Aussie teacher details horrific conditions inside Thai detention

webfact

18 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Considering there has been no court case and no-one has been found guilty of anything (yet), detention should not resemble punishment. Holding a person is sufficient. Thailand has this awful problem as seeing immigrants and refugees as people deserving punishment rather than assistance.

I think the issue is more one of Thailand not being able, nor perhaps wanting to, spend any money beyond the absolute minimum on their detention facilities.   If they had the budget to build and operate a facility on par with what we would expect in the West then the probably would.

But look at how little money they spend on their Police stations, the furnishings and fit out of those places is terrible.  Look at the type of quality of their police vehicles, again rubbish compared to a well funded modern Police force.   

53 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I think the issue is more one of Thailand not being able, nor perhaps wanting to, spend any money beyond the absolute minimum on their detention facilities.   If they had the budget to build and operate a facility on par with what we would expect in the West then the probably would.

But look at how little money they spend on their Police stations, the furnishings and fit out of those places is terrible.  Look at the type of quality of their police vehicles, again rubbish compared to a well funded modern Police force.   

And a totally different system of prosecution.

The police investigate and prosecute unlike the UK system, Public Prosecutor, Procurator Fiscal in Scotland, who determines if the police have enough evidence to hold you and charge you.

Here, you/your lawyer have to prove yourself innocent as you are assumed guilty first.

An assumption on my part I know but based on the 'I was told it's ok to teach on-line' post maybe, just maybe I'm doing nothing illegal attitude conveyed in a fashion lacking in decorum may have backfired.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

It is very common for Thais to refer to farangs with mun also. More so if they think or know the individual does not speak any Thai.

They always do, unless they know fluent Thai speaking farang are present. It's very disgusting. 

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

have heard many Thai women of the 'night entertainment' variety use 'มัน' (meaning 'it') when referring to their handsome BF or husband...

Yes and I once heard a bank manager in a Thai bank use this term when referring to farang customers. 

35 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Or their toilets.

Or the number of stamps they put in your passport.

Spent a year going in and out of Egypt, working, and lost count of the pages used. Syria was even worse, two full pages of rubber stamps and postage stamp style stamps each trip.

Edited by overherebc

Some of of are vile human beings. I can’t imagine what a day in your grumpy, bitter, miserable life is like.

Detention or not, humans shouldn’t be treated like animals. Especially if they haven’t even been found guilty yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Some of of are vile human beings. I can’t imagine what a day in your grumpy, bitter, miserable life is like.

Detention or not, humans shouldn’t be treated like animals. Especially if they haven’t even been found guilty yet.

The difference being ( see my last post ) here you are assumed guilty first.

It's just the way it is.

The Damage Done: Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison

by

This book should be a must read for students. I read the book and could not put it down. It captures you with a descriptive tale of life and time lost due to a momentous and stupid decision made by the 3 men involved. The ring leader never serving time for his crime. Experience' such as OP guy, should be sending the message have your wits about you and don't get caught up in this trade. 

Conditions are hard in Goal and harder still in a corrupt situation. 

Well, to get in the detention centre seems to be something that can happen to many people If the immigration officer decides to ask for the 20 000 or return flight ticket. Some old men can forget the day for the 90 days report and i have read the news that that counts as a reason for arrests too. About the food they give, i think most westerner will refuse to eat the food served. They must buy expencive flight ticket out of the country at the detention center and no option to use land border exit or cheap kuala lumpur flights at 1200 baht. I simply does not understand why that they can not make the detention center for people that are not criminals and make a departure hall for them with internet access, phone charging stations, computers to buy their own tickets online and 7 eleven and family marts to buy food and drinks. Why the need to put everyone in the "hell" cell? 

• Like 1

I guess the Aussie guy blabbed to next door owner about what he was doing.

What happened to 'just a cash penalty'/no jail time anymore recent changes to working without a permit ?
That above precedent could have implications for all those populating the nomad cafes in 2019... namely that he was engaging in work to overseas via web and not working with Thais locally as that is the supposed breach they can escale things to next level.

What he is doing is similar to the work online scene that got raided in Chiang Mai couple of years back, when they interviewed all the foreigners as to what they had been doing online at the point of the raid
- they were all let go.

And again same as that 'teach Chinese students English online company in Chiang Mai that was raided working out of a riverside hotel
- again all let go doing same as above guy to the letter almost.

His story has not been reported in the local Thai news, he is hiding his identity , so unless it can be verified, I call BS on his story.

I mean , he probably did something more , was he on overstay , did he invite students into his home and offer private lessons?
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have a small business in Europe and do some online work from time to time. I pay my taxes in my home country.

Come and arrest me if you want and I'll make sure the world will know.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, colinneil said:

Well old hippy, you posted a sad emoji on my post, having been detained in a Thai prison, i am fully aware of the conditions.

This Aussie who  wouldnt provide his full name is full of s++t.

Please let us know if you have been inside a prison here, and if so what were the conditions like.

Show some compassion......

You spent about 5 minutes in a Thai prison i think i recall reading?

Forever the 'hard man'...

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:11 AM, MARK74 said:

"The Australian teacher had been living in Thailand for three years, two of those on a tourist visa"

and what were you really thrown in IDC for? working online or overstaying a year. I suspect the latter

Aren't "teachers" supposed to be smart enough to not get in this type of situation? Yeesh! I wonder where they graduated from? Moron University? 

So healthcare is provided as required? My Thai mate in a provincial jail was in great discomfort and was given paracetamol to which he is allergic. He mailed me to ask me to help him get medical assistance. I flew from Australia and had a conference with the 'doctor' and 2 guards. For 2 months they had ignored the symptoms. Very reluctantly they agreed to take him to a hospital (I had to pay 1000 baht because his ID was for another province) where he was diagnosed with tuberculosis. 

Shortly after he spent a month in hospital and was so emaciated that his chains were deemed useless and removed. He was in a nappy and would not have survived without the presence of his wife (a guard was stationed outside his door). 5 months later, the prison 'doctor' neglects to renew his medication (4 lots) for a month and he then has to resume on different pills because the old ones are no longer effective.

The guards and prison staff could not have cared less about him. Had I not been the only foreigner visiting the prison, I am sure he would be dead. And of course, while he is crowded in with 80 men, they are susceptible as well. In fact, he was shunned because he was seen as infectious. 

So your prison might jump on acute cases but my experience tells me that this is not the case in all Thai jails.
image.thumb.png.bc5b143ee91b49ab0d0adee68674c5ec.png

You’re a wonderful friend.

14 hours ago, balo said:

His story has not been reported in the local Thai news, he is hiding his identity , so unless it can be verified, I call BS on his story.

I mean , he probably did something more , was he on overstay , did he invite students into his home and offer private lessons?

I'm guessing he might have been on over-stay as well. Anyway, we will never know, as its going to fade away now and he never came on TV to add any more info though he may be lurking on the thread.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

No surprise guards were using "mun" when referring to prisoners.

I you speak reasonable Thai you would already know that.

It is very common for Thais to refer to farangs with mun also. More so if they think or know the individual does not speak any Thai.

Over the years I have heard many examples of a Thai referring to a farang as mun:

Bar Girls (more times than I can keep track of)

Police (dozens of times)

Judges

Business owners

Taxi drivers

Public transport commuters

I once had a young Thai female lawyer certify some documents for me. Her firm was recommended to me for the task at hand by my embassy. In the paragraph (written in English) that she include with her signature to certify the document she actually referred to me (in writing) as "it".

When I saw what she had done I screamed the place down, stormed into the managing partner's office, and did not stop my tantrum until building security was called.

Well done, Khaeng Mak. It is nice to see people standing up to this kind of rude (and possibly bigoted; ie. nationalist) and unacceptable behavior/attitude.

12 hours ago, JemJem said:

Well done, Khaeng Mak. It is nice to see people standing up to this kind of rude (and possibly bigoted; ie. nationalist) and unacceptable behavior/attitude.

And what about how people from other countries treat the Thais? It seems that when the Thais stand up to rudeness of the foreigners the farangs throw a fit but when the farangs "try" to stand up (assuming they aren't too drunk to do so) in what they see as being mistreated they don't see the comparisons.

Bottom line.... foreigners think they are superior to Thais. They expect to be treated better than the way they treat the people native to the country in which they "visit". Respect goes both ways farang army. Embrace the great people of Thailand and treat them as you wish to be treated and your experience in Thailand will be great.   

28 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

And what about how people from other countries treat the Thais? It seems that when the Thais stand up to rudeness of the foreigners the farangs throw a fit but when the farangs "try" to stand up (assuming they aren't too drunk to do so) in what they see as being mistreated they don't see the comparisons.

Bottom line.... foreigners think they are superior to Thais. They expect to be treated better than the way they treat the people native to the country in which they "visit". Respect goes both ways farang army. Embrace the great people of Thailand and treat them as you wish to be treated and your experience in Thailand will be great.   

Sorry to say but one size does not fit all anywhere.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Sorry to say but one size does not fit all anywhere.

Yea, I know what you mean. If only someone could truly come up with a "one size fits all" for any and all situations.  ???? 

Edited by HuskerDo