Talay Song Hong. 

He had parked his Vigo truck as he instructed Wessie, 38, from Holland, and a Russian and a Malaysian, in three 40 minute to one hour sessions yesterday afternoon. 

After the final session was over at 5.40 pm they went back to the vehicle but found that someone had taken a key that Claus had hidden in the rear of the vehicle and opened up the cab.

Missing was 600 baht from Claus, 7,000 baht of company money, an iPhone, and 30,000 baht and a One Plus phone belonging to the man from Holland. It was all worth 50,000 baht. 

A large contingent of police headed by Pol Col Preecha Panyalert of the Thung Yai constabulary went to the scene with forensics officers. Pol Col Preecha spoke of the damage such an incident might do to Thailand's reputation. 

The area was cordoned off as the police began their work. They suggested that someone was probably mingling among the tourists and had seen the key being hidden in the back of the truck before biding their time and stealing the items while the divers were away and fleeing. 

Claus was involved in helping with the release of the boys and their coach from Tham Luang cave - an event that gained worldwide press coverage. All the party were saved. 

But it was not the only time Claus was involved in the news until yesterday. Thai Rath reported that on August 9th last year he had tried to get through floodwaters in the south and been swept away in his truck. 

He only managed to cheat death as he and the occupants of the vehicle clambered onto the roof of the pick-up and were rescue by villagers. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-06

A large contingent of police involved......in contrast a dead taxi driver

had his wallet with 10 K THB stolen, while lying in the car park,by a security 

guard,and the police didn't seem that bothered.

regards worgeordie

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Well..let's face it-a taxi driver dying alone whilst his personal possessions were stolen from him would hardly cause the kingdom to lose face,would it?The theft of possessions from the stricken,the injured and the dead is hardly an unknown occurrence.

'The police spoke of damage to Thailand's reputation'.

Is that all they EVER think about and mouth about?!

I for one am sick and tired of this idiotic obsession with 'Thailand's reputation' - when the only REAL reputation Thailand has is - let's be honest - as the bordello of the world!

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

that is business as usual...steal in hospital or in emergency ambulance car from the dying, and even worse stories...nothing to do with thailand  tourist reputation.

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Well he did a good turn and its good to see that the police respect his efforts, or someone does.

Yes he put his own life potentially at risk to help others, it seems took no glory in his helping or tried to cash in, so sounds a decent guy and hero, who I am Sure the Thai police should and will assist as much as they can. I guess we’ll done the Police and the guy!

4 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

Yes he put his own life potentially at risk to help others, it seems took no glory in his helping or tried to cash in, so sounds a decent guy and hero, who I am Sure the Thai police should and will assist as much as they can. I guess we’ll done the Police and the guy!

That's right.  I know him personally and he really is a nice, decent, selfless guy.

This does highlight a problem with modern car 'keys' - you can't just dump it in a pocket on your swimming jocks as you could with a metal key. Last time I did that with a modern electronic key (forgot it was there) it instantly was reduced to rubbish in the sea water and a new one cost me an arm and leg - exaggerating, but at least a lower arm anyway.

Sent from my G8441 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, webfact said:

the Moo Pa Academy boys

I guess the moo pa boys will be used until this generation has grown and the new generation will no longer remember.

Just another poor guy who got robbed and in an attempt to get attention the media use these moo pa boys again...

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

No publicity opportunity in the above !!

Archived