Police threaten trash-burners with 7 years in jail

Rimmer

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Egg shells are organic, doooh.

I suppose what the farmers burn is too but it is still regarded as bad for the air

My neighbours burn their rubbish, a lot of it garden cuttings, bloody nuisance, choking smoke, ash in the pool and over any laundry. Wouldn't mind but we actually do get collection, but they refuse to buy any bins.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rimmer said:

While burning on private property doesn’t pose much of a fire hazard to others, it still contributes to air pollution, officials said. Those found violating the law will first be warned and, if caught again, prosecuted

bla bla bla 

My wife has complaining about people burning their garbish so meny times but nothing happens still burning everywhere IMG_20190208_174037.thumb.jpg.b29cbaff239d050d8066f87ec2ee8132.jpg

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

I rest content knowing that the happy little pyromaniacal sugarcane farmers (and you) are only poisoning us all to death to MAKE THE TREES GROW!

You are lucky to have trees otherwise you would not breath. We will all die of something.

5 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You are lucky to have trees otherwise you would not breath. We will all die of something.

Sure..like the tree growing in the atmosphere in the photographs?

Now these are trees..growing free without the smog and pollution...

I sure as hell,don't want to die of Thai pollution.

167.JPG

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Well for instance in Canada many small municipalities dig a large open pit then fill it with garbage than cover it with soil and it is eventually broken down. 

And all sorts of crap leeches out and down into the water table and that will eventually reach streams rivers etc.

Why waste time and money, just dump it all in the nearest river.

images (88).jpeg

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

That's called LANDFILL. In my village alone they would need a f****g big hole. And of course, all the plastic, glass & metal would go in and be there FOREVER.

My village is 30 km from Phitsanulok, which calls itself the Recycling City of Thailand. There is a War on Waste going on at the moment.

What a load of rubbish  5555

So landfill is good enough for Canadians but not for Thailand.  So you believe your solution of burning garbage is a better idea?  Let's hear your solutions.  Sound like your idea of recycling is turning it into smoke lol.

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And all sorts of crap leeches out and down into the water table and that will eventually reach streams rivers etc.

Why waste time and money, just dump it all in the nearest river.

images (88).jpeg

No the base is clay which is compressed and it doesn't leak.  I worked a summer helping build one and I saw it worked.

9 hours ago, tlandtday said:

No the base is clay which is compressed and it doesn't leak.  I worked a summer helping build one and I saw it worked.

Even a properly built landfill is not 100% waterproof and requires continuous work and management when finished.

Leachates are greatly reduced/contained but still require treatment.

The two most important words involved are 'management' and 'maintain.'

Dig a pit, fill it and cover it over, rinse and repeat don't really fit.

images (1).png

10 hours ago, tlandtday said:

So landfill is good enough for Canadians but not for Thailand.  So you believe your solution of burning garbage is a better idea?  Let's hear your solutions.  Sound like your idea of recycling is turning it into smoke lol.

No, I was not saying that. But DO NOT bury plastic etc. And I was not condoning burning, unless in an incinerator which can produce electricity, but here in my village there is no alternative.

The solutions are a problem worldwide. Firstly it is the packaging people who need to sort themselves out, more so here in Thailand. But that's partly down to educating the people to NOT need so many bags and food containers. 

I am doing my bit fighting litter. When I take my dog for a walk/shit in the morning and evening, local kids tag along. So now I take a yeh, plastic bag, and get the kids to collect all litter I see, probably dropped by them in the first place. It seems to be working, but I haven't featured online yet.  LOL.

KEEP THAILAND TIDY. Cheers.

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No, I was not saying that. But DO NOT bury plastic etc. And I was not condoning burning, unless in an incinerator which can produce electricity, but here in my village there is no alternative.

The solutions are a problem worldwide. Firstly it is the packaging people who need to sort themselves out, more so here in Thailand. But that's partly down to educating the people to NOT need so many bags and food containers. 

I am doing my bit fighting litter. When I take my dog for a walk/shit in the morning and evening, local kids tag along. So now I take a yeh, plastic bag, and get the kids to collect all litter I see, probably dropped by them in the first place. It seems to be working, but I haven't featured online yet.  LOL.

KEEP THAILAND TIDY. Cheers.

????????

I got ahead of you and myself there reading your post and thought the bar steward makes the kids pick up the dog crap. ????????????, then I read 'litter' ????

Sorry for my bad thoughts.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

????????

I got ahead of you and myself there reading your post and thought the bar steward makes the kids pick up the dog crap. ????????????, then I read 'litter' ????

Sorry for my bad thoughts.

No problem. By the way, dog crap is bio-degradeable.

But if the said crap is on the pavements or public pathways in towns and cities, then it should be picked up, as it is by law in USA & UK and other civilised countries.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But if the said crap is on the pavements or public pathways in towns and cities, then it should be picked up, as it is by law in USA & UK and other civilised countries.

Dog pooper scooper in Paris.

images (89).jpeg

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, fruitman said:
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, wgdanson said:

In the village where I live, there is no garbage collection (My Old Man doesn't exist) so we must burn some of it in our back garden. But we do it in a concrete pipe lifted off the ground so air can get under the fire, so it's all done in a short time with not much smoke. No alternative.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, fruitman said:

Then the village should be forced to start collecting garbage...and all inhabitants have to be forced to pay for it.

What! Forced to have garbage collection. You must be joking!

There is no garbage collection in our village either, but nothing gets wasted either. Asians were into recycling long before we westerners even invented the word!

They reuse what they can and sell, for recycling, what they can't. It's part of the village economy.

The only household in our village that has a waste disposal problem is ours! 'The only falang in the village' syndrome. (I use a perforated 45gal drum when I need to burn).

And as this topic is about air pollution, I should mention that the air in our area is usually very good.

36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There is no garbage collection in our village either, but nothing gets wasted either. Asians were into recycling long before we westerners even invented the word!

They reuse what they can and sell, for recycling, what they can't. It's part of the village economy.

Absolute rubbish in my village. Throw it all in a pile and burn it. F***k the smoke.

10 hours ago, wgdanson said:

That's an interesting point to note. There are many dogs in our village, all of them free to roam. And dogs being dogs, they crap wherever. And yet I never see it, I never smell it and I sure as hell have never stepped in it.

That's more than I can say for the lovely little market town than I lived in back in the UK! There was dog crap everywhere, despite the bylaws and penalties.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:21 PM, wgdanson said:

He did 'suggest' several months ago that all households should have 4 'bins' for glass, metal, plastic and 'green', but at their own expense. I agreed totally.

As i said, I am the only falang in the village!

I appreciate your dilemma and it goes far beyond your four bins.     Once you buy and use the bins and they're filled, what happens next?   

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So you burn all the plastic yourself? And what about the used oil and batteries?

No, I am aware that unless you have a proper incinerator. (I don't think my oil drum qualifies) these items shouldn't be burned.

If our local guy can't deal with it, I dump in a communal skip in town. It's not perfect I know, but we do the best we can.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, wgdanson said:

In the village where I live, there is no garbage collection (My Old Man doesn't exist) so we must burn some of it in our back garden. But we do it in a concrete pipe lifted off the ground so air can get under the fire, so it's all done in a short time with not much smoke. No alternative.

Dioxin gets released - - -

Learn composting

On 2/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, worgeordie said:

Jail a few and all others will think twice,a fine does not seem

to cut it, the Government needs to take this issue very seriously.

regards worgeordie

Hear, hear! Nature will do it with organic material, just pile it high and leave it... Next year, free fertilizer for rice fields!

On 2/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, tlandtday said:

People want first world services at third world prices

in my US house I pay an average of  $95 per month to our city for waste and water, I am sure it is not free in Canada also, one way or another you pay for it. either directly, or through tax, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Do we think we can get every household in a village to pay 3.000 bht per month for water and waste?

and if they did wouldn't thais need to make more money to afford it? and if they needed to make more money to support first world services , wouldn't it make everything more expensive?

I hear people complain about the rising cost of living in Thailand all the time, and at the same time always complaining why things in Thailand are not like in the west.

If things in Thailand are the same like in the west it would also cost like in the west, some of as can afford it most thais in the countryside can not.

32 minutes ago, sirineou said:

People want first world services at third world prices

in my US house I pay an average of  $95 per month to our city for waste and water, I am sure it is not free in Canada also, one way or another you pay for it. either directly, or through tax, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Do we think we can get every household in a village to pay 3.000 bht per month for water and waste?

and if they did wouldn't thais need to make more money to afford it? and if they needed to make more money to support first world services , wouldn't it make everything more expensive?

I hear people complain about the rising cost of living in Thailand all the time, and at the same time always complaining why things in Thailand are not like in the west.

If things in Thailand are the same like in the west it would also cost like in the west, some of as can afford it most thais in the countryside can not.

Not at all true.

My village blue bin service cost 75 baht a month.I offered the neighbours free access to my bin so as to not burn and pollute under my windows but alas it was 27 metres away..

Granted that Western foreigners appear to be addicted to the "I like Thailand because it is so cheap" mantra..but that is because the Thai are paid a miserable pittance.

It is generally called exploitation.

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Not at all true.

My village blue bin service cost 75 baht a month.I offered the neighbours free access to my bin so as to not burn and pollute under my windows but alas it was 27 metres away..

Granted that Western foreigners appear to be addicted to the "I like Thailand because it is so cheap" mantra..but that is because they are paid a miserable pittance.

It is generally called exploitation.

Yes indeed, but i wonder what happens to garbage collected for 2.5 bht per day.  I am sure it is not handled by non polluting, state of the art infrastructure.

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yes indeed, but i wonder what happens to garbage collected for 2.5 bht per day.  I am sure it is not handled by non polluting, state of the art infrastructure.

Yes Sirineou,

You are correct in that regard.What you are talking about is infrastructure and whilst I believe that it would not be quite as expensive as in the West (miserably lower wages) I do take your point that it would cost much more..

But then you have a country that refuses to reform its tax system and relies on "shadow money" to keep operating..

I am talking about the front end-the fact that the Thai (where I live from time to time)) care naught but a flying squirrel about pollution.

Archived