Are you or do you know anyone that has been here before 1998? Did they really allow 200K instead of 800K?

10 hours ago, sleepy99 said:

How so? 200K in the bank should qualify him. Which he will have in time 3 months prior to his next extension. Again, please note that he has been here on a retirement visa since before 1998.

Personally, I'd guess (!) that you are only grandfathered in if you used the "money in the bank" method with that lower amount back when that amount was still the prescribed requirement.

As he has been using the "income letter" method so far instead, I don't think they will apply the old rules if and when he decides to switch methods.

But you've mentioned a Thai wife; maybe switching to an extension based on marriage would help him meet the current requirements.

4 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

6 hours ago, sleepy99 said:

Besides, on paper, he would fully qualify to extend based on 200K in the bank because of being here on retirement prior to 1998.

From a pragmatic point of view, how would he prove that?

His older passports would be gone for sure one would imagine?

And immigration cannot even keep records on a retiree for more than 12 months. I have to submit reams of the exactly the same documents year after year.

Thai immigration will transfer old stamps to new passport. I still have my entry stamp from 2002 that started the unbroken extension of stays in my new passport. 

Edited by sanmyintmaung

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Great post I agree 100%........It has been sickening watching thoes with retirement visas.....Belittle thoes with lower class visas like a pack of wild hyenas for the last 10 years...

Different extensions have a class structure?

From a Princely sum to a King's ransom by Jove!

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If the 'grandfathering' also applies to married applicants it might be even less than 400K. You need to look up the criteria for marriage extensions and see whether it applies.

I'm quite sure he's not 'done for' as our prophet of doom said above.

‘Grandfathering’ only applies to retirement extensions.

I sure too!

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:37 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

How is that even supposed to work? Who entered Thailand before Oct. 1998, staying here on retirement extensions since then, would be at least 70 (born in 1948), not 60 or 55! Except, of course, if retirement extensions were granted to 40-year olds back then... 

Yes, I have been living on retirement visa extensions since 1998 and I am now 75 years old. The change to 800,000 baht OR 65,000 baht per month came as a great shock but in my case, back in those days, the UK Pound was strong and the exchange rate against the baht still enabled me to provide Immigration with the data - oh happy days indeed.